Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Got into the club! Should I tell her?

My wife and I are going down to Disneyland in mid-September for a short trip to celebrate our 1st year Anniversary. I have been lucky enough...through a friend, of a friend, of a friend to get a lunch reservation at Club 33. I know recently some folks have been upset about the changes to Club 33 and a reduction of some of it's exclusivity and mystique. I however a big Disneyland fan have always dreamed about going and can hardly contain my excitement.

I have told my wife that we have a lunch reservation at Cafe Orleans, which we will arrive to find closed for refurbishment. So instead I was going to recommend getting some Club 33 sign photo(s) on our way back toward the main street eateries, but instead I'll push the button and inside we'll go!

The reality is that I am more the obsessive fan than she is. She knows of the Club, but isn't as into the parks as much as I am. I think sometimes she feigns excitement for my sake.

So here is the question, should I keep the surprise or tell her what is coming? Trying to keep this secret for another month just might kill me.

• Disney Fan 4 Life

Re: Got into the club! Should I tell her?

Congratulations on obtaining such a privilege! Even a somewhat fan will get a kick out of dining at Walt's Club. A wonderful, romantic anniversary surprise! Some of us will never have that experience.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

• Minion

Keep the surprise. I think even a non-fanatic can appreciate the excitement of an exclusive club. You can even do an "Oh heck, let's push the button and see if anyone answers" thing at the door. Excitement is contagious. When she sees how excited you are, she won't help but be excited herself .

• "Think, think, think."

I think you should surprise her. As long as she doesn't find out in advance that Cafe Orleans will be closed during your trip, your "lunch act" leading up to the entrance to the Club sounds charming.

Remember that the club has a dress code. The dress code is more relaxed for lunch and dressier for dinner. Somehow, you'll need to convince your wife to "dress up" for lunch to eat at Cafe Orleans. The Club 33 lunch dress code is: No tank tops, cut-offs, swimsuits, bare midriffs, flip flops or beachwear. Walking-length shorts (knee-length) and quality jeans (provided that they cover undergarments) are acceptable. Shoes are required to be worn at all times.

Also remember to time your "lunch act" so you are pushing the Club 33 button no earlier than five minutes before, but no later than your reservation time.

Looks like we will just miss you at DLR. We're having dinner at Club 33 on September 16, and lunch on the 18th (my DW wanted to be at DLR for the Halloween makeover.)

Good luck with the surprise and have a great time at the Club!

• Indiana Scott

My DW and I have the same kind of dynamic with myself being the the Disney geek. Personally "I" would wan't to look forward to it but I think she would be happier being surprised.
    When are you going? We'll be there 9/9 through 9/13.

•   
    • ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME

Blog Entries

It's a good idea but you need to check in outside of the resort at the guest relations so I think your surprise will be over at that point
    Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Trav1Disney View Post
    It's a good idea but you need to check in outside of the resort at the guest relations so I think your surprise will be over at that point
    I have never had to check in at Guest Relations. Just go straight to the door. (Only reason to go to Guest Relations would be if the sponsor was leaving tickets from their allotment for entrance.)
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Silent Lucidity

The "Surprise Option" would be the way I'd go. Just in case, jot down my cell phone number (555) 555-5555, you know, just in case she storms off and you can't keep your reservation; my daughter and I will be in the park, we are willing to take one for the team and cover your reservation.

• Hooterville, USA

My advice is to be very hungry. The salad bar is all you can eat. That means crab, lobster, shrimp, salmon, etc.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Hukuna Matata!

I would not tell her, I would tell her that you are going to a nice dinner, Im sure you know this but when your there see what they have for sale, I missed the Club 33 Mickey ears, but will get them oneday, oh yes Have a great time and show her the trophy room. Congrats

• Minion

I didn't tell my kids the first time. I told them we were having lunch at Cafe Orleans, but I wanted to take a family pic at Court of Angels, so had them all dress up. 2 of the 3 had it figured out by the time we were pushing the button, but they LOVED it.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

•   
    • ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    I have never had to check in at Guest Relations. Just go straight to the door. (Only reason to go to Guest Relations would be if the sponsor was leaving tickets from their allotment for entrance.)
    I see I didnt know that , I am a guest of GE when I go and I am required to check in even thoe I have a season pass
    Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come

Thank you all for your advice, I am going to go ahead and keep the secret. But know that it is killing me...more every day.

We will be there at the same time ScottG, September 11th-13th (maybe 14th). We were bummed there is no Fantasmic, Fireworks, Space Mountain, or Haunted mansion on the 11th-13th, so we might HAVE TO stay the day after we check out on the 14th to experience those.

• Indiana Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Maldridge05 View Post
    Thank you all for your advice, I am going to go ahead and keep the secret. But know that it is killing me...more every day.

We will be there at the same time ScottG, September 11th-13th (maybe 14th). We were bummed there is no Fantasmic, Fireworks, Space Mountain, or Haunted mansion on the 11th-13th, so we might HAVE TO stay the day after we check out on the 14th to experience those.
    This is why we're arriving on Sunday. We'll get to ride Space a couple of times and see Fantasmic. The rest of the week should be very light and enjoyable.

Have a great time at the Club - We'll be totally jealous!
    Last edited by ScottG; 08-13-2012 at 01:37 PM.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

I would keep it a surprise as long as you can. We had to check in at Guest Relations before entering the Park when we were able to go a year ago.

When you get into the Club, mention that it is your anniversary. We got a lovely surprise at the end of our HUGE meal and could hardly eat it. (so, save some room!)

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast