Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Big Thunder Mountain Set to Close Down for a Lengthy Referbishment

Wasn't Big Thunder down for like a 6 month rehab in the spring of 2011? The ride has never been, in my opinion, in that bad of shape. And as a big guy, I never found the loading/unloading area to be much of an issue.

I guess it's just sour grapes since the ride will be closed when I'm there in October. And with Matterhorn's new sleds, looks like 2 of my favorites are off the table this trip for me.

It does seem odd, to me at least, that Big Thunder has had so much rehab time in the last few years and a ride that really needs it like Indy just keeps going.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Roythe13th View Post
    Wasn't Big Thunder down for like a 6 month rehab in the spring of 2011? The ride has never been, in my opinion, in that bad of shape. And as a big guy, I never found the loading/unloading area to be much of an issue.

I guess it's just sour grapes since the ride will be closed when I'm there in October. And with Matterhorn's new sleds, looks like 2 of my favorites are off the table this trip for me.

It does seem odd, to me at least, that Big Thunder has had so much rehab time in the last few years and a ride that really needs it like Indy just keeps going.
    No that was Splash Mountain

• Minion

IIRC, Tony Baxter hinted that he was set to work on a major project before retiring. Is this what he was talking about?

During my last 2 visits to DLR, I noticed this ride going down a lot. A LOT. This is probably for the best, but I will miss it.

• I'm a fiddle player......

Quote Originally Posted by Right Ear View Post
    the load/unload area will be widened for 21st century riders
    I think the unload area needs widened for guests with disabilities, so people can get off the ride easier and they can get on easier

Looks like the fat guess will no longer have to suck in their stomachs to get through. Too mean?

Edit: I didnt realize i would offend anyone, i am sorry.
    Last edited by RaddaRadda; 08-09-2012 at 05:08 PM.

• Disneyman

Yeah, well, Al Lutz previously said it was supposed to go down in August, and I was bummed because my trip was in September. Now it looks like I may get to ride it after all. So you never know.
    "It's fun to do the impossible." ~Walt Disney

• -

Quote Originally Posted by napamaninsocal View Post
    I think the unload area needs widened for guests with disabilities, so people can get off the ride easier and they can get on easier
    This is most likely what is happening. I wouldn't be surprised if they made the lines more accessible for wheel chairs so that there is no need to enter through the exit.

I will also say that I am very disappointed by the negative comments toward overweight riders by some of the posters in this thread. Obesity is a real problem in this country at present. At least Disney is trying to combat it by offering healthier food/snack options and is also trying to accomodate riders as well.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    No that was Splash Mountain
    I realize Splash Mountain was down in the spring 2011. I believe it reopened Memorial Day weekend that spring. I was at Disneyland the weekend Star Tours 2 and Little Mermaid opened and off and on the week after and I remember Big Thunder being down that entire stay. I think it opened back up on June 10th (which was my birthday and the day I flew home). It may not have been 6 months but I remember it was a scheduled closure.

• Minion

I realize Splash Mountain was down in the spring 2011. I believe it reopened Memorial Day weekend that spring. I was at Disneyland the weekend Star Tours 2 and Little Mermaid opened and off and on the week after and I remember Big Thunder being down that entire stay. I think it opened back up on June 10th (which was my birthday and the day I flew home). It may not have been 6 months but I remember it was a scheduled closure.
    I do seem to vaguely recall it going down for a small amount of time. There were some that were disappointed some of the effects weren't fixed during the closure.

• Blew By You

Well, maybe they will be finished before the deadline, come under budget and everyone will be happy with the results. No problem to wait. And it will be completed before the 60th Anniversary!!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Reeder View Post
    Yeah, well, Al Lutz previously said it was supposed to go down in August, and I was bummed because my trip was in September. Now it looks like I may get to ride it after all. So you never know.
    We've been debating whether to go in the beginning of October or later in the month. It will be a no brainer if BTMRR doesn't go down until mid-October or so. I would love to ride it several more times.

• Closed Account

NO WAY am I or should ANYONE accpept NextGen in a Disneyland park ESPECIALLY Tony's first E-Ticket! Next Gen is the biggest artistic travesty to ever be foisted upon a Disney park audience. There is already the entire town of Rainbow Ridge and the queue goes up RIGHT NEXT to the splash down finale! How much MORE interactives can you get than THAT?? NO WAY are we going to allow Florida's tech trashy decisions disgrace this classic. Tony better fight like hell on this. NextGen will eat up at LEAST a third of the budget. I cannot believe they are even going to try this w/ an AP Majority crowd.

What is NextGen?

• Closed Account

video games, touch screens, and loud banging noises and games.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast