Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• formerly very helpful

Re: The New ‘Walk in Walt’s Disneyland Footsteps’: Including Walt's Apartment

Rather than keeping it "sacred," I look upon this as a way of really remembering Walt's presence in the park, and therefore rather respectful of him and his ideals.

Anything that helps us remember the man who started all of this is alright, in my opinion.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Folks -- there is more than one meaning to the word sacred. Look it up.

• Quality not quantity

I've stood in front of the Fire House and watched as endless streams of guests head past and on down main street without giving the apartment so much as a glance.

I like the idea that more people will be exposed to the Apartment and the legacy that it holds. So assuming the tours show it the respect it deserves I'm all for more people having access.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

A good majority of you guys are APs and a good portion of attendance at Disneyland are people with APs who appreciate the park and Walt Himself. Why can't people with admiration for this man be able to step into his personal apartment? It's better people be able to appreciate this great piece of history, rather than let it sit there and not be appreciated at all. It's not like everyone is going to wreck it.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    A good majority of you guys are APs and a good portion of attendance at Disneyland are people with APs who appreciate the park and Walt Himself. Why can't people with admiration for this man be able to step into his personal apartment? It's better people be able to appreciate this great piece of history, rather than let it sit there and not be appreciated at all. It's not like everyone is going to wreck it.
    Completely agreed. I think this can only be a positive move pushing the legacy of Walt Disney.

• Silent Lucidity

Are they really now charging for the Group Photo? My daughter and I took the "Walk In Walt's Footsteps" tour about 10 years ago. All the tour participants and the guide were grouped together near the Maingate for a photo at the tours start; the photo was then presented to each person in the tour for "Free" at the end.

Seems like maybe they should have used the time tested charge $120 instead of $100 and give them a free photo at the end bit would have been a better move. Probably no thread like this if they had

For some some great trip reports, features and reviews, please check out http://www.thedisneylandreport.com.

• Closed Account

When people could only visit Disneyland once a year--if at all--it was SPECIAL. Special beyone mere words (which folks tried to express on postcards and in letters). It was truley "magical."

When such experiences become commonplace, the magic disappears.

Sort of like the Disneyland of today. Sad that the apartment is now on that road.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

There was the mention of mystique earlier in this thread, why not keep that mystique?
    Why do some people need access to everything? No, Walt wasn't a "God". He was an innovator and a dreamer and loved his Disneyland. I tend to imagine his spirit still looking
    down from that window and to see tour groups in the apartment smacks of insensitivity to not only Walt's spirit but what that apartment meant to him and his family. I for one would not go in the apartment even if it was for free. I will continue to wave and tip my cap to the light in the window when exiting the park and that's it.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Homan said:

Because the Apt was never meant to be seen by the general public. I'd rather not see it out of respect for both Walt's memory and the Disney family. What gives YOU the right to see the apt, because you will pay the money to see it?
    You mean like the ancient tombs we explore? Or how about touring castles or palaces?
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    When people could only visit Disneyland once a year--if at all--it was SPECIAL. Special beyone mere words (which folks tried to express on postcards and in letters). It was truley "magical."

When such experiences become commonplace, the magic disappears.

Sort of like the Disneyland of today. Sad that the apartment is now on that road.

And here's my answer to that
    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    You mean like the ancient tombs we explore? Or how about touring castles or palaces?
    Does touring the Egyptionn tombs really make them less amazing because people can see then everyday of the year?
    No, if an amazing thing people people want to see let them........I want to go to Walt's Apartment not because its secret but because he was an amazing man and I want to go in the place he looked down on the Park he built.....no matter how many people go in there that magic for me will never go away

Soooo... Exactly where does it say you have to pay for the picture and you can't use your own camera? Perhaps I missed that part or maybe people are freaking out for no reason...

• Embrace the kitsch!

I for one would not go in the apartment even if it was for free. I will continue to wave and tip my cap to the light in the window when exiting the park and that's it.
    This is exactly how I feel about the opening up of backstage after the fireworks. I was sitting at the Plaza Pavilion when I saw them open the door and start screaming like a bunch of carnival barkers, "Shortcut to the exit right here!" I started to get up, excited because I had a chance to go backstage, then thought, "No, I refuse on principle," and sat back down.

I'm not trying to sound self-righteous or anything. I think some things are better left unknown. Leave backstage to the CM's and the apartment to Walt's memory.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    It's a small apartment in Disneyland for petes sake, not the Taj Mahal.

As for ancient tombs, how'd that work out for Harold Carter, hmmm?
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Pilot EdForceOne

It's a small apartment in Disneyland for petes sake, not the Taj Mahal.
    Yet you want it held to a higher standard...
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast