Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Goofy

Re: Lincoln makes way for Disney movies

haha lol

• Heavy Breather

As long as the regular show is still shown during the day, then I will be happy. I don't want to see Lincoln go, it's one of my favorites. If Disney were to close it down, they would feel the wrath of the Disneyland fanbois.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyH View Post
    I think it's a good idea. I remember the theater getting quite a bit of traffic the year of the 50th with the Disneyland Story. I think Mr. Lincoln himself is just not very exciting. It was different when audio-animatronics were the height of innovation and Mr. Lincoln looked so very much like Lincoln, but the vast majority of people do not come to Disneyland for a history lesson. Not when there's other attractions to see and little time to see them. And the technology is hardly cutting edge anymore.
    Sad but true. Nobody goes to Disneyland for a history lesson. My saying is GMWML is a place kids run by on their way to Indiana Jones or Space Mtn which probably will be broken down by the time they get there. But Lincoln very much is a cutting edge animatronic, probably the most advanced animatronic Disney has - the graceful hand movements are extraordinary. The cost of Lincoln's latest incarnation is said to be over a million dollars. But still few people come. I kind of think they ought to rotate what appears in the theater maybe bringing back Lincoln every few years for an announced limited engagement. Whatever they do, the theater should be left pretty much as is it. It's part of the park's storied history. (During Disneyland construction, the Opera House was used as a carpenter shop).
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

• I'm really at the Met.

I know I am a part of that entrenched minority that considers Mr. Lincoln to be a crown jewel. The attraction is one of a very few that still bears the marks of Walt Disney's fingerprints in a deep, profound way. Disneyland is not supposed to be a museum - true. But of the attractions from Walt's era that are in danger of disappearing, losing this one is tantamount to tearing out Walt's apartment to make way for VIP parade viewing... after all, Disneyland isn't a museum, so if the second floor of the fire station can be used for a more popular (and lucrative) purpose than sporadic tours reserved by fanboys with deep pockets, why not?

The flagpole in Town Square bears a plaque containing Walt Disney's dedication of Disneyland, and the core of the dedication states that "Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America with the hope that it will be a source of joy an inspiration to all the world." I understand that having a park wholly dedicated to the purpose to which the dedication plaque refers would be nothing more than Colonial Williamsburg, and the park never has and never can wholly dedicate itself to that one purpose (Walt's original intent was not to wholly do so, but he honored the American idea in many ways in many attractions) but in recent decades we have seen a full-scale retreat from this; the founder's stated dedication. Disney has become a global brand - a stakeholder in globalization as much as any other company. But it must not be forgotten where its roots lie, and in the philosophy of the man who established it.

Mr. Lincoln is a comparatively small reminder of the man who created this park; he idolized Abraham Lincoln as evidenced by his boyhood skits and hijinks with Walt Pfifer, he possessed a profound, if seemingly naive (though I don't think so), faith in the American Dream and the American Experience, and he filled his park with tributes to Americana. Those tributes are fast disappearing to make way for more popular, modern elements that are apt to generate more instant guest recognition. The Rivers of America's attractions (excepting Pirates Lair, which overshadowed a piece of Americana that we all grew up with), the immersive environments of Main Street New Orleans Square (and these are environments... not attractions... so are only indirectly celebrating it if at all) and the Grand Canyon Diorama are the sole elements that celebrate the ideas and dreams and hard facts that created America to any extent. Mr. Lincoln was the only attraction left in this park that celebrated and eloquently articulated the American idea in Lincoln's speech. It was the only one that fully celebrated the American dream. It was the only one that admitted the hard facts of the American experience. And it was the only one where, though enhanced and revised, the entire script and show bore the unsullied fingerprints of the man who built this park.

I get the same feeling in Mr. Lincoln I get when I enter Club 33 or enter Walt's suite. It is something that he approved, he designed, and (excepting Club 33) he walked and dwelt in. Losing this attraction to make way for something "entertaining" speaks volumes not only of changes within the Walt Disney Company itself, but also in the sensibilities of Disneyland guests. Losing this attraction, for me, is losing not just one more shred of the Walt-ness of Disneyland, but also losing a little more faith in the American people who patronize this park. You can say what you want about the American Adventure and Hall of Presidents being more extravagant, but let's not hide the fact that THESE shows are empty compared to just about any other show on the whole WDW resort. The tastes of the American people have changed and I think we've lost a sense and respect for who we are. That may be the media's fault, our school system's fault, our parent's fault... who knows.

Perhaps Lincoln is doomed to die. Pity. We need that speech now more than ever.
    Last edited by Circlevision91; 08-04-2012 at 02:01 PM.

• 7/17/2005 I was there!

Well said Circlevision91!!
    "Fantasy, if it's really convincing, can't become dated, for the simple reason that it represents a flight into a dimension that lies beyond the reach of time" Walt Disney

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Circlevision91 View Post
    I know I am a part of that entrenched minority that considers Mr. Lincoln to be a crown jewel. The attraction is one of a very few that still bears the marks of Walt Disney's fingerprints in a deep, profound way. Disneyland is not supposed to be a museum - true. But of the attractions from Walt's era that are in danger of disappearing, losing this one is tantamount to tearing out Walt's apartment to make way for VIP parade viewing... after all, Disneyland isn't a museum, so if the second floor of the fire station can be used for a more popular (and lucrative) purpose than sporadic tours reserved by fanboys with deep pockets, why not?

The flagpole in Town Square bears a plaque containing Walt Disney's dedication of Disneyland, and the core of the dedication states that "Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America with the hope that it will be a source of joy an inspiration to all the world." I understand that having a park wholly dedicated to the purpose to which the dedication plaque refers would be nothing more than Colonial Williamsburg, and the park never has and never can wholly dedicate itself to that one purpose (Walt's original intent was not to wholly do so, but he honored the American idea in many ways in many attractions) but in recent decades we have seen a full-scale retreat from this; the founder's stated dedication. Disney has become a global brand - a stakeholder in globalization as much as any other company. But it must not be forgotten where its roots lie, and in the philosophy of the man who established it.

Mr. Lincoln is a comparatively small reminder of the man who created this park; he idolized Abraham Lincoln as evidenced by his boyhood skits and hijinks with Walt Pfifer, he possessed a profound, if seemingly naive (though I don't think so), faith in the American Dream and the American Experience, and he filled his park with tributes to Americana. Those tributes are fast disappearing to make way for more popular, modern elements that are apt to generate more instant guest recognition. The Rivers of America's attractions (excepting Pirates Lair, which overshadowed a piece of Americana that we all grew up with), the immersive environments of Main Street New Orleans Square (and these are environments... not attractions... so are only indirectly celebrating it if at all) and the Grand Canyon Diorama are the sole elements that celebrate the ideas and dreams and hard facts that created America to any extent. Mr. Lincoln was the only attraction left in this park that celebrated and eloquently articulated the American idea in Lincoln's speech. It was the only one that fully celebrated the American dream. It was the only one that admitted the hard facts of the American experience. And it was the only one where, though enhanced and revised, the entire script and show bore the unsullied fingerprints of the man who built this park.

I get the same feeling in Mr. Lincoln I get when I enter Club 33 or enter Walt's suite. It is something that he approved, he designed, and (excepting Club 33) he walked and dwelt in. Losing this attraction to make way for something "entertaining" speaks volumes not only of changes within the Walt Disney Company itself, but also in the sensibilities of Disneyland guests. Losing this attraction, for me, is losing not just one more shred of the Walt-ness of Disneyland, but also losing a little more faith in the American people who patronize this park. You can say what you want about the American Adventure and Hall of Presidents being more extravagant, but let's not hide the fact that THESE shows are empty compared to just about any other show on the whole WDW resort. The tastes of the American people have changed and I think we've lost a sense and respect for who we are. That may be the media's fault, our school system's fault, our parent's fault... who knows.

Perhaps Lincoln is doomed to die. Pity. We need that speech now more than ever.

Bravo, bravo.

makes me wish I was going
    to the park between these dates :/ I would love to see some on the big screen...
    Guess I'll just have to wait until January '13 for little mermaid.
    But I d enjoy the Lincoln show and I truly hope they don't get rid of it altogether.

• You're late for TEAAA!!!!

I would love to see Snow White on the big screen. I hope they put a popcorn and drink cart in the lobby area to snack while watching movies since being in there for more than 30 minutes without something to chew on would make me a bit restless. I mean, naturally it wouldn't, but since I'm at a theme park where I could be riding rides instead of watching a movie, at least make it a bit more enjoyable.

List of other movies I'd love to see: Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Aladdin, Little Mermaid (doubt it since they're doing it in 3D soon). The only one that's really a MUST for me is Snow White. I was so mad when I figured out the Carthay was going to be a restaurant instead of an actual theater looping Snow White ala Main Street Cinema.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Wow, if this rumor is true then Main Street is indeed becoming a glorified shopping mall. Sad.....
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Sock Puppet

So watching a giant tv is more interesting and more of a draw than watching an advanced audio-animatronic? I don't understand this at all.

• I'm really at the Met.

Not necessarily. Disneyland management thinks that a giant tv screen showing recognizable Disney characters is more of a draw than a show featuring an advanced audio-animatronic preceded by a dramatic and emotional history lesson disguised as a moving oil painting that has nothing to do with a recognizable Disney character and requires a touch of brain power to be fully appreciated. They also think the masses will spend an hour-and-a-half or so of the park time they have spent close to $90 for inside a movie theater watching a movie they could buy on Blu-Ray at Wal-Mart for $20 to $30... or see during their local theater's saturday family matinee for 10 bucks.

• Artistic integrity

Showing films in the Lincoln theater has been going on for years .. for private "CM" events .. which invite family and friends.

They drop a movie screen .. directly in front of the curtains ... Nothing is touched behind. I've been to many screenings .. got a good audio system .. rigged to the permanent movie projector in the back.

The only thing that has to happen to show Lincoln .. is to electronically draw the movie screen back up. That's it!

• Disney Obsessed

.. well if AP's come for the movies that are special just for them... they count as a person entering the park right? So maybe this is part ploy to keep their numbers up during the fall by getting AP's that probably would've come any ways, to for sure come and keep the counts high...?? Maybe I'm in crazy town I dunno...

• Seeker of Fun

It would be sad to see it go forever! I think it's a great part of Disneyland history, and American history. To me, it gets back to Walt Disney's original speech.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

I'd be sad if Lincoln "left the building"........

So many memories of my Grandfather & I....... I've posted before about my visits to DL w/ my Grandfather...... the only rules were....... "we ride the DLRR completely around the MK" and "then we visit GMWML"....... after that, I was free to choose anything we would do together.......

As a future history teacher, I too lament the loss of perspective on what is cool versus what is meaningful. Sadly, what is meaningful and even "uplifting" about "Mr. Lincoln" is being shunted aside to the clicking sound of attendance....... even though I understand the need for DL to maximize it's real estate.....

It makes me sad, because it's a sad reflection on our society, that discards it's past for whatever Kim Kardashian is doing these days.............

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast