Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Re: People mover not coming back, Subs staying?

I was also at the Northwest Meet and i asked Tony what was going to happen with
    Innoventions. He said nothing will happen until they get the funding. I was also suprised to hear how far under the submarines actually go . He said it was also the most expensive ride to upkeep as well.

• -

I've seen several posts on here from people claiming to have "inside" information and saying the Peoplemover will be back in some form. I don't however find that very reassuring as the Conestoga Wagons were brought back not in their original form as well... ...as a venue for selling horrible McDonald's fries.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Suspended

Please leave the PeopleMover as a WDW unique attraction. It works in their Tomorrowland so much better than in Disneylands. I love how it is totally covered at WDW. In Disneyland I thought it was so ugly and very unfuturistic how they had each vehicle covered.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1971 View Post
    Please leave the PeopleMover as a WDW unique attraction. It works in their Tomorrowland so much better than in Disneylands. I love how it is totally covered at WDW. In Disneyland I thought it was so ugly and very unfuturistic how they had each vehicle covered.
    Actually, it is the individual vehicle coverage, the track inclines, and the Superspeed Tunnel that makes the original far superior.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by bigwavedave View Post
    Actually it did have a movie tie in TRON

You are correct though that happened much later. Where the PeopleMover originally went through the Carousel Of Progress building one could see the entire model for Progress City, (not the chopped-down version at WDW -- it was much much larger.) Progress City, aka EPCOT the city, featured the PeopleMover as a radial transportation system that would take residents from the city center to its periphery with stops along the way. Thus the Carousel of Progress, EPCOT, the Monorail, and PeopleMover were all tied together in concept.

It was only after the removal of Carousel of Progress and the Progress City model that the SuperSpeed tunnel was built showing racing scenes of different sorts -- and later the computer graphic scenes from Tron.

• Dave

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Omnispace View Post

You are correct though that happened much later. Where the PeopleMover originally went through the Carousel Of Progress building one could see the entire model for Progress City, (not the chopped-down version at WDW -- it was much much larger.) Progress City, aka EPCOT the city, featured the PeopleMover as a radial transportation system that would take residents from the city center to its periphery with stops along the way. Thus the Carousel of Progress, EPCOT, the Monorail, and PeopleMover were all tied together in concept.

It was only after the removal of Carousel of Progress and the Progress City model that the SuperSpeed tunnel was built showing racing scenes of different sorts -- and later the computer graphic scenes from Tron.
    Thanks for the feed back I think that is one of the things disneyland is missing is good old fashioned fun educational attractions. I think in the end not much will change with Tommorowland. If DL gets clobbered by Universal's new Harry Potter for just keeping as is they kind of get what they ask for
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Actually, it is the individual vehicle coverage, the track inclines, and the Superspeed Tunnel that makes the original far superior.
    I agree. Not to take anything away from Walt Disney World's, but Disneyland's was more fun.

Tony Baxter said the PM is never coming back, did he mean in it original form or did he also meant no replacement too. Did he actually said no replacement? If there is no replacement, there would be alot of wasted space manly thru the buildings.

I have accepted that the Peoplemover in it original form will never return but I still think a similar ride or something completely different can replace it. I want a similar ride but would be ok with any kind of replacement.

If they think it can't be marketable than slap on Wall-E or Stitch. I know alot of people do not like movie tie-ins but it might be the only way.
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

Sleeping Beauty Castle is the most realistic of the Disney castles. The others look much to "theme park-ish" and way over the top. And Cinderella Castle in Florida and Sleeping Beauty Castle in Paris need to remove that cheesy stage in front. You'll NEVER see a real castle with a stage in front of it.

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    If today's Disney and Bob Iger wanted to leave a real, lasting legacy, they'd seriously consider investing the $1 billion or whatnot that the PeopleMover would cost to reinvent. From the ground up. Tear down the leaf-strewn, ugly, abandoned tracks and start all over again. Why?

Because the future is here and it's not what we thought it would be. THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL STATEMENT: The future of our cities depends on mass transportation, and no one has figured out a system that meets with widespread acceptance. The PeopleMover could, as it was in the 1960s, be a visible demonstration of how creativity, imagination and ingenuity can solve the problems we face.

Disney has become an entertainment company without peer, but it is ONLY an entertainment company. It no longer innovates or stretches itself. A completely re-thought PeopleMover could be a showcase for a world of tomorrow, a system like the first one that exists in "miniature" to show what could work in a real-world setting for the future.

They could extend it so that you have an option to ride a "fun" PeopleMover INSIDE the park and a "real" PeopleMover between the Esplanade and the parking garage.

It would cost a fortune. No company could build it ... except Disney.

No, I know it's not to be ... but imagining a world where the impossible is possible, where Disney creates entertainment AND revolutionizes the world, that's sort of fun.
    Very well said!

• Koubu Pilot

One thing I have wondered about is if the PeopleMover had never closed and continued to operate even into 2012, would the attraction have closed like Alice in Wonderland did in 2010 because Cal-OSHA is pointing out a safety concern with the track? Would we go to the park tomorrow and find the station's speedramps blacked off while Disney is forced to find a solution?

Thinking about it today, a thought that came to mind has a new station more or less where the original is located, but the track is on a new alignment, still going out and back over the Autopia. Whatever gets built where Innoventions is located has a level just for the PeopleMover to preview Star Tours and Space Mountain, and then actually entering the new attraction on a lower level.

• Banned User

Wow, so its finally been confirmed what most of us knew years ago, its not coming back. I hope this ends the discussion, but I doubt it lol. But glad he confirmed it. Its been stated over and over again, its too many restrictions and too much money and if they couldve brought them back, they wouldve years ago by now. They cant and I dont think its worth the time and money to do it and I was a big PM fan, but out with the old and in with the new. But its been out nearly two decades already lol.

They need to finally tear out the track so people can truly move on.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I've seen several posts on here from people claiming to have "inside" information and saying the Peoplemover will be back in some form. I don't however find that very reassuring as the Conestoga Wagons were brought back not in their original form as well... ...as a venue for selling horrible McDonald's fries.
    Horrible?!

Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    They need to finally tear out the track so people can truly move on.
    I agree.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan View Post
    I'll accept that. Of course we can't have the original style cars back - too many idiots who don't take responsibility for themselves these days - but the tracks in use? Now we're talking
    A ride is a ride. I mean this in the sense that PeopleMover, RocketRods, whatever comes next... Whether its an all new ride using the right-of-way or a re-vamp. What is all this nonsense about grandfathering in ADA restrictions? Nobody ever questions why there's this myth built up that Disney can build CarsLand in the parking lot but not a new ride through Tomorrowland in the first theme park.

• I'm a Lutheran

I'd rather it not come back than have a bunch of staircases all over the place. Safety standards these days are too darn strict. :/ I wouldn't mind seeing an enclosed PeopleMover though. If they were able to somehow make the Rocket Rods work, then we'd have a high-speed thrill ride around Tomorrowland through giant tubes. That'd be awesome. Reminds me of the Martian Lego's from the late 90's/early 2000's. NOSTALGIA.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast