View Poll Results: Would you feel safe if a big earthquake would occur at Disneyland resort?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, i have complete faith

32 57.14%
  • Maybe not, the park does seem unsafe

8 14.29%
  • Disney has done what it could, but i still don't feel good

16 28.57%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Earthquake proof?

So I was researching earthquakes for a report for school and happened upon the great earthquake in Japan which lead to devastating results and massive tsunamis. It was tragic and I couldn't help but look up how it affected Tokyo Disneyland resort. Some videos displayed terrifying events (like the tower of terror ride swaying back and forth), but overall, there was no huge structural damage and no guests who sustained major injuries. It was reported that Tokyo Disneyland was built with earthquake safety in mind and the cast members were all properly trained. It went relatively smoothly during the disaster. My question is...

If a major earthquake were to hit California, as many are warning to happen soon, would Disneyland hold up efficiently (especially considering how old some parts are)? I know of underground tunnels present, would those pose a risk when things begin to collapse? Has Disney thought this all through and are the cast members trained?

Some URLs:
    Tokyo second earthquake aftershocks Disney sea 11 march 2011 - YouTube
    Tokyo Disney Resort 8.9 earthquake update | Park Thoughts

• Senior Minion

Re: Earthquake proof?

Quote Originally Posted by CatchAPairO View Post
    ...are the cast members trained?
    Nowhere near the training of Tokyo's Cast Members.

In fact, it would appear they're barely trained at all to handle such emergencies.

From Al Lutz' column "Timelines and Faultlines"...

...Anaheim has never conducted a park-wide earthquake drill for its Cast Members, and the few minutes of earthquake training Cast Member’s receive when they hire in is so basic and so vague it comes across as rather meaningless.

...the response for a moderate or severe earthquake is for all Cast Members to abandon their work locations and go to a designated “Cast Assembly Area”, while the park visitors are mysteriously directed by seemingly no one to move to separate yet unlabeled “Safe Havens,” which are open areas away from buildings.

If the earthquake response is carried out accurately, the employees and customers would be segregated into separate assembly areas that are only identified on a handful of dusty maps posted backstage.

Not a single word is mentioned in any of the Cast Member training about how to respond to panicky or injured visitors, or what to tell them, or where to direct them.

The salaried park management have also had just a few minutes of vague and useless training in earthquake response techniques, the same as the average ride operator or shop clerk got, so don’t look to the guy wearing the Dockers and the earpiece for useful direction or assistance either.

...There are vague plans to evacuate the parks along designated corridors in the strong earthquake scenarios, dumping up to 100,000 people at one time out into the Esplanade and/or surface streets around the parks.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

I don't think I'd feel safe ANYWHERE if a major earthquake hit!! Disneyland or not!
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

• Banned User

Our earthquakes are never as severe as Japan. So you can't expect training to be at the same level. Most people aren't concerned. The worst that can happen is every guest will leave the park when it is actually better than they remain in the park until damage is assessed.

I think the buildings are designed to withstand a 7.0 earthquake. The worst cases are 9.0 and no one can properly prepare for this without a lot of money.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I'd feel totally safe on anything at DCA. Inside Disneyland not so much...

• Parking Lot > DCA

I would say most everything at the Resort is up to code as far as withstanding the usual earthquakes we get go. Of course, if we were to get anything large and out of the ordinary it's hard to say.

• Minion

Try not to think about it personally but if you have to be crushed and trapped under rubble what better place the Disneyland!
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

• Minion

How do the ride systems handle earthquakes? I can imagine that all of them would shut down due to emergency conditions, but that could be incredibly devastating for anyone inside since they'd be trapped in a building.

• Lighting Design Lover

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Our earthquakes are never as severe as Japan.
    PLEASE go knock on some wood!

Although Japan's earthquakes are generally stronger, since they lie directly in a very active area of the ring of fire, we too lie in the ring of fire, just a less active area. Lying on the boundary of two tectonic plates California has the potential of receiving earthquakes as large or larger than the one Japan just had.

• Goofy

earthquakes happen through the world not always but sometimes

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy View Post
    Try not to think about it personally but if you have to be crushed and trapped under rubble what better place the Disneyland!
    Anywhere but Winnie the Pooh.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Being in the park during an earthquake must be freaky. I remember back around 06' I think there was a 6.0 in Southern California. Correct me if I am wrong. Wonder what it was like in the park then.

Also, I know this isn't really Disney related, but at Universal Studios Earthquake segment on the Studio Tour. Earthquake while on Earthquake.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
    Being in the park during an earthquake must be freaky. I remember back around 06' I think there was a 6.0 in Southern California. Correct me if I am wrong. Wonder what it was like in the park then.

Also, I know this isn't really Disney related, but at Universal Studios Earthquake segment on the Studio Tour. Earthquake while on Earthquake.
    I was in the bathrooms by Rancho Zocalo when that quake hit. Mild type swaying and it wasn't at all scary. They just shut down all the rides for inspections. We went back to the hotel and went swimming for a few hours.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Nowhere near the training of Tokyo's Cast Members.

In fact, it would appear they're barely trained at all to handle such emergencies.

From Al Lutz' column "Timelines and Faultlines"...

...Anaheim has never conducted a park-wide earthquake drill for its Cast Members, and the few minutes of earthquake training Cast Member’s receive when they hire in is so basic and so vague it comes across as rather meaningless.

...the response for a moderate or severe earthquake is for all Cast Members to abandon their work locations and go to a designated “Cast Assembly Area”, while the park visitors are mysteriously directed by seemingly no one to move to separate yet unlabeled “Safe Havens,” which are open areas away from buildings.

If the earthquake response is carried out accurately, the employees and customers would be segregated into separate assembly areas that are only identified on a handful of dusty maps posted backstage.

Not a single word is mentioned in any of the Cast Member training about how to respond to panicky or injured visitors, or what to tell them, or where to direct them.

The salaried park management have also had just a few minutes of vague and useless training in earthquake response techniques, the same as the average ride operator or shop clerk got, so don’t look to the guy wearing the Dockers and the earpiece for useful direction or assistance either.

...There are vague plans to evacuate the parks along designated corridors in the strong earthquake scenarios, dumping up to 100,000 people at one time out into the Esplanade and/or surface streets around the parks.

And a majority of this post that Al said is false.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TTN View Post
    PLEASE go knock on some wood!

Although Japan's earthquakes are generally stronger, since they lie directly in a very active area of the ring of fire, we too lie in the ring of fire, just a less active area. Lying on the boundary of two tectonic plates California has the potential of receiving earthquakes as large or larger than the one Japan just had.
    While the potential of a quake that large hitting California technically does exist, the odds are almost non-existent. The San Andreas fault is a strike-slip plate, meaning the plates slide against each other. The fault in Japan is in a subduction zone, meaning one plate actually moves under the other and creates much stronger quakes than a strike-slip plate.

If the "Big One" hits, it will probably be between a 7.0 and 8.0... which is definitely a HUGE earthquake. The 9.0 earthquake in Japan was literally 10 times stronger than an 8.0 quake is. Even the 1906 quake wasn't estimated to be an 8.0 though (7.8).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast