Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Hello all you DL experts! WDW Veteran needs help! :)

Okay, I'm just in the planning and possibilities stage right now. I want to go to DL but I have some standard questions that the search engine just wouldn't provide answers for. LOL

1. How many days are necessary for DL and DCA?
    2. What hotels would you recommend? I would like to stay somewhere around 70-100 a night respectively.
    3. Whats the weather like in early June and is that a good time to go?
    4. What (now don't laugh) airport do I need to fly into?
    5. I heard that DL is pretty far from the nearest airport, how do I get to the hotel?
    6. Back to hotels..dumb question. Was there an original hotel that is still there when the park opened?
    7. Should I get the package or break it down?
    8. How do you travel between parks and DTD? Bus, walk, car etc?? (You forget I'm used to WDW. LOL)
    9. Any not to be missed dining locations?
    10. Any cheap airline recommendations?

I know I'll have more but that's it for right now. LOL Oh and it will probably be just my honey and I.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Re: Hello all you DL experts! WDW Veteran needs help! :)

Here are my suggestions. I'm sure that you'll get more. Different strokes for different folks type of thing...

1. 3-5 depending on your style of enjoyment.
    2. DL Hotel. AP rates of $89/night right now, with $79-$119/night avg.
    3. Pleasant, possibility of heat wave or cold snap. 70's-80's avg.
    4. John Wayne Airport, 15 minutes away.
    5. Airport Bus, Super Shuttle, etc... Very convenient and round-trip.
    6. The DL Hotel was the first there, but they've added on to it.
    7. We break it down (AP'ers), but since you're traveling and don't know the (local) ropes, you might want a package. WOLFY999 is a member here and her husband is a T.A. I'm sure that they can help you out.
    8. DTD is between the DL Hotel and DL. You'll be hoofing it. No problem.
    9. Blue Bayou in DL and the Vineyard in DCA with plenty of others as options. Well covered in other threads.
    10. Haven't flown in a while. Check for specials. I can recommend a great travel agent to speak with, and they are members here on MiceChat. Wolfy999. She can help set you up.

Hope this helps!

Enjoy!

• Give Peace a Chance

2. 37 hotels/motels make up the Good Neighbor chain around Disneyland
    http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disn...elsLandingPage
    There is one for every budget ~ all offer transportation of some sort to and from DLR. Many are directly across the street from DLR.

3. Schools lets out in June around here so the parks will be crowded. But you will also have extended hours due to the summer, watch http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disn...darMonthlyPage for the hours. Layering is always a good idea. A light jacket for early morning and in the evening would be helpful for most people.

4-5. John Wayne Airport is approx 12 miles from DLR and they do offer a shuttle service.

8. Wear comfortable shoes!

9. DtD's Ralph Brennen's Jazz Kitchen
    ~ MickeysGirl șoș
    ~ Gotta Love the Mouse! șoș

• Banned User

Summer... Be advised that once you have been to DL and realize how much nicer it is too WDW's MK... you may never see WDW in the same light ever again.

One thing you didn't ask about... shows. DO NOT miss their E-Ticks in the Sky and their "Fantasmic!" It's much better than MGM's. Peter pan "flies". Say no more.

• Official Mice Chat person

No Problem at all walking from park to park, DCA's entrance is about 200 feet from DL's. (i'm bad at guessing the distance, but they are very very close)

I can't give you much info but this, remember, it's about 10 times smaller than the WDW resort! But it's still very very very good. Go through the gates with an open mind, and don't compare the parks, just have fun! It's a great park, good luck with the planning!

• In Technicolor!

No offense to TDLFAN, but I recommend trying not to compare DL to WDW - at least while you're in the parks. There'll be time enough back at the hotel, or back at home, for that. Just experience it all for what it is. Comparing each thing while you're there can only make you miss something small and magical, and that would be worse than 'realizing' that DL is better - whether it is or not.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Ward
    No offense to TDLFAN, but I recommend trying not to compare DL to WDW - at least while you're in the parks. There'll be time enough back at the hotel, or back at home, for that. Just experience it all for what it is. Comparing each thing while you're there can only make you miss something small and magical, and that would be worse than 'realizing' that DL is better - whether it is or not.
    I am not offended and was not telling Sumer to go in to compare, but the comparisons will be inevitable, and 99% of my FL friends who have been to the MK first agree... DL is a much more enjoyable, pretty and cozy park to visit, with nicer versions of the classic rides. That's just a fact.

• In Technicolor!

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    ... DL is a much more enjoyable, pretty and cozy park to visit, with nicer versions of the classic rides. That's just a fact.
    I seem to have taken us a bit OT here, but aren't the bold blue words of a mostly subjective nature. How can these opinions be considered "fact"?

BTW: I actually tend to agree with your opinion, in a general sense.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL
    1. How many days are necessary for DL and DCA?
    2. What hotels would you recommend? I would like to stay somewhere around 70-100 a night respectively.
    3. Whats the weather like in early June and is that a good time to go?
    4. What (now don't laugh) airport do I need to fly into?
    5. I heard that DL is pretty far from the nearest airport, how do I get to the hotel?
    6. Back to hotels..dumb question. Was there an original hotel that is still there when the park opened?
    7. Should I get the package or break it down?
    8. How do you travel between parks and DTD? Bus, walk, car etc?? (You forget I'm used to WDW. LOL)
    9. Any not to be missed dining locations?
    10. Any cheap airline recommendations?
    1) I would say 3 or more full days.
    2) If you need to budget do so, but I would definitely recommend a Disney property Hotel: Disneyland Hotel or Grand Californian. If it’s going to be a once in a blue moon chance to visit Disneyland, I say make the most of it. But that is just my recommendation.
    4) I too recommend John Wayne (SNA is the code for the airport on the web)
    5) We had a horrible experience with the cabs, so we usually take the Super Shuttle. We had a good experience with them, but you need to be sure to book the shuttle 24 hours before you leave your hotel to return home in order to get a ride back to the airport. The airport bus is pricey, but it doesn’t require a tip. If you plan to see other off-property things (not just Disneyland Resort) get a rental car. A rental car is a waste of money if you just want to see Disneyland Resort and Downtown Disney though
    6) Disneyland Hotel is the original.
    7) Booking with the Walt Disney Travel Company is a nice choice. You get some good offers in their coupon book, plus early entry into Fantasyland, which is great for photos.
    8) Disneyland is a very close-knit community. Walking is the way to do it. If you stay at the Disneyland Hotel, you will go from Hotel, right through DTD, and end up at the park.
    9) Like others have said, the Blue Bayou is definitely the one to see.

I hope that helps!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

WOW! Fabulous responses, thank you ever so much! Now to start budget hunting.

Oh an BTW I won't be comparing DL to MK as in my head they are two seperate parks. DL to me is where it all started and I can't wait to dig my heels in.

It's like having two children, I love them both equally and they are similar in many ways but they each have their own unique beauty. That is how I will walk into DL.

More questions:

Do you think that an AP will be more beneficial? It will definitely be a once in a lifetime thing as its more affordable for me to do WDW, no offense.

I appreciate the airport code and the links to the hotels close to DL. I'm going to try and shoot for DL Hotel but we shall see if its in budget.
    Is DCA usually a one day thing and DL more like two?
    I like to take my time and take it all in, not a rush and get everything done kind of person.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ward
    I seem to have taken us a bit OT here, but aren't the bold blue words of a mostly subjective nature. How can these opinions be considered "fact"?

BTW: I actually tend to agree with your opinion, in a general sense.

Ward are you gonna spank TDLFan?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Summer: Magic Kingdom is nice but Disneyland is the real Walt Disney deal. Enjoy and if you're there on a Sunday be sure to stop at the hub and say hello to the MiceChatters.

• Official Mice Chat person

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL
    I like to take my time and take it all in, not a rush and get everything done kind of person.
    My family personally gets the 3 day park hopper passes. We always start the day in Disneyland, Disneyland in the morning is great, and you can get a few of the bigger rides in with very small waits (if you're there at opening). Once we have done what we want of the park, we head to DCA around 2:00. We ride TOT, California Screamin', Soarin', and Grizzly River run, eat great soup in a bread bowl at the bakery in the warf area, and then head back to Disneyland around 6 for all the night time activity. (i.e. Fantasmic, Fireworks etc.) Then we will finish off the night in DL with what ever rides we can think of. The next morning we sleep in a little and wait for DCA's opening (around 10 usually). This is when we start the Day off at DCA, and then move to Disneyland around 5-6 and finish off the day there. On the third day we do all the stuff we have missed. I am not saying at all that you follow this schedule, because it will be your first time. We have a 'thing' down because we do it so often.
    I say spend the first day in Disneyland, the whole day, and find your way around/get to know the place. The second day you can start off in DCA, get to know your way around that park, and ride all the good thrill rides. (if your a coaster fan, you will LOVE California Screamin') since DCA closes around 6-7 (usually) you can spend the rest of the night in Disneyland. And depending how much days you stay, you can park hop as you please the rest of your stay. And as everyone has said, make sure you get reservations for the Blue Bayou! (in New Orleans Square)
    If you treat the entire resort as one whole "theme park", it takes about 4 days to get it all done. Depending on Crowds of Course.

• Haunted Mansion Holiday

1. A couple of days are good, but to try everything try for 5 days
    2. DL Hotel or paradise Pier (or unless you want to pay a bit more try GCH)
    3.Pretty warm but pack pants for the nights. Maybe a light jacket.
    4.i'd try Kennedy (is that its name?) or LAX
    5.Lots of ports have trams or buses to Disneyland
    6.Yep, the Disneyland hotel
    7.I dont know what package you are talking about
    8.Walking or monorail to Disneyland
    9.Blue Bayou, they have wonderful Monte Carlos
    10.not that i know but try Orbitz

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFl
    On my last vacation there, we stayed 3 nights (4 days) at the Disneyland Hotel. We spent 3.5 days at Disneyland and half a day at DCA. That, honestly is just my preference though.

Here was how my family's most recent trip was spent:
    We arrived Thursday morning and enjoyed all day at Disneyland.
    On Friday we enjoyed a character breakfast and then headed to Disneyland.
    On Saturday we spent the morning (early entry) at Disneyland and did DTD in the late afternoon/evening.
    On Sunday we enjoyed a couple of hours at Disneyland and then headed over to DCA for the rest of that afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's Return
    4.i'd try Kennedy (is that its name?) or LAX
    I believe you are referring to John Wayne. You might be referring to Bob Hope, but I highly doubt it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast