Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Parades... and the people that don't respect reserved areas.

When I was at the Park last week I had the opportunity to observe both the Disneyland Christmas parade and the 50th Anniversary parade from the reserved seating area in front of "It's A Small World".
    Our favorite castmember, "Maynard" was doing crowd control in the area and he had his hands full with people who would ignore the "reserved" area (when he was taking pictures for other guests) and plop themselves and their kids down in the reserved area. Some refused to move, saying that their spouse had tickets on the other side of the street, the tickets will be here in a minute, yada, yada, yada. Some folks even lowered their kids into the reserved area after moving into the unreserved area. I was amazed by the behavior of some of these guests.
    Should Disney offer reserved seating? Is it unreasonable to expect others to respect a reserved seating area?

Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Re: Parades... and the people that don't respect reserved areas.

People are just plain rude and they leave their brains at the door.

It's like they walk up 10 minutes before the parade and are like, "Gee... the entire street is just filled to the brim with people, but this ONE spot is completely empty...!" and then the next thing that they think is, "Everyone is an idiot! Didn't they see this spot! They must be blind to it! SCORE WE LUCKED OUT!".

Never once does it occur to them that it's empty for a reason. 8:P

This is also one of the reasons why it just baffles me that they don't use ropes with reserved only signs anymore. When I did EP Guest Control at DCA we first started to rope off reserved areas (and it was great) with signs and then slowly it went to tape on the ground... made our jobs a lot harder because most folks aren't looking downwards when they walk.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

• Island Paradise

People bug.

Quote Originally Posted by evil mommie
    People bug.
    ??
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Island Paradise

As in people only care about themselves. Can't people respect that others have purchased special tickets? People that are only out for themselves and how to bend the rules, bug.

Besides the reserved area, what gets me are the idiots who see the wheelchair area and stand right in front of it. Yes, moron, it's SOOOO easy for all the people in chairs to stand up and look over your shoulder. Some get angry and defensive when asked to move, and seem completely oblivious to the fact that they're blocking the view of those in chairs, who might actually want to see the parade as well.

But it's not just the guests. Last time we went, my husband transferred to the concrete bench in the back corner of the wheelchair section on Small World Way, and I sat next to him with the chair in front of us and watched the nighttime Xmas parade. When the fireworks were about to start a while later, everyone crowded around iasw, and I went over as well, leaving him alone but with a good angle to view the projections on the facade. When I came back, he was fuming. Two CMs had stopped right in front of him to have a conversation, stayed there yakking throughout the fireworks, then went back to work. No amount of yelling at them to please move a bit to the side got their attention. Grrr.

So there seems to be a general problem with idiots in that area.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Are there ropes, signs, or cones setting off the area, or does poor Maynard need to tell all of these people to keep moving after they plop themselves down? The area in front of the Train Station on Main Street is marked off...right?

And on a related note, has anyone noticed the roped off area just BEHIND the reserved seating for the Remember Fireworks in front of the Plaza Pavillion? If you are unable to get a seat in front of the castle, this area provides a GREAT view of the castle, fireworks and Tinkerbell, but you lose part of the Matterhorn. The thing is...it's roped off...all day...with no particular reason. So....we always jump the rope, and cast members never say anything. So it SEEMS like it's ok. Hmmmm....

And speaking of unobservant guests, you should have SEEN the number of people who walk up to the Plaza Pavillion with the doors closed and curtains drawn and lights off...they yank on the doors, peer through the dark window and see how it is now used for pin trading storage, and say "Gee....I guess it's closed!"

HELLO!

• Haunted Mansion Holiday

This happened a while back on the same tour

Right after we sat down these ladies behind us started complaining how "Why we were so special" and stuff like that. So one of the ladies sat down in the seat but the guide didnt see it but when he saw her he was like "Were you on the tour?" She was like "Yes" and the tour guide asked "Can i see your tag (the mickey w/ the Xmas tree)?" she was like "I threw it away" so he told her to leave. So they started glaring at us the entire time

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

People as a rule have trouble admitting their are wrong or did something wrong. As a result it causes them to go into a defensive mode, so while the answers they give are obvious idiot responses, in their minds at the time it sounds right and therefore they are right....to them. When this happens I usually say nothing and wait because sometimes I get lucky and the intelligence file in their brain after getting the dust blown off of it kicks in and they realize and then shut up.

It's those people who can't walk and chew gum at the same time or drive and talk on their cell phones..

• Minion

I think the problem is that Disney doesn't really "enforce" any of its policies. They are extremely lax about everything in order to keep everyone happy. Occasionally, they might call security, but in general, I see people breaking the rules all the time and nothing happens.

People are going to be stupid regardless, but when their are rules that are being broken, you're essentially encouraging them.

• Banned User

I have no problem with people lining up early and sitting on curbs with their kids to see the parades. What bothers me is the people with kids in strollers and they sit in the front row and don't fold the stroller down. But then again, I have a huge hate for strollers as is..

• Banned User

This doesn't have to do with reserved seating or the prades, but: When I was at the park a while ago, I decided to stake out a spot for the fireworks for my group who had never seen the show. So I decided to camp out in front of the castle at 6:00. Well, come around 7:00 these rude people who were sitting on the benches decided to push them out into the middle of that walkway right in front of everyone. I kindly told them that they could put the benches up against the railing, that the show would still be visible. NO! I supposedly had no idea what I was talking about(someone who has seen the show 7+ times) and they yelled back to me that they would make everyone stand up. A CM eventually came around and told them to move it back, and the elderly lady with them was being a complete and said no. The poor CM gave up and walked away. After another hour of them being rude and extremely dominating over their spot, the show was about to begin. Soon enough the show began and a young kid that was with them(maybe 16) stood up in front of their stroller and stood through the entire show. A family that was sitting right behind him could not see and everyone started yelling at him to sit down, including me, but no he didn't sit down and ended making the little girl in the family who couldn't see cry. Since the people with me couldn't see a thing, I told them to sit on the railing where they could see the castle and everything going on while I had to duck down in the planter. Of course I was willing to move so they could see because I wanted them to get the entire effect of Remember but I thought those were so rude, it was unbelievable.

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

I've still had trouble understanding the whole "Stand-up or Sit-down" aspect of the fireworks. Sure, I can see advantages to both, but as far as I'm concerned, unless a certain area is designated as standing or sitting only, it should be left up to what people feel like doing. I don't care how many are sitting, mob rule shouldn't rule even in Disneyland, and unless a CM told me I had to sit, I'd probably stand because I could. Naturally, I'd probably be a lot more cooperating, but I can't say someone is OVERLY rude just on the basis that they choose to stand because they can (even though the people you describe are worse than that). If you stake out a spot, I don't care if you stake it out sitting or standing, and if you get the front spot, go ahead and sit if allowed, but expecting everyone to sit during a fireworks show would be like expecting everyone to sit down at the parade route.

unless a CM told me I had to sit, I'd probably stand because I could

But why stand if it's not going to improve your view and it will impede someone elses view? It's not a rock concert where you might want to stand up and groove to the music, it's a fireworks show. To stand up in front of somebody when it isn't going to improve your view is rude.
    Most people are tired already from walking around the Park all day. Being able to sit down to watch the fireworks is an opportunity to be entertained and take a load off at the same time.

As an aside, one good thing about getting older (I'm 45) is having perspective.
    I've already been young (when I had tons of energy and standing didn't bother me).
    I've been a parent already (where I discovered what it meant to be exhausted from taking my children to Disneyland when they were 2 and 4 years old).
    I've been older(where I am now carrying an extra 30 pounds when I visit the Park... it gets tiring)
    I understand not wanting to sit during the fireworks, but out of courtesy to others maybe you could try to see it thru their eyes.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• no flash photography...

this happened at sea worls as well. the reserved sections are clearly marked and they do check your name off a list when you show up, but people would just sit in it anyway and get all upset when asked to move. However, sea world let people sit in it after the show started...which for the most part was ok, but when the huge family sat in front of us then put their kids on the back of the seats do they could stand on them blocking our views ..well, then I got irratated...LOL...but when asked they did lower their kids. It was still difficult to see around their huge hats though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast