Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Diva Extrodinaire

My Idea For Part of Tomorrowland

So as we all know, Tomorrowland is a "problem" area in Disneyland that seems to be a priority on the list for the company in terms of fixing. I personally have a couple of ideas as to what they can do to make it seem sleek and modern, but not leaving the potential for it to be dated. It also can help use under-utilizied areas and clear some congestion.

1. Get rid of that water-covered germ ball and park in the middle. As of now, I'm not sure as to what should go there, but honestly this can go as well as the planters to allow for more open space in Tomorrowland so the walkways feel less crowded.

2. For the next section, I will be permantely closing the oft-empty Magic Eye Theatre (where "Captain EO Tribute" is shown) and both levels of the Starcade. It will involve demolishing the theatre to create a new queue for Space Mountain, with new ramps and elevators to connect the new queue to where the indoor part of the queue roughly begins. The second level of the Starcade plus that outdoor, second-level Space Mountain queue will become the main show building for a new ride that will involve the People Mover track. The queue will be fully enclosed and feature some NextGen interactivity.

3. I think a cool, simple new ride to fill the People Mover track is key. It might not need a crazy-intense story line, but a working name that I have is TomorrowLanding. In case you can't tell, I have no story line, but I think kinectic energy with carts moving along the track will bring so much life and energy to the park. It would involve moving past dioramas, animatronics, lasers, holograms and projections, and I was thinking a 2012-technology version of a starfield (without disco balls!) even if it is too similar to Space Mountain. The queue and loading area would be the first level of the Starcade.

4. Finally, Innoventions. While I know a Stark Expo is an idea being floated around, I am in favor of a Wall-E dark ride with some thrill elements... maybe a launch in to outer space and some speeding around as Wall-E trys to dodge incoming traffic. It wouldn't be overly thrilling, but still an exciting dark ride for the whole family. I know for a fact that I think the building should be covered in LED lighting with beautiful, celestial, and modern images. I'd love for other buildings, such as the Star Trader, Astro Blaster, Redd Rockets, and new TomorrowLanding buildings to be covered with LED lights and video screens. The rest of the buildings would feature smooth wall treatments and be painted silver, black, and blue - none of this Stucco stuff!

Any thoughts?
    ONE TWO THREE NOT ONLY YOU AND ME

Re: My Idea For Part of Tomorrowland

I like it! What I would do is get rid of the weird contraption above the people mover station and replace it with astro orbitor

I would be in favor of any idea that improves the queue for Space Mountain. That includes a total demo of the starcade. Does anyone even play stand up arcade games anymore? But I don't believe anything will ever come of the people mover tracks. Except perhaps their eventual removal.

For some some great trip reports, features and reviews, please check out http://www.thedisneylandreport.com.

• Heavy Breather

Good, very good.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

Many threads/armchair imagineering post about this. Moving counter-clockwise from the hub...

1) AO goes back on top of PM station (rebuild the structure if necessary).
    2) Star Tours II stays as is as does it's exit/retail
    3) Pizza Port moves to current Starcade/Bathrooms/SM exit.....
    4) Magic Eye Theatre and Pizza Port AND Innoventions combined into one attraction space.
    5) TL Auropia - goodbye
    6) Nemo - goodbye
    7) PM tracks - goodbye
    8) Monorail tracks - keep
    9) Lagoon - keep
    10) TLCCT/Jedi Academy - keep
    11) BLAB - goodbye

This is practically a complete "gut" of TL....... I don't have suggestions for the attraction in the EO/PP/Innoventions space - but combining all 3 spaces allows for a pretty significant attraction.

Nemo/Autopia/PM tracks go away, but I like the lagoon separating TL from FL...... Whatever goes into the Nemo building space can hopefully incorporate or reincorporate the existing Monorail line, a new Autopia could be fitted in. Maybe w/ a more interesting story, or better road.

DOn't know about BLAB space either - but I don't like the ride, TSMM is better..... find a better use for the space.

Of course, AO exits it's traffic-clogging space in front of the hub, put it back where it belongs - even if you don't bring the PM back.....

TT can stay the same for all I care.....

I would think it's better to just "gut" TL at this point. We put up w/ construction walls at DCA...... They could conceivably keep SM and STII open while most of the demo/construction was going on......

Given the ROI for DCA so far, I hope the pencil-pushers see the value in budgeting a major rehab of TL....... especially w/ HP coming...... Competition is Good!

• I'm a Lutheran

Tomorrowland is in definite need of a makeover. Cars Land will only last so long as competition for Wizarding World. I know quite a few people in California personally who have been longing to see the Wizarding World since it opened, many of them Disneyland fans. This is obviously going to get their attendance, and the attendance of countless other people. A massive remodel of Tomorrowland would change that.

I'd like to see a half-in-half Tomorrowland, one half being based on science fiction, and the other half being based on science fact. It'd be a win-win situation in its own right. Also, looking at the track of BLAB has me wondering...if you look at side-by-side with the CGI video of Adventure Thru Inner Space...you could fit Inner Space in place of BLAB. It'd be cool to have a shooter-version of Inner Space where you shoot at viruses or something.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Not the Fallen

I really like the ideas you presented here. I think a new Space Mountain queue, and utilization of the former PeopleMover tracks would be excellent. Also, the addition of lighting to the buildings and other exterior elements would give the area a more "futuristic" feel.

I like it.
    Starcade should go. I never understood the purpose of having an arcade inside Disney. It cheapens the magic and brings back the real world. If you want Dance Dance Revolution, go to a mall.

The People Mover track is one of those things that the average guest has become accustom to and has ignored it for years. I say get rid of it.
    I like moving AO, it obstructs traffic.
    I'm a buzz fan so in my bias I say leave it but consider how much space the ride does not use. Could the building be downsized without the people mover track?

The corridor between BLAB and ST could have a digital canopy similar to the Fremont Street Experience in Las Vegas

Fast forward to the 34 second mark if you like. I think it would be cool to see x-wings and tie fighters overhead at night.
    With kind regards,
    The Tony

• Minion

Whatever they do inside the attractions, I hope they bring in some really good designers to give it the same visual cohesion of the other lands.

4) Magic Eye Theatre and Pizza Port AND Innoventions combined into one attraction space.
    ok...I think I can deal with this...

5) TL Auropia - goodbye
    6) Nemo - goodbye
    7) PM tracks - goodbye
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...now you're messing with forces you cannot comprehend!

To all those that keep talking about demo'ing Autopia or the subs...be careful what you ask for. Disneyland just won't be the same without them. You will eventually have nothing more than a well themed magic mountain. And that makes me very sad.

For some some great trip reports, features and reviews, please check out http://www.thedisneylandreport.com.

• Big Hockey Fan

I will not be happy with Tomorrowland if they dont put something on the tracks

• HYDRA

^with you

• Banned User

I read that the Astro Orbitor could not go on top of the People Mover station because it is too heavy. So that's out. But why not put the Rocket Jets back? But maybe make the ships X-wing fighters. In addition to the ships going up and down the X wings could open and close. The Autopia was probably a good idea back in the day when people were getting used to driving the freeways. That was an aspect of tomorrow. But not anymore. I liked the subs. I don't have any problem with them, but apparently they break down often or the lamps for the projections burn out too much. Innoventions is a waste of space. I don't think Tomorrowland or any land needs any more dark rides. When Tomorrowland reopened in 1967 it was all about motion. The Monorail, People Mover,Rocket Jets, Skyway, Autopia, Submarines, even the Carousel of Progress rotated. There was a lot of movement. The future was in motion. Now, Tomorrowland is stagnate. It's dead. Which is a sad representation of tomorrow. The entrance to Space Mountain is so hidden. It's really difficult to find where to go. They should get rid of that stupid water ball and put that ramp back in that leads up to the upper deck. The way they have it now doesn't work. Since they remodeled, I have never seen all that space used anyway. I don't like those stairs that were installed at the exit either. They should have left the ramps.

• The doctor is in

It's only a matter of time before Disney starts incorporating Marvel into the theme parks and I think replacing Innovations with a Stark Expo would be the perfect opportunity. They could update it and incorporate aspects of every superhero featured in The Avengers, like explanations of Asgard and the science behind The Hulk.

Quote Originally Posted by sdjeff4sc View Post
    Many threads/armchair imagineering post about this. Moving counter-clockwise from the hub...

5) TL Auropia - goodbye
    6) Nemo - goodbye
    7) PM tracks - goodbye
    8) Monorail tracks - keep
    9) Lagoon - keep
    10) TLCCT/Jedi Academy - keep
    11) BLAB - goodbye
    1 & 7) PeopleMover is going away, so there is no station for AstroOrbiter to go on top of. PM is going away, no doubts, no chance of saving it. Period. Full Stop.

Now, I'd like to see a replacement for the PM (whether it's cars are still shaped like the old PM cars, shaped like the Incredibles travel pods, shaped like miniature Monorail cars, or whatever), but one that actually goes places and not just in a loop.

How would you like to be able to get in a PeopleMover car in Tomorrowland and go to a station in Fantasyland or Frontierland? Or better still, how about getting in a PM car and going out to the shuttle bus loading/Esplanade area, over to the Lion King parking structure to be built in the current Pumbaa lot, or over to the shuttle loading/ticket booths/esplanade area for the still-to-be-named 3rd gate park (possibly to be a Marvel-themed park, a water park, or a Marvel-themed water park...)? Similar expansions were suggested along with the Westcot Park proposal, and simple automated switching could send you on either a round-the-park tour or a direct-to-your-stop trip. The Cast Member who loads you pushes a button or two on your car to program your destination & travel path, and you're off.

Drive the cars with Linear Motors like the WEDWay PM, have triple redundant power (powered by electricity from Anaheim power grid, but if that fails switch automatically to Disney operated generators, and if those fail switch automatically to battery backup to send everyone to their closest station for unloading), automated pop-up railings along the guideway in case everything stops and people have to walk out, and stairways & small elevators spaced around the circuit to get people down.

Also 1) You can move AstroOrbiter to the top of its own structure, possibly shaped like a truncated cone/tripod/quadrapod/etc., to put it back up to Weenie height, to visually draw people down through Tomorrowland.

2) The numbers guys would like an expanded & improved retail space for the StarTours exit, taking part or all the downstairs Starcade area.

I think Tomorrowland could use a soda stop/snack bar toward the front, so why not a Mos Eisley Cantina-themed Coca Cola bar, with some Tomorrowland-themed twist on quick bite cousine? Maybe Space (Tater) Tots with a choice of toppings (Bacon & Sour Cream, or Nacho Cheese, or whatever), Caesar Salad in a Space Cup, Fried Cheese on a Stick... Get someone who's specialty is setting this kind of thing up to make a menu.

3 & 4) Put a cut-down Avatar 4D movie into The Magic Eye Theater; put an Avatar-themed Pizza & Pasta restaurant next to it, and connect them together under the SpeedRamp up to SpaceMoutain. Theme the restaurant partly to the giant exoskeleton robot walkers, partly to AudioAnimatronic plants & animals from Pandora, with a giant 3D projected planet Polyphemus rotating slowly in the "sky" overhead.

Speaking of SpaceMountain... I'd like to move the ramp up to the current outside queue area back out front, you could out the FastPass machines just under & behind the ramp. I'd like to see the outside queue covered with a dome with built-in light show, kind of like the "Fremont Street Experience" in Downtown Las Vegas, to theme the area whie taking people out of the sun. Also, move the SpaceMountain exit forward and away from the restrooms, giving the restrooms their own path to & from.

5) Autopia is a Must-Ride for the under Ten set, much like Dumbo. Replace the cars with Electric, or reverse the ride & put the load/unload next to Small World and call it the Fantasyland Autopia again. Personally I'd like to see it split into Tomorrowland & Fantasyland versions again, with 2 lanes loaded from each side, and with futuristic electric cars running on the Tomorrowland half.

6) The ride building for the Subs runs under the Autopia track back almost to Small World and west almost to the old Motor Boat Lagoon; why not flip the Sub loading to have its lagoon in Fantasyland, behind Edelweiss Snacks & the smoking area, and the ride is no longer part of Tomorrowland. Fantasyland rides are movie based, so no complaints about having a Tomorrowland ride based on a movie franchise.

Another possibility is replacing the subs but keeping the ride building for a Nemo-themed underwater omnimover-based dark ride. Run the omnimover tracks through plexiglass tubes and repurpose the screens & AAs from the current ride, while theming the omnimover cars to yellow mini-subs. You remove the problems with slow loading of the actual subs while keeping the same storyline & theme. Put the load/unload building where the Motor Boat Lagoon is to put it in Fantasyland.

8) I'd like to see the Monorail track extended around DCA, to include a stop at the still-to-be-named 3rd gate park, a DCA/Grand Californian Hotel stop, or a DCA/Paradise Pier Hotel stop.

9) If we flip the Nemo Subs loading to Fantasyland we can repurppose the space of the Lagoon and put in a medium-sized C-Ticket dark ride. Maybe something based on planetary exploration rovers variously on Mars, the Moon, one or two of Jupiter's moons, and possibly Pluto?

10) Cover Tomorrowland Terrace with a dome with an internal light show, like I mentioned for the SpaceMountain queue, with broad open entryways that use air curtains to keep cool or warm air (cooled in summer, warmed in winter) inside.

11) You know, I actually have a number of friends who like Buzz? There are lots of people who ride that every trip to Disneyland. Keep it for now, plan to replace it several years down the road.

12) Replace Innoventions with an E-Ticket ride, personally I'd like to see a "Journey to the Center of the Earth" ride that sits somewhere between the originally planned one for Discovery Mountain at DLP, with a free-fall portion, and that built at Tokyo DisneySea, where it travels through a series of caverns full of AA lizard & insect-based fauna and fungus-based flora, while minimizing the Jules Verne side of the story, making it about exploring a series of geysers and you "accidentally" break into and explore the caverns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast