Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Lincoln makes way for Disney movies

Retrocool: I wrote a lengthy article about "Song of the South" myself some years ago for savedisney.com - - now archived at songofthesouth.net.:

Song of the South.net - News Archives: SaveDisney.com - In Defense of Disney's Uncle Remus

Snippet:

"...Though the film has been labelled "insensitive" or worse... "racist"... I see it as quite the opposite: a reaffirming story of the bond between two friends that refuse to be separated by race, class, age -- a friendship that is forged and held against all odds. A tale of unity...."

The film seems more concerned about the the power of innocence and storytelling to touch the heart, unite, teach and heal (recurring Walt themes), rather than any worldly politics. Naive perhaps, but not racist.

A related article, "The Spirit of Youth":

"...Peter Pan, Song of the South, Pollyanna, The Three Lives of Thomasina, and, perhaps most memorably, Mary Poppins, all center on the concept of a distant parental figure lost in the trappings of adult society; ...propriety, power, marital problems, mourning, regret, politics, business, money... all of these "grownup" concerns were shown to distract from the pure, joyful innocence and simplicity of a child's point-of-view..."

http://www.songofthesouth.net/news/a...itofyouth.html

We might discover Disneyland's Opera House could be "the Laughing Place!"
    Last edited by merlinjones; 08-06-2012 at 07:14 AM.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    I do think its location is problematic for a lot of people. Many folks think of Main Street as just shops and restaurants, and it flies over their radar that there's even an attraction there.
    Well that's what happens when you minimize it all into shops.. taking out the other entertainment options
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    The film seems more concerned about the the power of innocence and storytelling to touch the heart, unite, teach and heal (recurring Walt themes), rather than any worldly politics. Naive perhaps, but not racist.
    Speaking of naivete...

•   
    • Minion

I think the idea of alternating GMWML and Disney classics is very very viable. Why would you come to a Disney park just to see a movie? Well, for those who have been touring the park all day and just need to sit down somewhere with a/c, it becomes very appealing.

Also, there's such a difference between seeing a film at home and on the big screen. I was lucky enough to see Fantasia in one of its cinema releases and I'll never forget the way the colors just splashed across the screen. That's a worthwhile experience: showing Disney films the way they were shown back in the day. Heck, they could even take a page from El Capitan in Hollywood and have an organ player, vaudeville acts, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo4 View Post
    I attended two Voices of Liberty - Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln shows today (Sun. 8/5) at 1pm and 2pm. The 1pm show had a good-sized crowd, with the theater being 1/2 full, and probably a little more than that. The 2pm show was not as crowded--perhaps 1/3rd full. But I do think the Voices of Liberty are having some effect on attendance. Heck, the singers are the main reason *I* went to watch the shows. I'll be sad to see them end their engagement in Sept. But the idea of screening classic Disney movies on select nights sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

I have been to GMWML at least 4 times this summer because I just love the Voices of Liberty singing performances. I wish they could have this throughout the year. Each time I went, the theater was about 75% full which was amazing for this venue. I also liked the Walt movie/history that they used to have before renovation, I believe it is still showing in the museum room. Another idea would be to have an info video about the resort parks with short clips of park history, trivia, hidden mickey examples, things that are popular topics here. I do like the idea of screening disney movies too.
    Last edited by plumiegirl; 08-08-2012 at 11:39 AM. Reason: spelling and punctuation

I have an AP and have been thinking this would be a good idea. I haven't seen most of the classics in 20 years, but the more I think of it, I wouldn't drive and pay parking just to see the movie. Also, if I were already in the park, I don't think I'd miss fireworks or WOC for Swiss Family Robinson.

They say Aug 23rd. How will APs be notified? I seem to be out of that loop.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
    Mark Twain

I like the attraction but totally agree; it's not very popular. So using the theater to show Disney classics sounds like a good idea to me. You don't have to dump Mr. Lincoln. He can easily be kept behind the screen. Then they could continue the show during the day.

I personally think Walt would've dumped the whole lincoln show a long time ago.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Did it ever occur to Disney that the Lincoln show would actually be a better fit for Frontierland?

After all, Lincoln was President in the 1860's, the same time when we were exploring the Frontier and when the Wild West was coming into its own.

I'm not sure why they opted to put it on Main Street.

Location. Location. *Location. *The Lincoln show would likely do better in another land further back in the park. *Tired guests would be more inclined to go in to sit down, rest, and see the show before continuing their day at the park. *The front of the park is not ideal for a sit down show. *The majority of guests pass it right by at the beginning of their day with an agenda to accomplish, and on the way out most people are ready to leave and too tired to stop by for a show. *Lincoln isn't outdated; he's just not located in the best spot for a sit down show. *

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    I personally think Walt would've dumped the whole lincoln show a long time ago.
    Maybe the show...but I think he'd still want some sort of show about America in the park

I love "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln" and visit as often as I can. This show is typically the first thing I do when visiting the park and it never ceases to amaze me. It is obvious that attendance is always low and I wish I knew why. For me, the message in Mr. Lincoln's address sets the stage for the rest of my day in "The Magic Kingdom" since both Lincoln and Disney are both magical people based on their individual legacy. I hope this show continues and perhaps with some imagineering magic a few changes could be made to draw more interest.

• Minion

It's often the last thing I do before leaving the park. I also think that with the new Lincoln film featuring Daniel Day Lewis, there will be a renewed interest in Lincoln which will cause a bump.

• Quality not quantity

Are there other "AP" only events inside the park? I always felt that once you passed the turnstiles everyone was pretty much equal inside the park.

If I go for a day of fun with my AP buddies, does that mean I would be left out of the evenings movie?
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^yes...they close the parks..and sometimes show WOC, or Fantasmic or a parade and ONLY Ap's can enter....even if your friends are

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast