Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: People mover not coming back, Subs staying?

Quote Originally Posted by DaHatTrick View Post
    Im still not giving up on the Peoplemover, I dont care what anyone says
    I still haven't given up on Country Bear Jamboree, my heart tells me that they're going to put CBJ in DCA, or maybe relocate Pooh!

Then the reality sinks in.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    Alice in Wonderland's ugly tarp and rails will be removed to rails that can retract when they are not needed.
    This is great to hear, thanks for the info!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    There is enough room where Nemo, Inntoventions and just the Autipia Q to make 2 E tickets that for sure its a HUGE area

As for Disney not putting that much money into a project...I think Disney would and will put that much money into the parks unless they want them to go down in attendance. They just had a price increase and next year they only thing they are adding are shows and maybe a old parade...that's fine for Disney fans but you need to appeal to more then just them unless they want the numbers to slip.

Unless Disney get's lazy/cheap again then I see no reason they won't pump more money into the parks giving us 2 new big rides and another dark ride in Fantasy land to bring in more guests....I think an Original ride, a Tron ride/or Avengers ride and a Beauty and the Beast ride over a ten year period would draw MILLIONS more then the Subs and Autopia are now.....make rides people will wait 2 hours for not 40 mins
    Uh, yeah. Disney doesn't build two E Tickets at the same time in the same park anymore, (outside of building a new theme park or adding a land where nothing existed) and Nemo 2 is coming and Tony Baxter said the Subs aren't being looked at for removal.

Case closed.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkermonkey View Post
    As for the land use for Motorboat Cruise Dock area, Tony said that a lot of people have wondered why they haven't used that space for anything new. Many ideas have been considered but the issue is that that area has the Monorail running above it, Autopia running next to it and the Subs running below it. With all that, it's near impossible to do much at this time.

im surprised Tony Baxter would say something like that because the motorboat area does not run over the sub building and the sub building does not go anywhere near the IASW area. The sub building runs on the far east section of the land and the only thing above it is the Autopia track. as. After of fact most of the Autopia track that runs above the sub building used to be the Tomorrowland autopia track. The balance of the track used to be the old fantasyland autopia before it was merged with the existing autopia.

Theonly thing they really need to do if they want to develop a portion of that land is remove the autopia, the old people over track in that area and the inner '8' loop portion of the monorail for height clearance. They could just leave the outer loop of the monorail alone.

Im actually surprised theydid not use the IASW mall area and part of the lagoon near the old motorboat dock as the new location for the fantasy fair. Only problem with that would be the constant monorail passing overhead of course

• Suspended

I am glad that Disneyland will never get a PeopleMover again because I love how WDW has it and it is uniquely theirs. Plus the one installed at WDW was way superior to the original at Disneyland. Keep WDW as a better destination than Disneyland.

• Banned User

The Peoplemover.
    He said that it will not be back in ANY form and asked us to get this information out there. There are a couple reasons why.
    1. The track has badly deteriorated in several spots.
    2. OSHA regulations would require a TON of changes. First they would have to add railings to the entire track. Second they would have to add stairways and other means to get down all along the track in case of evacuation. Third they would need to enclose the track so that people could not reach out to touch the side of the buildings as you travel along the track.

Tony said that they have tired many different ideas to try to get a ride that worked there, but nothing really worked. He really wants it there. Unfortunately, no one thought to ask when is the track was going to come down.
    If this is the case, get rid of the tracks already.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    im surprised Tony Baxter would say something like that because the motorboat area does not run over the sub building and the sub building does not go anywhere near the IASW area.

Im actually surprised theydid not use the IASW mall area and part of the lagoon near the old motorboat dock as the new location for the fantasy fair. Only problem with that would be the constant monorail passing overhead of course
    You're wrong about the Small World part I'm afraid.

The submarine dry dock and maintenance bay is located maybe 175 feet north-east of the north end of the motor boat dock, that's close to IASW as you can see it in the backstage area where the parades come out from Small World. You could use the dock area and pond, but the ride would have to stretch back to where the Fantasyland Autopia entrance was, and use some, but not all of the land.

The sub track makes a sort of backwards "C" with its tip in Tomorrowland, and the top of the other tip near Small World, with the back of the C against the east side of the park.

What Tony meant was that it looks like there is a lot of land around the Motor Boat dock and Small World, but really there is a whole ton of maintenance for the subs.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 08-05-2012 at 06:45 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    If this is the case, get rid of the tracks already.
    I dunno... if nothing else they do provide some shade in the area. And I like having them there for the memories.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Minion

If they removed the subs that would be a *lot* of area to have to fill with something big. That takes big bucks. And if it wasn't at least as pretty as the lagoon (the only clear body of water in the park) then it wouldn't be much of a gain.

Since every one else is giving ideas, here's mine. Take out the old PM track but retain the bases. Install a complete new rail/rollercoaster track system (steel tube). The new PM would be a completely enclosed pod system (think of the pods in the Incredibles). The loading/unloading system would be like the original PM and always move. Get into a pod and it closes. It would be a powered roller coaster instead of a gravity coaster. Faster than the PM but able to slow down or accelerate for whatever reason. Don't make it a pure thrill ride but a style of transportation with speed. Instead of routing through existing buildings take it through it's own venues. WDI could tie in anything they wanted; Tron, Star Wars, Incredibles, Mission to Mars. Think of when Ms Incredible was on the outside of the pod and it was zipping through the buildings. The new track route could go anywhere; above ground, below ground, zip around the Autopia, even go through SM.
    Last edited by MRaymond; 08-05-2012 at 07:25 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    If they removed the subs that would be a *lot* of area to have to fill with something big. That takes big bucks. And if it wasn't at least as pretty as the lagoon (the only clear body of water in the park) then it wouldn't be much of a gain.
    Agree. Look what happened in WDW, the 20,000 Subs area was filled in and pretty much left the way it was, only many years later when the company decided to expand Fantasyland did something get built. If they do, maybe in ten years, decide to take out the subs, most of the land will go to Fantasyland, as most of it is north of the Matterhorn. They'll have to re-route the monorail and take out the Autopia, but they could put in some nice Fantasyland stuff as the Sub show building sort of stretches down almost parallel to the Small World corridor. Of course, if they take out the Subs in the future, that doesn't mean they can't use the showbuilding for something else, it is nicely hidden. Much more practical would be to expand Frontierland into the trash collection area/Circle D corral north of the park and adjacent to Toon town.

Thanks for the info guys!

I think we're going to see the sub/Autopia/Motor Boat Cruise areas pretty unchanged for at least the next decade. Why should Disney go through all the trouble of digging up the sub show building and Autopia when they have a ton of space where Innoventions is, as well as the Magic Eye Theater space for something smaller. I might think that they could even put a station/queue for an E-ticket where the Starcade is and build the showbuilding behind Star Tours/Main Street. And we can't forget the real estate in Frontierland. All in all Disney's got a lot of land to work with without the hassle that would come with the Autopia/sub area.

• Former Cast Member

Just for reference, here is the area that the submarine track covers...the yellow circle is where the maintenance bay is:

Name:  Clipboard03.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  197.1 KB

I won't get into speculation about what may or may not be done with the area, but I thought the map may be helpful to some.

• Minion

The Submarine Voyage is not going anywhere (at least for now) as they just spent a lot of money on it.
    Yeah, the recent expenditure made me really doubt that the subs would be removed anytime soon.

I was hoping that the Peoplemover track might have been repurposed as a pedestrian walkway, but it sounds like it might be too far gone for even that.

as long as something uses the track. Its a shame to know that Disneyland has a few Dead spots in the park, they should also do something about the old motor boat cruise area. add something there too.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast