• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Disneyland 1980's (Aturn in a very different direction), Share Your Favorite Memories

The 1980's were a great time for Disneyland fans but it was also a shaky time for the park due to Disney being threatened to be bought out and sold in different pices. with the new all day pass and the new year round annual passport. The first half of the 1980's saw the new all day pass and the new year round annual passport. The new Fantasyland made its debut and a few more minor additions were added to the park as well.

The second half saw the saviors of Disney come into play, Michael Eisner and Frank Wells. Michael Eisney brought in record amounts of people to Disneyland during the second half but also brought somewhat of an identity crisis to Disneyland too. Disneyland saw the additions of "trendy" new attractions like Videopolis, Totally Minnie parade, Captain EO and Star Tours. There were also uncharaeristic promotions such as Circus Fantasy, Blast to the Past, and the State Fair. Other great additions were Disney Dollars and Splash Mountain.

Here is a great detailed timeline of the 1980's:

1980: Electrical Parade adds 25th Anniversary Float, Disneyland 25th Anniversary Parade, Fantasy on Parade returns, Disneyland is Your Land Show, Fantasy in the Sky 25th Anniversary Fireworks

Closures: Pirates Arcade Museum

1981: Electrical Parade adds Fox and the Hound float

Closures: Fantasyland Theater

1982: PeopleMover adds Tron scene

Closures: Big Game Safari Shooting Gallery, Skull Rock & Pirates Cove, Electrical Parade

1983: Flights of Fantasy Parade, New Fantasyland: Peter Pan’s Flight, Snow White’s Scary Adventures, Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride, Pinocchio’s Daring Journey, King Arthur’s Carousel Relocation, Mad Tea Party Relocation, Dumbo the Flying Elephant Relocation, Sword in the Stone Ceremony

Closures: Flights of Fantasy Parade

1984: Magic Journeys, Circle-Vision 360 is renamed World Premiere Circle-Vision and adds American Journeys and Wonders of China, Country Bear Christmas Special, Alice in Wonderland, Donald Duck’s 50th Birthday Parade, Haunted Mansion adds Pet Cemetery

Closures: America the Beautiful, Space Stage

1985: Main Street Electrical Parade returns with new floats and Return to Oz float, Haunted Mansion adds live Knight, Frontierland Shooting Arcade becomes Electronic, Submarine Voyage Subs renamed and repainted, Videopolis, Gift-Giver Extraordinaire, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln is revised, 30 Years of Magic Parade

Closures: Adventure through Inner Space, Fantasy on Parade

1986: Circus Fantasy Promotion, Totally Minnie Parade, Captain EO, Golden Horseshoe Jamboree Show, Country Bear Jamboree renamed Playhouse and adds Country Bear Vacation Jamboree, Big Thunder Ranch

Closures: Golden Horseshoe Revue Show, Totally Minnie Parade

1987: State Fair Promotion, The Disney Gallery: The Art of Disneyland 19953-1986, Star Tours, Disneyland Monorail adds Mark V, Pirates of the Caribbean new queue, PeopleMover repainted, Very Merry Christmas Parade returns, Snow White 50th Anniversary Parade

1988: Blast to the Past Promotion, Mickey Mouse 60th Anniversary Parade, Electrical Parade adds Mickey Mouse 60th Float, Videopolis Train Station

Closures: State Fair

Closures: America Sings, Circus Fantasy, State Fair

1989: Splash Mountain, Bear Country renamed Critter Country, World Premiere Circle-Vision adds Working for peanuts pre-show

Closures: Disneyland Presents A Preview of Coming Attractions, Blast to the Past

It was a crazy time in Disneyland, what were your thoughts of what was going on, Did you feel Disneyland was going in a strange direction? What were your best memories of this time?
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Re: Disneyland 1980's (Aturn in a very different direction), Share Your Favorite Memo

Quote Originally Posted by DL_CRAZE View Post
    1984: Magic Journeys, Circle-Vision 360 is renamed World Premiere Circle-Vision and adds American Journeys and Wonders of China...
    Loved this. It inspired me and made my life better.
    Fight On! Beat the Beavers!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    The only thing we have to shame is ... shame itself!

• Blew By You

Re: Disneyland 1980's (Aturn in a very different direction), Share Your Favorite Memo

It was a hectic decade. Disneyland as I recall was in promotional mode. There were giveaway machines, special park occasions, and a sense of some concern about the hostile takeover threat. I guess all corporations go through growing pains. Disneyland was a young adult at that time.

• Non-Minion

I really had no idea that a lot of the changes that occurd happened in the 80's. I was just a kid back then (born in 1981) and its interesting to see so many changes being made during one decade...makes me wonder

If these changes hadn't been made would Disneyland still be apart of the Disney Corporation?
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

Wonderful! I was born in 1985, and my first trip was within a few months after my birth, when they were still doing the 30th anniversary celebration. At least that's what my family's home videos show.
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

• Indiana Scott

1986 was the year I brought my brand new wife to DL (no "R" for sure back then) for her first ever visit. Even though we were suffering with sunburns, we had a great time. I remember riding BTMRR and thinking it was the same Rainbow caverns ride from my childhood and that it was a nice gentle slow ride (remember our sunburns?). It wasn't and we were screaming in pain the whole way from all the jerking around.
    Still, it made for a wonderful honeymoon .