Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

• some assembly required

Re: Big Thunder Mountain Set to Close Down for a Lengthy Referbishment

hmmmmm. I wish we had the exact date. But I am guessing that it will be announced soon b/c the 6 week mark is rapidly approaching.

BTW (RUMOR): a little bird told me that the new trains will have head rests a la Expedition Everest and Grizzly Mountain (in HK). I am hoping this is untrue as I don't want it to obstruct my view, even if it would only be a bit.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^no reason to at all.....lets hope it's not true this is a different type of coaster and does not need head rests

• ooooooOO!

EE style head rests on the wildest ride in the wilderness!? That's Preposterous! How would it still look like a mine train?

• We Go On.

BTW (RUMOR): a little bird told me that the new trains will have head rests a la Expedition Everest and Grizzly Mountain (in HK). I am hoping this is untrue as I don't want it to obstruct my view, even if it would only be a bit.
    Funny thing is, now that you bring it up, I remember hearing rumors about new trains for BTMRR a long while back. Maybe it was all in anticipation of this refurb.

It wouldn't surprise me. That seating arrangement seems to be more in step to what Disney holds standard these days. Personally, I love the Everest seating arrangement. Sitting more upright and fastened more tightly in, I tend to enjoy the drops and banked turns a lot more, instead of flopping awkwardly from side to side and bracing myself against the sides of the car in BTMRR. I know some will argue that it gives the ride character, and that is true. Just my personal preference.

That said, I don't think headrests will ever be necessary on BTMRR. Not with our track layout. It's quite a bit slower than Everest and it certainly doesn't accelerate as quickly.

• some assembly required

I do not think it is all about the fwd/bkwd launches when it comes to headrests. I think they wanted to add headrests for the safety during e-stops, lag catches on a lift hill (forgive me, but I cannot remember which lift this happens on), and things of this nature.
    I assumed it was all about lawyers.

As for the question of theming, it looks just fine on Grizzly Mt, so theming isn't a problem there, unless one thinks that theming looks bad.
    ~Jay

(Disneyland, circa 1957)

hopefully it will get repainted completely and next gen stuff along the standby line. Some effects can be updated like the earthquake sequence could use a little work, still I don't think a new track is really necessary.

I would be happy with cars with a restraint of some sort that allows all passengers to have a lap belt or bar against them. I am very skinny if I ride with anyone who had a belly or is a bit larger, I don't have any lap bar at all and could easily stand up and get out of the car if I really wanted to. I hate the feeling of no real restraint, makes for a nervous ride, even though I know I am still safe.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelWalrus View Post
    What comes to mind for me would be something like Potato Head from TSMM. It's new tech and interactive, but doesn't make the queue feel overly modern. Im not saying Disney is going to put a talking cowboy animatronic in line, but maybe they'll do something on par with Potato Head as far as overall vision goes.
    Hopefully they won't try to do a character tie-in and have an out-of-theme cartoon sherriff talking to people as they wait in line.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Hopefully they won't try to do a character tie-in and have an out-of-theme cartoon sherriff talking to people as they wait in line.
    That just put a terrible image in my mind. lol. A completely random nonmovie lifelike cowboy would be appreciated though

• some assembly required

Any thoughts as to the Loneranger tie-ins? I haven't heard anything, but I am sad to say that it would not surprize me at all if that happened. I can see it now...

*le sigh*
    ~Jay

(Disneyland, circa 1957)

• I'm a Lutheran

I'm so excited about this! This is the first step in the right direction for Frontierland. Big Thunder is one of my favorites so hopefully Tony and the crew will do justice and make it even better than it is now. Maybe some Nature's Wonderland tributes thrown into the mix?
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

I wouldn't mind new trains that head more of a "seat" than a bench that we have now. I love BTM, I don't really like slippin and slidin around. Though I hope they keep the locomotives in the front if they do replace the trains. Even though it's Big Grizzly Mine "Cars" it kind of looks weird without the locomotive. Did they replace the trains when they re-tracked Space Mountain in 2003?

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post
    Any thoughts as to the Loneranger tie-ins? I haven't heard anything, but I am sad to say that it would not surprize me at all if that happened. I can see it now...

*le sigh*
    Maybe but I doubt it....they'll most likely do a show in the Ranch area like what they did with Pirates 4....

And maybe when the movie comes out add...a small prop from the set but nothing to ruin the ride

Expedition Everest trains used on Big Thunder would be a change that I could get behind. Those are one of the most comfortable roller coaster trains ever! Plus the individual lap bar, wider individual seats and more leg room would seem to be a big plus all around no matter what size you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarar44 View Post
    Did they replace the trains when they re-tracked Space Mountain in 2003?
    I think they did.
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast