Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Donald sunburst on Screamin' shield!

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    This.

In addition, CA Adventure has done a complete scale reversal from having relatively no characters to every new ride suddenly needing a character tie-in. Screamin' is fine how it is and does not need to be tied to a character.
    THIS to your 'this!' Character over-kill!!
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

• -

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Not to be the Devil's advocate here, but the average guest probably has no idea that for some time Donald was larger than Mickey. I assume they would all start to wonder where Goofy and Minnie and Pluto are as well.

And in terms of Mickey's face adding to Mickey's Fun Wheel - although it's essentially the same ride, the re-theme has it all tied and it makes sense as to why his face is there.
    Excellent post!

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    Also -- Donald being a duck in a sailor suit makes a lot of sense as a seaside amusement mascot.
    I really don't see the connection to sailors and an amusement pier.

Maybe if the Pier is supposed to be taking place during Fleet Week and we have a carrier docked in Paradise Bay. Other than that, sailors would normally be seen around naval bases or on ships.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Well depending on HOW this overlay is done it could change the ride in many good ways

Including
    1)New Music
    2)A redesigned Q, maybe a few interactive and entertainment additions too, to keep guests busy (also make it inside inside of how it is now)
    3) Add more themeing to the ride, and new effects like new lighting in the tubes, add some new props on the top of the Toy story building (just always distracts me that you can see the air condisnors and lights and not even try to hide them)
    Along with just give the ride a small story, while I understand it is just a coast but if done right, could get a fun little story just based on people favorite duck

All I see is things that could improve the ride, since as of now it's not like people are loving fans of.....just a coaster as the theme and story for the ride
    And you know that people are not "loving fans" of CS now because....?

CS already has a theme to it. It's made to look like the old wooden coasters that were a staple to the beach/pier amusement parks of the day. But with modern twists (steel track, launch, loop, etc.) that could not be achieved at the time Paradise Pier is themed to. That's the mini story for CS. It's a backdrop. It's scenery. Nothing else. If you add Donald to CS, with Mickey on the Wheel and Goofy on the other coaster, it's very much drawing away from the Pier element of Paradise Pier, dontcha think?

AND it's this chatters favorite attraction at DCA. INCLUDING RSR!

Oh, and Marc Davis himself once said that not every attraction MUST have a story. A theme, sometimes, is more than enough.
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Excellent post!

I really don't see the connection to sailors and an amusement pier.

Maybe if the Pier is supposed to be taking place during Fleet Week and we have a carrier docked in Paradise Bay. Other than that, sailors would normally be seen around naval bases or on ships.
    Actually...

The Pike in Long Beach was closely tied with the Naval Shipyard, which was literally next door. It was the norm and not the exception to see sailors hanging out and having fun in the Pike while their ships were being repaired or retrofitted in the shipyard. As a matter of fact my ex MIL grew up in Huntington Beach in the 1940s and 1950s. She tells the story of how her father would never allow her to go to the Pike to hang out with her friends because of all the sailors running around there who had been at sea for months before.

So yes, there is a connection between sailors and an amusment pier. A very close one to not imagine it otherwise. And in California in top of that.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TodAZ1 View Post
    And you know that people are not "loving fans" of CS now because....?

CS already has a theme to it. It's made to look like the old wooden coasters that were a staple to the beach/pier amusement parks of the day. But with modern twists (steel track, launch, loop, etc.) that could not be achieved at the time Paradise Pier is themed to. That's the mini story for CS. It's a backdrop. It's scenery. Nothing else. If you add Donald to CS, with Mickey on the Wheel and Goofy on the other coaster, it's very much drawing away from the Pier element of Paradise Pier, dontcha think?

AND it's this chatters favorite attraction at DCA. INCLUDING RSR!

Oh, and Marc Davis himself once said that not every attraction MUST have a story. A theme, sometimes, is more than enough.
    Besides the thrill the ride, still looks like a normal coaster....sure we can go with...well Pier used to have them but the ride still looks just like a normal coaster nothing to make it have that Disney Palish like rides like Big Thunder or Everest. While they don't have story's really either but are the ride classic's? Yes, because of how powerful and Disney the theme is

I guess if wanted a normal looking coaster I'd go to Six Flags....at Disneyland and DCA I just wish they could make it feel more then just another coaster

• -

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Actually...

The Pike in Long Beach was closely tied with the Naval Shipyard, which was literally next door. It was the norm and not the exception to see sailors hanging out and having fun in the Pike while their ships were being repaired or retrofitted in the shipyard. As a matter of fact my ex MIL grew up in Huntington Beach in the 1940s and 1950s. She tells the story of how her father would never allow her to go to the Pike to hang out with her friends because of all the sailors running around there who had been at sea for months before.

So yes, there is a connection between sailors and an amusment pier. A very close one to not imagine it otherwise. And in California in top of that.
    Then that would mean that Paradise Pier is supposed to be located along a busy port like Long Beach. As far as I know it is just supposed to be a pier at the beach.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I guess if wanted a normal looking coaster I'd go to Six Flags....at Disneyland and DCA I just wish they could make it feel more then just another coaster
    You don't think the soundtrack (which most rollercoasters don't even have) tying into the ride itself doesn't make it different? California Screamin' may look like a "normal" rollercoaster, but the I've found the experience of the ride is anything but.
    Last edited by explodingboy; 08-07-2012 at 12:04 PM.

• Lighting Design Lover

I don't really see what the point of this would be. Like a few others have said CS is themed well, even if it doesn't have a true story. To me CS is more like the castle walls around Fantasyland or the Cadillac (or whatever they're called now) mountains behind carsland. They all serve as a themed background to the land the make each of those lands/places more realistic than believable. CS just happens to do double duty as a ride and a backdrop (while adding some kinetic energy to the land)! So I don't really see it needing a character overlay because even though it may be "just a rollercoaster" it's already doing its job and it has a proper place in this Disney theme park.

Also, just as a note, the sun is still a part of Paradise Pier's symbol, part of the reason the sun is there is because the title sign of the land is right above it. It would make little sense to put Donald there unless he was the land's mascot.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TTN View Post
    Also, just as a note, the sun is still a part of Paradise Pier's symbol, part of the reason the sun is there is because the title sign of the land is right above it. It would make little sense to put Donald there unless he was the land's mascot.
    Not that he is, but if we were to nominate a "mascot", Oswald might be a good fit. With Mickey alongside, it could potentially be a very harmonious display.

But I still vote no faces on Screamin'.

• Goofy

i like it how it looks on that screamin circle

• -

Quote Originally Posted by TTN View Post
    I don't really see what the point of this would be. Like a few others have said CS is themed well, even if it doesn't have a true story. To me CS is more like the castle walls around Fantasyland or the Cadillac (or whatever they're called now) mountains behind carsland. They all serve as a themed background to the land the make each of those lands/places more realistic than believable. CS just happens to do double duty as a ride and a backdrop (while adding some kinetic energy to the land)! So I don't really see it needing a character overlay because even though it may be "just a rollercoaster" it's already doing its job and it has a proper place in this Disney theme park.
    Very well said. This is very much like people complain that the Matterhorn needs a better queue because all they see are unthemed chains. In the Matterhorn's case, the ride itself is the theme to the queue. You wrap around the mountain.

The same thing with Screamin'. It is part of the overall theme to the land, a seaside pier. Really, Donald would just seem forced.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    Not that he is, but if we were to nominate a "mascot", Oswald might be a good fit. With Mickey alongside, it could potentially be a very harmonious display.
    No more Oswald, please.

• TJ

If California Screamin's soundtrack changes I will actually be upset with a long of other people, it's upbeat and adds a lot to the ride as it fits with the turns drops and everything. People are way too picky and critical of everything, sure the ride needs a new queue and new trains, but adding a face and characters and everything is just way too much.

• Nic

The mock-up looks tacky. Mickey only worked there because it was subtle.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    The mock-up looks tacky. Mickey only worked there because it was subtle.
    Mickey's face isn't really subtle, the whole ride was re-themed to fit the 1920's (hence the pie-eyed Mickey) feel of the pier and also to add a character tie-in. Not to mention the getting rid of that terrible Sun face. Having Donald's face so close to Mickey's would clash and add confusion to CS.

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Mickey's face isn't really subtle, the whole ride was re-themed to fit the 1920's (hence the pie-eyed Mickey) feel of the pier and also to add a character tie-in. Not to mention the getting rid of that terrible Sun face. Having Donald's face so close to Mickey's would clash and add confusion to CS.
    I'm talking about when Mickey's face was on Screamin'.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast