Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 52
  1. #1

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    314

    Disney To Raise Prices Even More!

    Disney's Iger Talks Earnings - CNBC

    I guess he thinks we have trees growing money

  2. #2

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,948

    Re: Disney To Raise Prices Even More!

    Transcript, for those to lazy to watch.


    Interviewer: You phased out discounting at the parks - are you going to continue to raise prices? Can the consumer sustain full price entrance to the parks?

    Iger: What we did on discounting is that we started to wean ourselves off the discounts that were relatively deep when the economy really fell apart in 2008 and 2009. We've done a good job of steadily increasing pricing since then. We actually believe there's still some room to continue to increase pricing, but in order to do that we think we also have to invest the right product. So California Adventure and Cars Land, a good example of that, which gave us the ability to increase prices and continue to increase business, really, because we were offering such a great, new, fresh exciting product.

    - Interview Interrupts -

    Iger: ...on the other hand, with good brands and great products, as I've been saying, we not only believe we have price elasticity, but that our outlook is generally favorable.




    tl;dr version: Consumers think Disney is a quality product. Disney thinks Disney is a quality product. People are willing to pay more for a quality product. Basic economics.

  3. #3

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    568

    Re: Disney To Raise Prices Even More!

    Quote Originally Posted by thedude76 View Post

    I guess he thinks we have trees growing money
    In a way, it's kind of sad, a company built on creative imagination and a blue sky future now running on the high speed rails of corporate number crunching, margins, profitability, and the bottom line. Of course it's been that way for years. Disney calls visitors to their theme parks guests - maybe once upon a time. Now we are numbers, statistics, consumer spending targets preyed upon to shake every available dollar out of our pockets. And still we continue to let them do it. There will come a day soon when using the words "high quality" and "good value" in the same sentence will no longer apply.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

    http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

    75,000+ page views and counting.

  4. #4

    • 2 shots on the rocks.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ZZYZX Road
    Posts
    817

    Re: Disney To Raise Prices Even More!

    Yep. Disneyland is still an excellent value. ---------- Post added 08-07-2012 at 07:37 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    Transcript, for those to lazy to watch.


    Interviewer: You phased out discounting at the parks - are you going to continue to raise prices? Can the consumer sustain full price entrance to the parks?

    Iger: What we did on discounting is that we started to wean ourselves off the discounts that were relatively deep when the economy really fell apart in 2008 and 2009. We've done a good job of steadily increasing pricing since then. We actually believe there's still some room to continue to increase pricing, but in order to do that we think we also have to invest the right product. So California Adventure and Cars Land, a good example of that, which gave us the ability to increase prices and continue to increase business, really, because we were offering such a great, new, fresh exciting product.

    - Interview Interrupts -

    Iger: ...on the other hand, with good brands and great products, as I've been saying, we not only believe we have price elasticity, but that our outlook is generally favorable.




    tl;dr version: Consumers think Disney is a quality product. Disney thinks Disney is a quality product. People are willing to pay more for a quality product. Basic economics.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by doppio; 08-07-2012 at 07:05 PM.


  5. #5

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    324

    Re: Disney To Raise Prices Even More!

    Once again, will they likely raise prices?Yes, most likely. Will they raise prices tomorrow?I 99% doubt it.They will lower prices only IF: The park attendence and other forms of profit goes down dramatically. Keep in mind it it mind the situation may be a lose-lose. Sure prices could drop, BUT there would likely be cutbacks (park hours and number of rides operating for instance), but if profit stays up, then no cutbacks, but high cost.

  6. #6

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    425

    Re: Disney To Raise Prices Even More!

    back to rack is all ive got to say

  7. #7

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: Disney To Raise Prices Even More!

    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone's Favorite CEO
    ...on the other hand, with good brands and great products, as I've been saying, we not only believe we have price elasticity, but that our outlook is generally favorable.
    That's what they call it in Burbank, folks... "price elasticity."
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  8. #8

    • some assembly required
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    nowhere in particular...
    Posts
    687

    Re: Disney To Raise Prices Even More!

    A few things...
    ...if you watch, ffwd to 3:45 (the part regarding the parks)
    ...two moderators? What's the point? So they can keep interrupting him AND each other?
    ...nice to see the anchor let the air outta her lips; last time I saw her, they were the size of Kentucky. Unfortunately, her lips are still a speech impediment.
    ...when do MCers think the next increase will happen w/ general ticket prices; before or after the xmas holidays???
    ~Jay

    "Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)


  9. #9

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,451

    Re: Disney To Raise Prices Even More!

    What is price elasticity? It sounds to me that there should be an equivalent possibility of price reductions, but it's clear that's not what he means at all. :/

  10. #10

    • some assembly required
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    nowhere in particular...
    Posts
    687

    Re: Disney To Raise Prices Even More!

    Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    What is price elasticity? It sounds to me that there should be an equivalent possibility of price reductions, but it's clear that's not what he means at all. :/
    I think he used this word b/c it is a buzz word of the 21st century, and b/c it leaves room for him to say "yeah, I said that..." when/if the pricing must drop.
    He is basicallllllllly covering Disney's butt in the event the prices have to drop or if they have to add a ticket discount during the low seasons.

    Side note: did anyone watch to the end? He sounds like such a politician. AND, he didn't get the Robinhood/Disney ref, instead he just spouted some neutral political stuff. He missed an opportunity to connect w/ fans and instead, jumped on the first neutral business soapboax that he could think of.
    ~Jay

    "Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)


  11. #11

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    JSC
    Posts
    1,880

    Re: Disney To Raise Prices Even More!

    "If we think we can get away with raising prices, kids, rest assured, we will! And we'll magically laugh and sing all the way to the bank!"

  12. #12

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: Disney To Raise Prices Even More!

    Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post
    ...He missed an opportunity to connect w/ fans and instead, jumped on the first neutral business soapboax that he could think of.
    If Bob tried to be the voice of Disney that connects with fans, Disney would lose fans. Bob connects with box office returns, ratings numbers, demographic marketing and Wall Street. That's his job.

    That, and leading the team that figures out ways to squeeze more cash from their customers.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  13. #13

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Too Far From Disney
    Posts
    3,497

    Re: Disney To Raise Prices Even More!

    Fiduciary Duty.

    This stuff is pretty tough. I bet he knows a lot more on how a company runs than I will ever learn. He has a financial obligation to please the shareholders. You can determine if he's doing it right or if it's right or not, but I'm just saying.

    Of course he doesn't get the robin hood reference. He's a businessman. His job is to run the company, not memorize the whole film library.

    I agree pretty much with Mr. Wiggins.

    ---------- Post added 08-08-2012 at 03:00 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandTraveler View Post
    In a way, it's kind of sad, a company built on creative imagination and a blue sky future now running on the high speed rails of corporate number crunching, margins, profitability, and the bottom line. Of course it's been that way for years. Disney calls visitors to their theme parks guests - maybe once upon a time. Now we are numbers, statistics, consumer spending targets preyed upon to shake every available dollar out of our pockets. And still we continue to let them do it. There will come a day soon when using the words "high quality" and "good value" in the same sentence will no longer apply.
    Yeah, that's called a business. If you want to run a business without numbers and statistic, best of luck to you because you're probably not going to go very far. Disney has been a business since the beginning. Since when did Disney not want money?

    They do it, and you accept it because you do business with Disney. If you don't want them shaking every dollar out of your pockets then it's your duty to avoid going to Disney, It's not Disney's duty to prevent you from giving them money, actually it's their duty to get money from you. The fact that they can gain more profit off of raising prices is the fact that you will go to Disney no matter what. Judging from what you said, it looks like you will go anyway. Well done Disney.

    No one is a victim here. Everyone has the absolute authority on whether they spend the money to go to Disneyland. Disney isn't making you go. You (in general) are the one making the decision to go.

    Since when was making a profit bad? Society these days thinks that everyone who gains money from providing a service is all of a sudden evil. People will pay for a service if they CHOSE to use the service.
    Last edited by Disneytwins; 08-07-2012 at 11:44 PM.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

  14. #14

    • Under that tree again!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,464

    Re: Disney To Raise Prices Even More!

    Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    What is price elasticity? It sounds to me that there should be an equivalent possibility of price reductions, but it's clear that's not what he means at all. :/
    Price elasticity means if you change the price how does it effect demand. What Iger is saying Disney suspects they can raise prices and not effect demand by as much, so they can still increase revenue.

    For example if Disney sells 100 shirts at $50 each and wants to make more they raise the price 10% to $55 they don't think the shirts sold will decrease by 10%. 100*$50=$5,000. 100*$55=$5,500 if it was inelastic it would be 90*$55=$4,950. Being elastic they could sell 95 shirts, price up 10% demand down 5%, 95*$55=$5,225, increased profit and lower cost of shirts with less needed to stock the stores. It's a big win when you can do that.

    Everyone should remember that Disney Parks doesn't make all of it's money from park admission. It makes more from selling food and merchandise from the guests in the park. Also it makes a lot off hotel rents.

    The discounts that have been dissapearing is in tickets, room rates and in a smaller ways dining and merchandise. Take the average US Disney visit. Per person per day they are spending about $60 on thier hotel, $45 on food $40 on admission, $15 on merchandise. Disney has been discounting rooms a lot, tickets a little, dining a lot, and merchandise a little. Over time the discounts have been shrinking in size and availability. They have also increased prices, not just by adding to single item costs but by decreasing the lower priced period of availibility. This is how revenue has been going up faster than attendance. When the get attendance to go up it means more sales of higher prices items. Big win for Disney.

  15. #15

    • some assembly required
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    nowhere in particular...
    Posts
    687

    Re: Disney To Raise Prices Even More!

    Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Of course he doesn't get the robin hood reference. He's a businessman. His job is to run the company, not memorize the whole film library.

    I agree pretty much with Mr. Wiggins.

    I fully get that he is a business man. And one doesn't need to memorize the entire library to understand her question. I am a huge DLR fan, and I have never seen Robinhood, but I know it exists.

    Idunno, maybe he was just deflecting so that he wouldn't get sucked into the debate and I know they want to stay neutral. It just seems like he really missed something there... a chance to, Idunno, maybe sooth the masses that keep complaining about the price hike... or 10,000 other things could have been said that at least acknowledged the film. They sure as hell didn't ask him about Obama b/c they wanted to get his imput.

    Anyway, I am ready for the next price hike... I have factored this into my possible up-coming December trip.
    ~Jay

    "Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)


Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Disney to raise its ticket prices
    By OogieBoogie in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-06-2010, 05:07 PM
  2. Disney to raise prices for second time this year- Orlando Sentinel- 8/4/06
    By TheDisneyInquisitor in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-11-2006, 10:54 AM
  3. Even more fun with The Smoking Gun
    By Hyperbole in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-07-2006, 10:59 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-08-2005, 02:28 PM
  5. Even More Pics from 5-5-5
    By Formerly Code V in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-06-2005, 08:35 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •