Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Re: Big Thunder Mountain Set to Close Down for a Lengthy Referbishment

Quote Originally Posted by second blue teacup View Post
    Let's see... a show, an arcade, a petting zoo, and two transports.

Nope, no other attractions, to be honest.
    No. A riverboat, a sailing ship, rafts to an island (which is itself considered an attraction), a shooting gallery and yes... a petting zoo.

---------- Post added 08-08-2012 at 10:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Tom Saywer's Island, Canoes, Mark Twain, and Columbia. 4 other attractions beside Thunder Mountain.
    The canoes are technically located within Critter Country.

• Disneyland Original '55

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    The rafts to Tom Sawyer's Island are always packed to capacity. I can't speak for the canoes as I've never wanted to paddle my way around Disneyland. Anyway, the question was brought up about the number of attractions, not the quality.
    I'm sorry I thought we were discussing the attractions that would draw people to the Frontierland area with Big Thunder closed. On that terms I stand with my thought that Tom Sawyer and the Canoes aren't drawing crowds to Frontierland but are in fact doing the oposite. Yes they are attractions in Frontierland being on the Rivers of America, but they will not helping bring the crowds to Frontierland.
    Enter into new Frontiers of Fantasy....... Today.......... Tomorrow.................Forever.........

• Disneyman

Quote Originally Posted by Coolwowzer View Post
    I'm sorry I thought we were discussing the attractions that would draw people to the Frontierland area with Big Thunder closed. On that terms I stand with my thought that Tom Sawyer and the Canoes aren't drawing crowds to Frontierland but are in fact doing the oposite.
    You honestly believe that Tom Sawyer and the Canoes are repulsing people from the land?

"Mommy, I want to go to Frontierland."

"Son, that's where the dreaded Tom Sawyer Island and Canoes reside."

"What?!!!! Noooooo! I take it back, I take it back!!"
    "It's fun to do the impossible." ~Walt Disney

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Reeder View Post
    You honestly believe that Tom Sawyer and the Canoes are repulsing people from the land?

"Mommy, I want to go to Frontierland."

"Son, that's where the dreaded Tom Sawyer Island and Canoes reside."

"What?!!!! Noooooo! I take it back, I take it back!!"
    One wonders why anyone goes to Disneyland at all...

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Timicus View Post
    Out of curiosity, when did NextGen start meaning interactive queues?
    This. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyhound View Post
    Actually, the "Goat Trick" is to keep your eyes on the goat as the train rounds a sharp corner...
    That is essentially what he said. Technically the drop is the sharp corner, so as long as you look at the goat the whole time you're all set.

• Insert Hilarious Title

Quote Originally Posted by Reeder View Post
    Not sure if you are being sarcastic or did not understand Coolwowzer's point.

The entrance to the rafts to Tom Sawyer Island and Davy Crockett Canoes are reached and boarded through New Orleans Square or Critter Country. In fact, one can take the Train from Main Street, disembark at the New Orleans Station, ride the Canoes, board the Train, returning to Main Street without once having set foot in Frontierland proper.

I believe the point was that if people are using the two sources of approach the Rafts/Canoes (New Orleans Square/Adventure) instead of passing through the Fort gate or the backpath from Fantasyland, they are being drawn away from main area of Frontierland.
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

• Disneyland Original '55

The entrance to the rafts to Tom Sawyer Island and Davy Crockett Canoes are reached and boarded through New Orleans Square or Critter Country. In fact, one can take the Train from Main Street, disembark at the New Orleans Station, ride the Canoes, board the Train, returning to Main Street without once having set foot in Frontierland proper.

I believe the point was that if people are using the two sources of approach the Rafts/Canoes (New Orleans Square/Adventure) instead of passing through the Fort gate or the backpath from Fantasyland, they are being drawn away from main area of Frontierland.
    Thank you for clarifying for me
    Enter into new Frontiers of Fantasy....... Today.......... Tomorrow.................Forever.........

• Seeker of Fun

If it has to go down..I just hope for a true "plussing". That's all.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Sock Puppet

...but Tom Sawyer Island and the Rivers of America are in themselves a huge chunk of Frontierland. When you ride the canoes or take a raft to the island you are IN Frontierland, so saying that these attractions draw people AWAY from Frontierland is absurd. Additionally the entrance area to Frontierland, which you refer to as the "main area" is fairly small and I don't understand the need to draw large crowds of people into it.

• Insert Hilarious Title

Quote Originally Posted by OliviaVonDrake View Post
    ...but Tom Sawyer Island and the Rivers of America are in themselves a huge chunk of Frontierland. When you ride the canoes or take a raft to the island you are IN Frontierland, so saying that these attractions draw people AWAY from Frontierland is absurd.
    You seem to be responding to not what I said but what you may think I said. I didn't say that Tom Sawyer Island and the Davy Crockett Canoes aren't part of Frontierland. I said the entrances to those attractions are reached by ways other than Frontierland. It is possible for people to visit those attractions without passing through Frontierland proper.

Additionally the entrance area to Frontierland, which you refer to as the "main area" is fairly small and I don't understand the need to draw large crowds of people into it.
    You are confusing what I referred to as the Fort Gate (the entrance that connects to the Hub) and the main area of Frontierland. The main area is the mini-hub by way you get to the Shooting Arcade, shops and restaurants. If you are standing in Frontierland and you can hear the guns from the Shooting Gallery, see the diners at Rancho, hear the clip-clop of shoes/boots on the storefront entrances, and can see the port side of the Mark Twain or Columbia you are in Fronterland's main area.

It is important to draw large crowds to through this area (which it is designed for) for people to experience the majority of what Frontierland has to offer. From a more practical point, the less crowds in this area, the less money spent on food or merchandise means the area is less of a priority to future considerations.

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

• Sock Puppet

You are confusing what I referred to as the Fort Gate (the entrance that connects to the Hub) and the main area of Frontierland. The main area is the mini-hub by way you get to the Shooting Arcade, shops and restaurants. If you are standing in Frontierland and you can hear the guns from the Shooting Gallery, see the diners at Rancho, hear the clip-clop of shoes/boots on the storefront entrances, and can see the port side of the Mark Twain or Columbia you are in Fronterland's main area.

It is important to draw large crowds to through this area (which it is designed for) for people to experience the majority of what Frontierland has to offer. From a more practical point, the less crowds in this area, the less money spent on food or merchandise means the area is less of a priority to future considerations.
    I was not confused. The "main area" you're referring to is relatively small and certainly doesn't make up the majority of Frontierland. It is primarily shops and restaurants, and while I understand that drawing people past these is important from a financial perspective, I don't understand why someone without a vested interest would be so concerned with this.

• Senior Minion

I was not confused. The "main area" you're referring to is relatively small and certainly doesn't make up the majority of Frontierland. It is primarily shops and restaurants, and while I understand that drawing people past these is important from a financial perspective, I don't understand why someone without a vested interest would be so concerned with this.
    Bingo. A lot of long-time Disneyland fans consider the entire area around the Rivers of America to be one continuum of the theme of the settlement of America -- from the entrance of Frontierland to New Orleans Square to what is now called Critter Country -- with Tom Sawyer Island as the centerpiece.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Insert Hilarious Title

Hmmm, ok. I did not say this "main area" (not sure why the quotation marks were needed) made up the majority of Frontierland. I did say - "It is important to draw large crowds to through this area (which it is designed for) for people to experience the majority of what Frontierland has to offer." The fact that one roller-coaster type ride, two sailing vessels, a shooting gallery, at least two dining establishments, and various storefronts are directly connected to this area gives me the confidence to claim that this most saturated area of the Land is the main area.

---------- Post added 08-09-2012 at 07:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Bingo. A lot of long-time Disneyland fans consider the entire area around the Rivers of America to be one continuum of the theme of the settlement of America -- from the entrance of Frontierland to New Orleans Square to what is now called Critter Country -- with Tom Sawyer Island as the centerpiece.
    With all due respect, the recognized boundaries (official or fan-held) of Frontierland were never in question here.

• Senior Minion

With all due respect, the recognized boundaries (official or fan-held) of Frontierland were never in question here.
    I understand, but I'm not talking about boundaries, rather the experience of visiting Frontierland and the thematically related areas that form a continuum around Tom Sawyer Island.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Hall Of Promise

Quote Originally Posted by 4Apples4Disney View Post
    If it has to go down..I just hope for a true "plussing". That's all.
    My thoughts exactly. Here is an easy and great opportunity to add or plus a great attraction. You couldn't ask for anything more than an extensive downtime to add whatever you want.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast