Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Insomniac

What to do with the Starcade...

Starcade is obviously nearing the end of its life. What would you like to see replace this small space?

I would really like a interactive design experience. 3D printers and other rapid prototyping machines are going to be huge in the future. Imagine being able to design your own personalized products and have them built and ready to use within hours. That's what 3D printers will do in the future. A 3D printer can already be found in Innoventions dream home, so why not have an actual exhibit/ store where you can explore what rapid prototyping can do to enhance lives in the future. This is the basis for my idea.

Starcade (upstairs and down stairs) would be removed and gutted completely. The new area would be known as Inventor's Workshop (sponsored by Autodesk). Downstairs would be home to Inventors design shop. The upstairs would be home to a 3D printer retail space.

The Inventors design shop would be very similar to Animation Academy in DCA. Guests would enter a small theater with a curtain up front and computers in front of each seat in the theater. After entering the theater, guests are told to sit at a computer. The curtain then opens to reveal a zaney robot named Desk. Desk then explains how he was design using the same programs that guests would be learning to use. After a brief introduction he would tell guests to watch the screens in front of them. A video showcasing how design has changed over the centuries plays and ending with a video of imagineers designing Desk using 3D computer design software. After this video ends, desk explains that today guests at Inventor's Workshop will be able to use this software to design a their own products. Desk then takes guests through a quick tutorial that ends with guests having designed their own 3D objects (something simple like a cup, bowl, Mickey mouse head, ect so that the tutorial is easy to follow along). Once the guests are done, a print out (paper print out) image of their design is handed to them. They then exit the theater and find more computers set up for design work.

The upstairs would be home to the 3D printer aspect of the exhibit. Here guests would find many large glass tubes with 3D printed Disney landmarks like Sleeping Beauty's castle, Space Mountain, ect inside on display. A large glass window lets guests look into a large room filled with 3D printers that are busy printing off 3D objects. Off to the side guests can order custom made 3D printed objects (custom made by customers either downstairs or at home that can be printed using Disney's 3D printers), a selection of small preprinted objects (key chains, figurines, ect), or the much larger and very expensive park landmarks that are on display in the glass tubes. This would allow guests to purchase custom made souvenirs, which have become very popular. If guests order custom printed objects, they would obviously not be available for immediate pick up, so guests would have to give a delivery address and have them shipped.

Anyways, I think that the idea of custom merch that guests themselves had a hand in designing would be very unique and would be a better use of the space currently used by Starcade. What do you think? Would you like 3D models of Disney parks icons? Would you like to be able to design your own merch? If not, what do you think they should do with the space?
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

Re: What to do with the Starcade...

Great Idea.
    I do some work with Autocad and Autodesk Inventor as well.
    I have actually had a machine tool printed in 3D before.
    Ii is very cool to see, but I don't think it is very fast.
    How awesome would it be to have cutting edge technology in Tomorrowland.
    That hasn't happened since Bell speakerphone booths.
    3D printing can easily make the Vinylmation characters.

• Drunken Disneyland Master

At first I thought, "sounds like 'Innoventions.'" But I think its a good idea, and even adding a Virtual Space Mountain machine. Why not, it's an arcade anyways. I like it... its better than the outlet theme they have now.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    What would you like to see replace this small space?
    The air hockey should be preserved at all costs.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Disneyland Original '55

I think the upstairs could be a possible People Mover Ride load station if they ever get rid of the Center area and old ride station, but I love the Idea of an Inventors Design Shop, the Carbon Freeze Me deal for Star Wars weekend and and new Personalized Princess Figurines are really cool and use the 3D printing technology and its really cool.
    Enter into new Frontiers of Fantasy....... Today.......... Tomorrow.................Forever.........

• Insomniac

Quote Originally Posted by Coolwowzer View Post
    I think the upstairs could be a possible People Mover Ride load station if they ever get rid of the Center area and old ride station, but I love the Idea of an Inventors Design Shop, the Carbon Freeze Me deal for Star Wars weekend and and new Personalized Princess Figurines are really cool and use the 3D printing technology and its really cool.
    That was what made me start thinking of this. Costumizable merch is very sought after these days and Disney could easil do something like this. Also it would decrease shipping costs since merch for this shop would be made on site using their 3D printers.

What other ideas do you guys have for the area? I am one of the few who actually likes the idea of an arcade (although in its current state it is meh), but it just doesn't have the appeal it did in the '80's.

Great idea! Though I'm not really a merchandise buyer, it's definitely an improvement over what we have now.

If I had my way, I'd turn it into the Astronomers Club sit down restaurant ( The Neverland Files: Astronomers Club ). If this ever happened, Buzz Lightyear should not be allowed within 10 feet of the restaurant . One can always wish right?

• Insomniac

^^Very interesting idea. I feel like Starcade is not large enough for something like this. Also it was designed for Discoverland (not Tomorrowland) but I wouldn't mind seeing a version similar to this but in the same vein as the rest of Tomorrowland. I really think Pizza Port needs to be removed and redeveloped to be less 90's mall food court and more Tomorrowland cuisine.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Yeah if the PM was coming back perfect place for the Q....since rumors says its not...

I'd go with at least using the top Story as as small replacement for Intoventions when it leaves the resort, show off some new tech...and maybe make the bottom arcade Flynns..with a Wreak it Ralph Game in there

• Insomniac

^^Innoventions is actually one of the only rides left that is in the same vein as original Tomorrowland. The problem most have is partly that it showcases current technologies, but mostly because it takes up the second biggest building in Tomorrowland. I wouldn't mind seeing Innoventions style exhibits taking up smaller spaces. I just want these exhibits to have a slightly more futuristic aspect to them like flying cars, holograms, ect.

• Banned User

Tomorrowland cuisine.
    You coin an interesting phrase. I would hope that such a cuisine would be extremely healthy and nutritious, as well as delicious, of course. It would be especially important if such a restaurant could be a showcase of organic & non-GMO foods, with tons of vegan options available (although healthy non-factory farm-raised meats could be available upon request as well, such as grass-fed beef and bison, non-soy-fed pastured chicken & turkey, and wild Alaska or California salmon).

"Tomorrowland Cuisine" could be a wonderful gastronomic philosophy that could permeate all the eating establishments in Tomorrowland, in fact, and could, in an edutaining way, encourage not only the best nutrition, but also food purchasing practices, as well as appreciation for our food supply and how it operates.
    Last edited by Retrocool; 08-09-2012 at 12:29 AM.

• Insomniac

^^Is it wierd that when reading your post I immediately thought of the Disney shorts "I'm no fool, no sury I'm going to live to be 93..." lol

---------- Post added 08-09-2012 at 02:36 AM ----------

Honestly though anything would be better than the cardboard they call pizza at Redd Rockets.

• Banned User

^^Is it wierd that when reading your post I immediately thought of the Disney shorts "I'm no fool, no sury I'm going to live to be 93..." lol

You're probably thinking of this classic short -

• Insomniac

Yep that's the one! Ha!

• formerly very helpful

^^Innoventions is actually one of the only rides left that is in the same vein as original Tomorrowland. The problem most have is partly that it showcases current technologies, but mostly because it takes up the second biggest building in Tomorrowland. I wouldn't mind seeing Innoventions style exhibits taking up smaller spaces. I just want these exhibits to have a slightly more futuristic aspect to them like flying cars, holograms, ect.
    I think part of the problem is when Disneyland opened in 1955, and even when Tomorrowland was redesigned in 1967 (?), that cutting-edge technology really seemed like something out of the future. Now, technology is moving so fast that today's cutting-edge technology really seems like something out of the present.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast