Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Parking Lot > DCA

Re: Donald sunburst on Screamin' shield!

Quote Originally Posted by APJ1127 View Post
    It would be great but Mickey can stand alone or all 5 need to be up.
    If Donald gets up there, I'll wonder why not add Goofy and the others?
    Also this.

as a big fan of Donald Duck. I dont like the idea of putting Donald Ducks face on CS just to do it. theirs really no good reason to do it it would not help the ride tell a story and would not improve the the theme or look of the ride. To me it would be a step back to DCA 1.0

• Minion

>>If Donald gets up there, I'll wonder why not add Goofy and the others?<<

Because, for several decades, Donald was a far bigger star than Mickey -- and in terms of character, competed for attention with him on the Mickey Mouse Club, Disneyland, etc. -- not so for any of the others. This would carry on that tradition of Donald being the reluctant #2 star.

>>...it would not help the ride tell a story and would not improve the the theme or look of the ride.<<

Well, the same can be said of the ferris wheel, but Mickey's face really did help it look better.

Donald would just look cool - - the current shield looks cheap and plain.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I mean....they could do a cute little story of how Donald is taking his nephews to the Pier to ride there first big roller coaster...make make the Q inside and have TV tell the story and show some old cartoons too

Maybe even have it where the paparazzi see Donald and they jump on the ride trying to get away from them...thus explaining why you get your picture

Just seems more fun then...it's just a coaster...that's the story and theme

• Minion

Great idea, Jarrod -- theme the whole coaster to Donald and the duck family! I picture Donald queasy and not liking the coaster one bit while his nephews are in their glory -- and causing mischief.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    >>If Donald gets up there, I'll wonder why not add Goofy and the others?<<

Because, for several decades, Donald was a far bigger star than Mickey -- and in terms of character, competed for attention with him on the Mickey Mouse Club, Disneyland, etc. -- not so for any of the others. This would carry on that tradition of Donald being the reluctant #2 star.

>>...it would not help the ride tell a story and would not improve the the theme or look of the ride.<<

Well, the same can be said of the ferris wheel, but Mickey's face really did help it look better.

Donald would just look cool - - the current shield looks cheap and plain.
    Not to be the Devil's advocate here, but the average guest probably has no idea that for some time Donald was larger than Mickey. I assume they would all start to wonder where Goofy and Minnie and Pluto are as well.

And in terms of Mickey's face adding to Mickey's Fun Wheel - although it's essentially the same ride, the re-theme has it all tied and it makes sense as to why his face is there.

• Minion

>>...but the average guest probably has no idea that for some time Donald was larger than Mickey.<<

Exactly.

With the classic cartoons, comics and tv shows hidden away from broad public exposure in recent years, we are losing their individual personalities and histories completely -- not a good trend. And Donald's superstar power has been squandered. Time to rectify.

BTW -- Goofy has a ride now, by your logic where is Donald's ride?

>>And in terms of Mickey's face adding to Mickey's Fun Wheel - although it's essentially the same ride, the re-theme has it all tied and it makes sense as to why his face is there.<<

Only because Mickey's face looks good and people respond positively to it. It offers comfort and nostalgia. Other than that... why?

Same exact thing would go for Donald's face on the coaster.

Also -- Donald being a duck in a sailor suit makes a lot of sense as a seaside amusement mascot.

Even if it were to be Minnie, Goofy, Pluto or anyone else who has/had a sunburst (Chip an' Dale, Humphrey, Figaro, Jiminy, anyone?), it would be better than the ugly painted hole that's there now. But seriously, Donald makes the most sense by far.
    Last edited by merlinjones; 08-07-2012 at 07:36 AM.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Not to be the Devil's advocate here, but the average guest probably has no idea that for some time Donald was larger than Mickey. I assume they would all start to wonder where Goofy and Minnie and Pluto are as well.

And in terms of Mickey's face adding to Mickey's Fun Wheel - although it's essentially the same ride, the re-theme has it all tied and it makes sense as to why his face is there.
    Give Minnie the Carousel, and Goofy has Sky School and his own show on the Pier

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    BTW -- Goofy has a ride now, by your logic where is Donald's ride?
    Does everything need a tie in? This is has been a topic of debate on MiceChat for a while now. Mulholland Madness was re-themed to fit the look, and feel of Paradise Pier and possibly help it's capacity with the Goofy's Sky School makeover. It's lipstick on a pig. The exact same ride, with a different coat of paint and some different cutout characters.

California Screamin' does not have capacity issues, nor does it need a new theme. It's a fun rollercoaster that fits the vibe they are going for with the Pier. Slapping Donald's face on it wouldn't make sense if there wasn't some sort of story tie-in, and if anything we need less of that.

Only because Mickey's face looks good and people respond positively to it. It offers comfort and nostalgia. Other than that... why?

Same exact thing would go for Donald's face on the coaster.
    Going back to what I just said, The Sun Wheel, like Mulholland Madness had the "lipstick on a pig" treatment as well. I'm not saying that your idea is not a good one, I just don't think that it is necessary to put Donald's face there just to do it.

It all started with a duck.
    With kind regards,
    The Tony

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Does everything need a tie in? This is has been a topic of debate on MiceChat for a while now. Mulholland Madness was re-themed to fit the look, and feel of Paradise Pier and possibly help it's capacity with the Goofy's Sky School makeover. It's lipstick on a pig. The exact same ride, with a different coat of paint and some different cutout characters.

California Screamin' does not have capacity issues, nor does it need a new theme. It's a fun rollercoaster that fits the vibe they are going for with the Pier. Slapping Donald's face on it wouldn't make sense if there wasn't some sort of story tie-in, and if anything we need less of that.

Going back to what I just said, The Sun Wheel, like Mulholland Madness had the "lipstick on a pig" treatment as well. I'm not saying that your idea is not a good one, I just don't think that it is necessary to put Donald's face there just to do it.
    Well depending on HOW this overlay is done it could change the ride in many good ways

Including
    1)New Music
    2)A redesigned Q, maybe a few interactive and entertainment additions too, to keep guests busy (also make it inside inside of how it is now)
    3) Add more themeing to the ride, and new effects like new lighting in the tubes, add some new props on the top of the Toy story building (just always distracts me that you can see the air condisnors and lights and not even try to hide them)
    Along with just give the ride a small story, while I understand it is just a coast but if done right, could get a fun little story just based on people favorite duck

All I see is things that could improve the ride, since as of now it's not like people are loving fans of.....just a coaster as the theme and story for the ride

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Well depending on HOW this overlay is done it could change the ride in many good ways

Including
    1)New Music
    2)A redesigned Q, maybe a few interactive and entertainment additions too, to keep guests busy (also make it inside inside of how it is now)
    3) Add more themeing to the ride, and new effects like new lighting in the tubes, add some new props on the top of the Toy story building (just always distracts me that you can see the air condisnors and lights and not even try to hide them)
    Along with just give the ride a small story, while I understand it is just a coast but if done right, could get a fun little story just based on people favorite duck

All I see is things that could improve the ride, since as of now it's not like people are loving fans of.....just a coaster as the theme and story for the ride
    But here is the bottomline - does it need any of that? It doesn't. Thematically speaking it fits just fine. It's not claiming to have a story. People love it for what it is: a solid rollercoaster which some would even argue is better than others around.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^Needs it No... but would it enhance the ride yes

Like adding animals to Grizzly, yeah it does not need it but I think addind to the ride would make the ride better.

I think the ride needs a more "classic" sound for the soundtrack of the ride...I think they need to do some "added" theme to the ride above the Toy Story and even some new little things added the handrails of the coaster would add more charm to the ride

Lastly the Q, needs to be redone and making it a Donald ride would allow them to let you watch old cartoons in line and more fun interactive elements to the Q

For me the Biggest things most DCA rides still lack is a great Q, even Mermaids is pretty boring. Disney parks many times have some of the Q's I have ever seen but...when the new Lex Luther ride has a better Q then a ride at DCA...I feel kinda like Disney can and should always improve ride not just settle for less because it has worked in the past

• Minion

I really like the idea of Donald taking Huey, Dewy, and Louey to ride screamin as a Q element! Could do new video along the Q as well as some interactive elements! Sounds like a good idea without making it all Donald.
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

IMHO, DCA was originally cast without the characters, a different spin from DLP. We see now how that worked. Then they added toons. Bugs land came a long, Toy Story, etc. I think the park should keep a good balance. I like the GRR with the minimal bear mascot. I like Soarin as it is without character influence.
    I feel this case might be overkill...no offense to the Donald-heads out there.
    With kind regards,
    The Tony

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast