Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Removing the Mickey Wheel

A nice relaxing ride, great views, gentle rocking and rolling while the giant wheel slowly completes an extended loading circuit. And then it starts. Absolutely the most terrifying moment experienced on any ride. Ever.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by robbiem View Post
    IMO this would make a much better themed area for a park celebrating California and its history than a replica of a fun fair from New York
    Where is the replica of the "fun fair from New York"?
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by robbiem View Post
    The Barbary coast is also a term applied to the area around San Francisco at the Time of the 1849 gold rush and was even a TV show in the 70's with William Shatner and Doug McClure.

IMO this would make a much better themed area for a park celebrating California and its history than a replica of a fun fair from New York
    Just like to say that the Barbary Coast was known for gambling, prostitution, and crime... I'd much rather see North Beach or Fisherman's Wharf added there.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    Just like to say that the Barbary Coast was known for gambling, prostitution, and crime... I'd much rather see North Beach or Fisherman's Wharf added there.
    ....and the Fisherman's Wharf Chapter of the SF Chamber of Commerce thanks you. We certainly don't have any problems with those things now.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by budc25 View Post
    A nice relaxing ride, great views, gentle rocking and rolling while the giant wheel slowly completes an extended loading circuit. And then it starts. Absolutely the most terrifying moment experienced on any ride. Ever.
    Agreed. And that includes the 300 foot "Tarzan Swing" that I did in Costa Rica with a 200 foot free fall. No, Mickey's Terror Wheel and its swinging gondolas of death are still at the top of the list for some of the most terrifying moments of my life.

That said, I enjoy the wheel. While I don't think that it's fantastic, I enjoy the visual balance that it gives Paradise Pier. I agree that the land would look "naked" without the wheel. And once the sun sets, it's a stunning feast for the eyes. In addition, to echo the various comments above, it helps provide a visual barrier from the outside world, it's utilized well in World of Color, and the swinging gondolas of death make the wheel unique from the hundreds of other ferris wheels out there.

However, there is something about its design that I'm not crazy about. Maybe it's the giant Mickey face. It just seems so cheesy and silly to me. I would rather see something inspired by Victorian design to really help emphasize the new Victorian theme of the pier and evoke the spirit of that era in time. I don't know if the current giant Mickey conveys the idea of a Victorian seaside pier.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Where is the replica of the "fun fair from New York"?
    MFW is a design based of old Ferris Wheels including the Wonder Wheel at Coney Island, which still stands.

Name:  wonder_wheel.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  76.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by DCArocks View Post
    The fun wheel should stay. It is unique and beautiful. All it needs is a better que. I say remove jellyfish and zephyr!
    this

• -

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    MFW is a design based of old Ferris Wheels including the Wonder Wheel at Coney Island, which still stands.
    Maybe, however the other poster was referring to Paradise Pier as a whole which was definitely not based on New York. It is supposed to represent old time CA seaside amusement parks.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    Except both those areas were part of the "Barbary Coast" when that whole part of SF was called that. Times change.

I see nothing wrong with the wheel. As others have said, it can be a fun ride and it is used for other things very well, such as WoC.

Also, pet peeve of mine, the whole false logic argument along the line of "If Walt wanted one of those he would have built one." C'mon really?

I'm glad I'm not the only one terrified by the wheel >_<

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    6. Cheap roller coaster
    This is the second time I have seen the word "cheap" to describe CS.

CS cost $60mill. That is more than 5x the coast of an average coaster.
    To coaster fans and those ppl who can see the subtle, it looks like it cost a bundle. There is nothing cheap about the price, and really nothing cheap looking about the theme (maybe the queue should be better designed, but it isn't much different than most queue at Disneyland's costers.)

There is craftsmanship in the design of the ride and in the wood-like theme. It is minimalism and simplicity. It is so much more than a coaster too.

I am pround to have this coaster at our park. It's a bummer when fellow Disney fans cannot see how wonderful it is b/c it isn't dripping in color and it isn't designed to look like another object.

• Doombuggy Rider

With CARS LAND opening in DCA, it certainly raised the bar as well as expectations from Park Guests about what should be in DCA from now on .... even Team Disney Anaheim realizes what people LIKE & DISLIKE about Cars Land (notice how quickly cushion / padding were being added to Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, as well as removing beach balls from Luigi's Flying Tires) - let's hope Imagineers figure out what's causing breakdowns on Radiator Springs Racers, as well as where to create a 2nd Entrance / Exit into Cars Land (didn't anyone learn from Mickey's Toontown mistakes?)...

The same can be said about Team Disney Anaheim paying attention to what is popular @ DCA vs what isn't (A Bug's Land needs to go, Redwood Creek is a 1/2 a r s e Tom Sawyer's Island imitation); which means I don't see the Ferris Wheel leaving anytime soon (too many Park Guests actually ride it) but Paradise Pier could still use some more "oomph" (along with Condor Flats) and carnival rides n' games are not "oomph" ...

Let's hear a round of applause for the improved "live entertainment" inside DCA (please build a stage and dance area for the Five & Dime Swing Band so fans can cut some rug) -

C J

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

The thing about Paradise Pier is that it could be a great idea. They could have taken what Walt Disney didn't like about regular fairs and made something that the whole family can enjoy. Now, it should also be noted that with the addition of things like The Matterhorn Bobsleds, Walt Disney did indeed show an interest in bringing thrill rides into the parks later on in his career even though he was originally quoted as saying that Disneyland was built on the premise that everything should be for the whole family.

The powers that be of the time did indeed miss the mark with attractions like the Maliboomer, but I do see the pier being transformed more and more into a family friendly version of the Pier Amusement Park but it will take more work before it is quite there..

That being said, Mickey's Fun Wheel breaks a couple things that bother me. Firstly, the sightlines out f the park bug me and secondly, why would this pier have anything themed to Mickey Mouse given the back-story that they have only now half introduced?

• Glad to hear: Flynn Lives

Quote Originally Posted by darkamor View Post
    ... as well as where to create a 2nd Entrance / Exit into Cars Land (didn't anyone learn from Mickey's Toontown mistakes?
    There are 3 Entrances / Exits into Cars Land - The cross street at the intersection goes in both directions - one into Flick's Fun Fair and the other to the Pacific Warf food court area.

(off topic -- enter from the Pacific Warf side --- amazing view!)

---------- Post added 10-22-2012 at 10:11 PM ----------

What use in World of Color? It doesn't look like it is being used anymore for that... at least at the show I was at last week. It went dark as the show started and came back on at the very end.
    Daffy: How's this for a new team name: The Ducks!
    Bugs: Please! What kind of Mickey Mouse organization would name their team The Ducks?

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    It's nearly a direct copy of the Wonder Wheel, but as has been said before--there are only three wheels in the world that have ever had that double track/swinging cars design--the Wonder Wheel, Mickey's Fun Wheel and one in Japan. So it's not just a copy of an "old Ferris Wheel," it's a copy of something architecturally significant that can only be experienced in two other places in the world. It's a tribute, in my mind, much as California Screamin's exterior design is meant to evoke the old wooden roller coasters.

And yeah, as said, I didn't get the feeling that Paradise Pier as a whole was EVER based on Luna Park or any of the other Coney Island or Rockaway pier parks (the so-called "New York Fun Fairs")...I thought it was modeled after the Santa Cruz Boardwalk and such. The pier amusement parks were huge here in California back in the day.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast