Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Re: People mover not coming back, Subs staying?

My friends told me that Baxter made a statement that the track in several places is in terrible condition, when I say terrible meaning its about ready to colapse, he also stated that they would have to redesign and modify the track to get it up to code to Cal-OSHA safety standards. In the end they'd spend thousands of dollars just fixing the track itself and reinstalling the attraction mechanics, and another thousands of dollars designing and building the attraction vehicles and I honestly dont see Disney spending that amount of money for a attraction that is outdated. As much as people want it to come back, its not going to come back and I think those tracks will come down withn the next five years. Im actually glad Baxter made it very clear about the issue at hand, I guess the "bring back the peoplemover" threads will finally dispose of

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Look, the monorail is a ride in the sky without stairs.

• Senior Minion

^ True, but it's grandfathered in.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

Blog Entries

But does anybody really have a source for these crazy rumors?

Monorail grandfathered in, but not Alice, and certainly not PeopleMover.

Is it conjecture? Mythos? Or fact?

• -

Quote Originally Posted by OfficeDepot14 View Post
    I honestly dont see Disney spending that amount of money for a attraction that is outdated.
    Actually, if they put the money into plussing and fixing the ride, it would no longer be outdated.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

• Super Genius

Ventura, California; 96 miles (154Km) from Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    Yea I can do without the Nemo Subs too, they just threw in that theme with little thought.
    Hear, hear! I'm getting kind of sick of Disneyland rides modeled after Disney movies. Jedi Training Academy thinks outside the box in that it's modeled after a non-Disney movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    Nemo and Submarines have nothing to do with the future. I wish they'd take the ride out and put something in there more in line with the future and sci-fi.
    I never thought of that, but you're absolutely right. Since Tomorrowland has two attractions based on Star Wars (Star Tours and Jedi Training Academy) maybe they could model it after Star Trek; it was mentioned in an episode of Star Trek that there were underwater research facilities on the ocean floor. Entire colonies (or even cities) inside domes on the ocean floor. So, they could have these domes in Submarine Voyage with federation shuttlecraft going to and from the domes. Shoot, for that matter, throw in the aliens' spaceship from the Aliens franchise on the ocean floor with Federation crews studying the wreckage....better yet, throw the Titanic in there, too with Federation crews attempting to raise it.
    When I go to Disneyland, I tune my FRS Radio to channel 2, without a quiet code. They're faster than a cell phone and you can talk to a whole group at a time, and you don't have to get everyone's cell phone number in advance.

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post

Fact. Tony Baxter talked about it at the Pacific Northwest MouseMeet a week ago. He said that since they changed the PeopleMover to make it into Rocket Rods that caused the People Mover to lose its grandfather status. To bring it back they would have to add railings and staircases along the entire track.

The only thing he said about Alice is that they do have a solution and it includes retractable railings. Why they cannot use these on the peoplemover I do not know.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    The only thing he said about Alice is that they do have a solution and it includes retractable railings. Why they cannot use these on the peoplemover I do not know.
    They could use retractable railings. But the PM's outdoor track is at least 20 times longer than Alice's. Rebuilding new track would be prohibitively expensive by itself. Now add retractable railings all along both sides. It's just not worth the expense.

For that kind of capital outlay, I'd rather have a brand spankin' new E-Ticket experience on par with Potter/FJ or Transformers. Iron Man, Avengers, Marvel... I don't care. Just knock my socks off!!

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Lighting Design Lover

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post

THe Monorail doesn't need to be grandfathered in because there are never any employees that walk the track, if a Monorail breaks they tow it to the station and if (for some odd reason) they couldn't do that they would most likely evacuate with a Genie (which if I'm not correct is also how they service the track).

It's the same reason that outdoor Roller-coasters don't need them except at zone separation points and lifts (which are the only places where'd they evacuate mid ride).

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post
    They could use retractable railings. But the PM's outdoor track is at least 20 times longer than Alice's. Rebuilding new track would be prohibitively expensive by itself. Now add retractable railings all along both sides. It's just not worth the expense.

For that kind of capital outlay, I'd rather have a brand spankin' new E-Ticket experience on par with Potter/FJ or Transformers. Iron Man, Avengers, Marvel... I don't care. Just knock my socks off!!

I agree, it's not worth the expense to bring them back. Disneyland park has been far too reliant ( since the 50th) on nostalgia. It needs to innovate again and bring new memories to the park. They need to stop dusting off old rides and bringing them back. DCA has been the park to bring fresh new innovative ideas lately, if DL wants to stay relevant it needs to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Actually, if they put the money into plussing and fixing the ride, it would no longer be outdated.
    Exactly. All of these negative comments about the PeopleMover never coming back are the same things said about the Subs.

We all know Disney can bring it back if they choose too. Yes, it would be expensive. Bringing back the Subs was expensive. Unfortunatley they did a crappy job on them, but the point is they can do it if they choose too.

Many choose to view things through the narrow limitations Disney Execs currently have set. "Not in the budget", "Too expensive". Past regimes were even more restrictive, but we have seen that the parameters can change. The easier we are to accept the limititations, the more limiting they will become.

A new, updated PeopleMover could be a fabulous attraction. Even the rather mundane WDW version serves the MK well.

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by lnsemsf View Post
    Lets demolish Sleeping Beauty castle. It's so small compared to the Florida, Tokyo, Paris, and Shanghai castles. Time to finally make Disneyland impressive to visitors who have seen the other parks! Thats the least modern and impressive thing in the park and it should be leveled and a new much more impressive one in it's place! Heck it's not even unique anymore because Hong Kong has it. If the subs have to go because they're a bygone era, the castle should too!
    No, just no.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on if something is new, I reject it immediately because its frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• DLRinfo

Quote Originally Posted by theswillmerchant View Post
    Apparently, at the Pacific Northwest Mouse Meet, Tony Baxter said that the People Mover is most likely never coming back to Disneyland. It is as some of us feared that the ride is not up to modern safety standards and is not grandfathered in because of the Rocket Rods. He also said that the Subs are not scheduled for removal.

I'm getting this information mostly through twitter and facebook from people at the event, including Lou Mongello (WDW Radio). I was wondering if anyone watched his live stream (or was there) and has more information on this. This sounds pretty concrete to me though.
    Technically, the ride is not scheduled for removal, however, the subs, Autopia, and Innoventions ARE on the chopping block if WDI get their way and decide to level that section of tomorrowland and build new attractions.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by OfficeDepot14 View Post
    My friends told me that Baxter made a statement that the track in several places is in terrible condition, when I say terrible meaning its about ready to colapse, he also stated that they would have to redesign and modify the track to get it up to code to Cal-OSHA safety standards. In the end they'd spend thousands of dollars just fixing the track itself and reinstalling the attraction mechanics, and another thousands of dollars designing and building the attraction vehicles and I honestly dont see Disney spending that amount of money for a attraction that is outdated. As much as people want it to come back, its not going to come back and I think those tracks will come down withn the next five years. Im actually glad Baxter made it very clear about the issue at hand, I guess the "bring back the peoplemover" threads will finally dispose of
    I'm shocked no one mentioned this statement.
    I am 99.9999% sure that if they were about to collapse, they would shut down most if not all of TL and then rip them out *a la Space Mt several yrs ago*. Disney would never (not in this era of leadership) allow them to stand there if they were "about to collapse"!!!

Just the thought of the lawsuits and such massive neg press would be costly and could un-do all the poz spin the resort has made for itself in the past 5 yrs. 10x that if they knowingly allowed them to fall on guests!

If I thought this was true, even just a tiny bit true, I myself wouldn't go into TL. (and lemme tell ya, I will be *in* TL in a few weeks!)

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post
    I'm shocked no one mentioned this statement.
    I am 99.9999% sure that if they were about to collapse, they would shut down most if not all of TL and then rip them out *a la Space Mt several yrs ago*. Disney would never (not in this era of leadership) allow them to stand there if they were "about to collapse"!!!

Just the thought of the lawsuits and such massive neg press would be costly and could un-do all the poz spin the resort has made for itself in the past 5 yrs. 10x that if they knowingly allowed them to fall on guests!

If I thought this was true, even just a tiny bit true, I myself wouldn't go into TL. (and lemme tell ya, I will be *in* TL in a few weeks!)
    I'd be scared especially in California where the ground could start shaking any minute.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on if something is new, I reject it immediately because its frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast