Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Capt without a ship...

Re: Unexpected Wildlife of Disneyland

From what I've hear, the fish and crayfish tend to be brought in on the feet of the water birds (eggs get stuck on their feet) and they get deposited into the water ways.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    They are definitely feral cats. Any cat born in the wild is considered feral. Not to be confused with a stray, which obviously is an abandoned cat. They may have designated feeding stations, and get taken care of by Disney's staff when needed but by no means are they domesticated.
    Feral cats are wild, living and surviving in the wild, not supported by humans.

There are feeding stations for the cats at DLR. If you don't know of them, you just need to learn more about the parks.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Feral cats are wild, living and surviving in the wild, not supported by humans.

There are feeding stations for the cats at DLR. If you don't know of them, you just need to learn more about the parks.
    I absolutely know about the feeding stations. I know for a fact there is one over at the old Skyway station in Fantasyland. All I am saying is for the most part they are left alone. I am sure there are times where a cat gets sick or something and they get the care they obviously wouldn't get in the wild. Overall though, they don't appear super approachable, and I would hardly call them domesticated. I guess they would fall somewhere in between domesticated cat and a feral cat.

Back before the big construction, I made friends with a friendly feral cat at DCA:

Friendly Feral DCA Cat | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I can't link to all the pictures, but if you use the search words "friendly feral DCA cat" and "gryffud" as the author, you should see a few cute pics.

• Dont make me unfriend you

Rats. big ugly rats.

I have never seen them as a guest. However, when I worked the night shift as a CM a saw a few rats in different places.

I have heard stories of big rats on TS Island that the night crew saw. But have never seen any myself.

The rats I saw looked big enough to give a cat a pretty good fight. It was creepy.

You see a lot of mice after the park closes. They wait until the coast is clear and come scampering out to look for any popcorn or other food that was dropped. (Not that there is much with Disney's excellent Custodial Staff!)

I used to love to point to a duck or swan in the castle moat and casually say to the person I'm with in a voice loud enough for other people around to hear "Wow, look at the detail on that duck! It looks so real! They do amazing things here at Disneyland!" I've fooled a few kids and even made a few adults pause and take a second closer look!

I have seen possums running around the Indiana Jones and Jungle Cruise area at night. I was waiting in line for Indian Jones one night and was going to pop my head out of bushes when the Jungle Cruise boat was coming by and as I was waitng a possum ran right under me and scared ME instead. LOL

While in WDW Magic Kingdom last November we were on the boardwalk around the Rivers of America across from Country Bears and saw a small crocodile right by the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Tadaboombada View Post
    I have seen possums running around the Indiana Jones and Jungle Cruise area at night. I was waiting in line for Indian Jones one night and was going to pop my head out of bushes when the Jungle Cruise boat was coming by and as I was waitng a possum ran right under me and scared ME instead. LOL
    Ya, I can tell you right now these are currently the animals living there: opossums, raccoons, rats, mice, feral cats, birds of all kinds, Red-Eared Slider turtles, Koi fish, Carp, mosquito fish, Craw fish, Shrimp, and giant cockroaches. I personally have researched it and have seen all these for myself over the years. When I asked horticulture how they got there they informed me that its the ducks! The ducks go to parks and game reserves around SoCal and they walk through the eggs of these different animals like turtles and fish and when they land in the water in the park, the eggs release and hatch and from there the population grows naturally. Don't be mistaken, ALL green water ways in the park are NOT treated. They are actually collection of gutter water from when it rains in the parks, because back in '55 the cheapest way for the park to incorporate operative gutters without spending hundreds to build a sewer to the Santa Ana River, was to have the sewer drains lead to the main outdoor waterways of the park. AND all Green water ways are connected via underground wide pipes or visible channel connection like the moat in from of the castle connects to the frontier/adventureland moat which also connects with the Jungle Cruise under the Tiki Room and connects to the Rivers of America via a massive underground channel that runs between Riverbelle Terrace and Pirates of the Caribbean, connecting to Big Thunder Pond via underwater channel to Storybookland and Fantasyland Pond, back to The castle via underground channel. Cool huh? That's how the fish and turtles spread across Disneyland! -By the way, I forgot to add, they were all connected to keep the water from becoming stagnant like an unfiltered swimming pool and more like a massive system of lakes.

• Semi Back

every time we go to hungry bear we see one or two ferral cats i think they like the hungry bear seating area because it isnt ussually too crowded

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Hey... animals like to visit Disneyland too!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Big Thunder

Disney should set up a meet and greet for the feral cats. Those kitties should be caressed.

• blah blah

My Daughter and I have a great reverence for the cats around the storybook canal ride. As they would walk throught the small vignettes we would joke about them being giant monster cats rampaging through the villages.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ayalexander View Post
    Ya, I can tell you right now these are currently the animals living there: opossums, raccoons, rats, mice, feral cats, birds of all kinds, Red-Eared Slider turtles, Koi fish, Carp, mosquito fish, Craw fish, Shrimp, and giant cockroaches. I personally have researched it and have seen all these for myself over the years. When I asked horticulture how they got there they informed me that its the ducks! The ducks go to parks and game reserves around SoCal and they walk through the eggs of these different animals like turtles and fish and when they land in the water in the park, the eggs release and hatch and from there the population grows naturally. Don't be mistaken, ALL green water ways in the park are NOT treated. They are actually collection of gutter water from when it rains in the parks, because back in '55 the cheapest way for the park to incorporate operative gutters without spending hundreds to build a sewer to the Santa Ana River, was to have the sewer drains lead to the main outdoor waterways of the park. AND all Green water ways are connected via underground wide pipes or visible channel connection like the moat in from of the castle connects to the frontier/adventureland moat which also connects with the Jungle Cruise under the Tiki Room and connects to the Rivers of America via a massive underground channel that runs between Riverbelle Terrace and Pirates of the Caribbean, connecting to Big Thunder Pond via underwater channel to Storybookland and Fantasyland Pond, back to The castle via underground channel. Cool huh? That's how the fish and turtles spread across Disneyland! -By the way, I forgot to add, they were all connected to keep the water from becoming stagnant like an unfiltered swimming pool and more like a massive system of lakes.
    They are also there for mosquito control.
    Crazy Works For Me!

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    True. The cats have several feeding stations throughout as well. There is one at the old Skyway entrance, which is where I have seen them the most.

Disney practices catch and release with the feral cats, whereby they are spayed and neutered, checked for disease and given their shots. The food is just enough for them to get their vitamins and meds to keep them healthy, but they need to catch rodents to survive. Cast members are advised to leave them alone and not try to interact with them or give them any food. I'm told by friends who are active in catch and release with ferals that this is accepted practice.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast