Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Bad Disneyland experience?

Last Sunday I had a GREAT time, but 1 event. Fortunately I was having such a great time, the event did not spoil it and it was quickly forgotten. But I had to post this.
    It was between 8 and 9PM (heading for Buzz with out 8:15-9:15 fastpass) and we swung around the Matterhorn for some food. Churo's for me, and my friend wanted a Turkey Leg. At the cashier, one CM was talking to another as they were serving us and he said "My Fing vacation is next week" (Replace Fing with the real word) and the CM handling my friends money said "Dude, apologize." and had to say it twice before this guy did. Personally, I say many 4 letter words and don't care and so does my friend. We could care less about the apology. We just wanted our change the cashier was keeping till the other CM apologized. Well he finally said "I apologize" in a very sarcastic manner with his hand held over his name tag. As we were walking away, my friend said "Did you see that!!!" and I said "What?" and she said "He flipped me off under the counter!". I guess I was looking at the wrong hand! That boiled me rather well and my only thought was "I guess he does not like his job!"
    We went on Buzz and had a Blast! Then onto DCA and forgot about what happened. It was not till we left the park and was on the way home that I remembered it. That's when it snapped in "I guess THAT'S why he held his hand over his name tag!"
    Anyways, do you guys have any "bad" experiences you with to share? Also, do you think I should still complain about that dude? If yes, how?

• I like Cheese...

I talk like a sailor most of the time and I'm not easily offended.

The CM is "on stage", and should be fired for dropping an f-bomb where guests can/did hear it.

The thing that irritates me most often is when people cut in line, when it is obvious where the line is. I generally just step in front of them and wait for them to say someting. They usually don't.

• Minion

read my sig LOL most cast members have a right to be rude to guests, they get kicked around like dogs most of the time and some crack. But the f-bomb in a kids theme park isnt cool. Even this little demon says so
    Evil is lurking behind the matterhorn........ wait, that's just Mickey

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DemonicDemona
    read my sig LOL most cast members have a right to be rude to guests, they get kicked around like dogs most of the time and some crack. But the f-bomb in a kids theme park isnt cool. Even this little demon says so
    Its not that I minded the F word. I think I said it a few times to myself. It was the finger that pissed me off. That was more personal then accedently overhearing a conversation that was not ment for us.

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by gibbage
    Its not that I minded the F word. I think I said it a few times to myself. It was the finger that pissed me off. That was more personal then accedently overhearing a conversation that was not ment for us.
    Kind of like the difference between a CM carrying a tray of food tripping and spilling it on you and a CM with a tray of food getting pissed and thowing it on you. One is annoying but acceptable, the other is not.

I've been a CM, and have many friends who are, and I know they often get treated like crap sometimes. But guess what? That's part of the job. If you don't like it, quit. There are many others who will jump through hoops to be a CM in your place. I'm not saying there's an excuse for rude guests, because there certainly isn't, but there's also no excuse for rude CMs. That's not what you get paid for. If you want to be rude, I hear Knott's is hiring...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Banned User

Still, they shouldn't be speaking or acting like that around guests.

• Banned User

Woops, I was talking to gibbage, not Reaver. However, I did like Reaver's bit about Knotts .

• Yes ... Wicked! ;)

NO cast members should be talking like that on stage. They (we) can do what we want off stage ... but on stage is another story! If you knew the cast members name and location he was working ... you should have gone to City Hall so that the cast members in there could have called a manager of that location! People like that should NOT be working for Disneyland ... they should go work somewhere else ... ANYWHERE else!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WickedQueen
    they should go work somewhere else ... ANYWHERE else!
    I agree. To bad I did not take the situation up at City Hall. I could of described him and there was only 2 guys working the booth at the time.

It still trips me out when the CM's call the park a "stage" and your all "cast members". Not knocking it none! Its just odd for me

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver
    I've been a CM, and have many friends who are, and I know they often get treated like crap sometimes. But guess what? That's part of the job. If you don't like it, quit. There are many others who will jump through hoops to be a CM in your place. I'm not saying there's an excuse for rude guests, because there certainly isn't, but there's also no excuse for rude CMs. That's not what you get paid for. If you want to be rude, I hear Knott's is hiring...
    I can't believe you said that... that is totally unrealistic... People are not expendible... maybe that is really what is wrong with managment and the Disney Corporate Culture... How can Disney expect to treat their customers well, if they are not willing to stand behind their CM's from time to time? These are people; not numbers...

I am not saying that you have to go over board... But being a CM doesn't make anyone a second class citizen...

When I was studying for an MBA, it was pointed out that turn over rate of employees is the mark of mistakes in management... How some people can miss this, I don't know...
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by WickedQueen
    People like that should NOT be working for Disneyland ... they should go work somewhere else ... ANYWHERE else!
    Magic Mountian anyone? Knotts?

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    I can't believe you said that... that is totally unrealistic... People are not expendible... maybe that is really what is wrong with managment and the Disney Corporate Culture... How can Disney expect to treat their customers well, if they are not willing to stand behind their CM's from time to time? These are people; not numbers...

I am not saying that you have to go over board... But being a CM doesn't make anyone a second class citizen...

When I was studying for an MBA, it was pointed out that turn over rate of employees is the mark of mistakes in management... How some people can miss this, I don't know...
    I apologize. I wasn't trying to infer that CMs were expendible or second class. If I offended anyone, I cry your pardon.

What I meant was that as a CM you are in the service industry, and sevice people get sometimes mistreaded, usually unfairly. As that is the nature of the beast, you have to deal with it in a way that isn't lashing out at, or in front of, guests. Even the rude, foul, horribly obnoxious ones. Its the people around I'm thinking about. If you're at DL with your family, and some CM, frustrated with an unruly guest starts yelling or swearing, how do you explain to your kids that yes, this still is the happiest place on earth?

Most CMs are bedyond reproach in this area, and I applaud them all. It only takes that one loose cannon, however, to ruin someone's day. "It comes with the territory" is a bit crude, but also appropriate, to an extent...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Minion

what it comes down to is this, be nice to the cast, if you dont cause a problem you wont get one back.
    Evil is lurking behind the matterhorn........ wait, that's just Mickey

• Why do you keep talking?

^
    Wow...

I work at an amusement park, and It's not a Disney park so we have a much different crowd then what you guys get. That is so not how the world works sweetie. There is no excuse for any cast member to be anything but friendly and nice while on the clock, off the clock you are your own person. Maybe it's just me, but no matter what a guest says, or how bad my day is, I'm there to create memories, and I would like them too be great ones!
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• Puppy Cuddles

Unfortunately, I think that in this one case you can't expect Disneyland to be unique. This IS what comes with working with the public (something I thankfully don't have to do that much anymore) wherever. I worked at an upscale department store and people treated me like a dirt servant there to lick their boots clean. Something just makes customers who I'm sure are nice people go crazy mad with power.

The comment that if they're nice to CM's the CM's will be nice to them is ridiculous, IMHO. They just happened to walk up during a personal conversation. For some reason I don't see the rude behavior that merited the one finger salute.

Sorry about the bad experience, dude. Too bad you didn't get his name, but I know I usually am too shocked by such behavior to do anything about it.
    The King is back and he's ready to kick some tail. Do not mess with a mouse in black.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast