Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

• Musical Fireman

Re: The New ‘Walk in Walt’s Disneyland Footsteps’: Including Walt's Apartment

WDI has been showing behind the scenes stuff since Disneylands inception so that is not a viable excuse. I don't think Walt would mind people seeing his apartment as he was always a welcoming kind of person, why else would he want his close friends call him "Uncle Walt" yes he would not like being used as a gimic but I dont think he also likes us holding him at such a high standard and worship him as a superhuman, he would remind us he was just a person like the rest of us and to relax and just have a good time in the park he made for just that reason.

See ya walkin' right down the middle of o'l Main Street USA

"THAT'S R
    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

I don't see how this differs from a visit to Dickens' house or Mark Twain's office, or Abe Lincoln's House or Walt Whitman's...We like a glimpse into those places where the "magic" was conjured. No one wants to go flop down on the couch or have a keg party. It's a respectful desire to get a new perspective into the man who brought us such joy and inspiration.

Celebrities and the like have been getting just such a look for years. I think it's only fair that the "regular folk" have an opportunity to see this special place. If it's not your thing, if you'd rather not see behind the curtain, that's understandable. That others would like to see it doesn't fundamentally denigrate the man or the place or the magic.

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

Personally, I love seeing all the wonderful bits and pieces that make up Disneyland, my home away from home. <3 Disneyland itself is, in my eyes, sacred and always will be. Seeing backstage, exclusive areas and previously-cordoned off places adds to the wonder, not takes from it. To wander the places where feet have previously rarely gone is such a special treat... I would walk those steps with respect and wonder. The fact that something so huge and commanding started from (semi) modest beginnings seems like something to be shared not cloaked in fog and mystery.

The fact that Disneyland is sacred is a subjective experience. I still feel it has that mystery even though more people have access to it. The magic is shared with all and, therefore becomes even more magical.

But that's just my two cents.
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by emwhysee View Post
    I don't see how this differs from a visit to Dickens' house or Mark Twain's office, or Abe Lincoln's House or Walt Whitman's...We like a glimpse into those places where the "magic" was conjured. No one wants to go flop down on the couch or have a keg party. It's a respectful desire to get a new perspective into the man who brought us such joy and inspiration.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

•   

^

Agree with those who appreciate the access to these behind the scenes amenities. Walt loved to parade WED and their innovations out in public. Countless episodes of the TV show originated from his "office" and the workshops of Imagineering. Also, Walt commented to many of his friends and Disney employees that he had become much less Walt Disney, the man, than Uncle Walt [Disney], the marketing character. Just like his mouse, he made himself into a figurehead for the Disney empire, making this idea that anything is sacred in the Disney companies a tough argument to sell.

I do believe that the tour stop into his personal retreat should be conducted in a reverent way, with the best possible precautions to keep the apartment preserved to Disney park standards. I certainly don't think they should be allowing people to overnight there, should anyone ever get that preposterous idea in their craw.

Mystique is an interesting thing. Before I traveled to WDW and I heard about the "WDW underground," something inside of me stirred, and I felt like it would be so amazing to check it out. Now I would still do it, but the mystique just doesn't exist since I realize it is just workplace access halls etc.

I think the mystery is what channels our inner child. When we feel that inner stir it feels so amazing, but something in us knows that it is destined to let us down a little.

I have wanted to go inside Walts Apartment since I heard about it. I was there last year when they had the 2500 holiday tour which included Walts Apartment, and dangit I wish I could have gone. This new plus to the tour makes me want to fly from Hawaii with my kids ASAP (Cant afford it yet though). Though I know logically that it will disappoint me once it is done, this is because I'm not really a kid anymore.

I've said it before in many ways, but it is simple as that we are chasing our childhood sense of wonder and as adults we only encounter it in a fleeting manner. We feel it flow through us like a breeze when we read of "something in Disneyland that we have never seen." But once you get there to that mysterious place, your still an adult who can reason yourself out of a sense of wonder.

I say enjoy it while it lasts. When I rode the Lily Belle last December, it was great. It is a memory I will always share with my children, and I held it in reverence. I was polite on the train, and my children were well behaved (as the tour guide was kind enough to point out). Do you think that the Lily belle was cooler to my kids than TSMM? I doubt it. Why because they are kids, and everything is new and amazing to them!

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Olson View Post
    I do believe that the tour stop into his personal retreat should be conducted in a reverent way, with the best possible precautions to keep the apartment preserved to Disney park standards. I certainly don't think they should be allowing people to overnight there, should anyone ever get that preposterous idea in their craw.
    You forget that up until a few years ago, letting anyone other than a few select CM's into Walt's apartment was a preposterous idea. 10 years ago, letting the general public into Club 33 was a preposterous idea. 15 years ago, having a McDonald's inside the park was a preposterous idea. 20 years ago, using DL as an afterschool hangout was a preposterous idea. 25 years ago, allowing facial hair on male CM's was a preposterous idea.

Declining by degrees in action, folks. It may be a preposterous idea now, but I give it no more than five years before you, yes, YOU, can stay in Walt's apartment for the very reasonable price of $5,000/night.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• "I don't like the color"

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    You forget that up until a few years ago, letting anyone other than a few select CM's into Walt's apartment was a preposterous idea. 10 years ago, letting the general public into Club 33 was a preposterous idea. 15 years ago, having a McDonald's inside the park was a preposterous idea. 20 years ago, using DL as an afterschool hangout was a preposterous idea. 25 years ago, allowing facial hair on male CM's was a preposterous idea.

Declining by degrees in action, folks. It may be a preposterous idea now, but I give it no more than five years before you, yes, YOU, can stay in Walt's apartment for the very reasonable price of $5,000/night.

^^^

Name:  d3.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  28.6 KB
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Senior Minion

And that, folks, is the Bingo of the Year.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Cool Re: The New ‘Walk in Walt’s Disneyland Footsteps’: Including Walt's Apartment

Quote Originally Posted by gtsouthard View Post
    Honestly did the tour, Ive only been to DL about 5 times and I actually knew more than our guide. As far as club 33 goes, i personally think you are better off NOT seeing the foyer because frankly its a mess in there it does not appear to be that well maintained. leave it to your imagination it is better
    The Club 33 foyer is so darned tiny, I cannot imagine it being much of a tour. Add a dinner party waiting for their table, and it would be downright claustrophobic in there. I think one would feel they are getting more bang for their buck if they were able to see the Trophy Room, or heck, even the throne in the ladies room!

While I wouldn't call the foyer a mess (I truthfully don't understand what you mean by it not being well maintained; it's just dark and cramped), it does hardly seems fodder for a tour... JMO, of course.
    Last edited by Tink-erbell; 08-15-2012 at 01:15 PM.

I completely agree on cast having facial hair and generally concur on Club 33. There may have been a point where 33 would have closed for operating costs. I don't really know the story behind it becoming so much more accessible. Ostensibly, there is practically zero overhead in keeping a light on in the apartment window, but the same cannot be said for an idealized, private Club 33. That place would have to be fully-staffed whenever it was open and it might well be that the business was too unpredictable when it was more exclusive. I'm sure someone can illuminate me as to the economics of this.

For the people calling it sacred, ruins the mystery, or is in some way disrespectful(which is weird because tons of great people of history have their homes toured), dont go! but dont force those beliefs on to other people. The people in favor of it aren't demanding that you nay sayers take the tour. Why then, do you feel that they should be forced not to see it?

Seriously, some mice chatters need to learn the phrase "to each his own."
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Pilot EdForceOne

You forget that up until a few years ago, letting anyone other than a few select CM's into Walt's apartment was a preposterous idea
    Really? I guess this prize back in 1995 really blew up the world...
    Walt Disney's Apartment in Disneyland - Rainbo Animation Art

And that is just one example of many where the public or C33 people were granted tours or even events at the apartment.

The Adventures by Disney Tour has been going on for over 4 years itself...
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

I can see merits to both sides; personally, Walt's Apartment and the Matterhorn Basketball Court are the last two areas of the park I haven't been to that I still would love to see, but that's just me. Some people don't like behind-the-scenes/spoilers, and some do. What I DO find funny is that many seem to forget that Disneyland has always (from day one) had large corporations serving food and selling merchandise within the park. Here's a quick list of shops/restaurants sponsored by corporations from the early years: Gibson Greeting Cards, INA, Coca Cola, Hollywood Maxwell Intimate Apparel, Bank of America, Sunkist, Kodak, Blue Bird Shoes, Carnation, Swift Premium Meats, Upjohn, Maxwell House, Hills Brothers, Aunt Jemima, and Wurlitzer. Walt himself knew how to use the money of other corporations to get what he wanted done. The difference from "back then" and "today" is that the stores from 50-60 years ago have a veil of nostalgia and warmth wrapped around them. Although I'm not a fan of the food of McDonald's, I find them no more evil or revolting than Coca Cola, which has had a spot on Main Street from the start.

I also see merit in comparing tours of Walt's Apartment to tours of homes of other historically significant figures. Most of the important family heirlooms were removed years ago; what remains is either a replica or replacement. I don't really see the opening up of Walt's Apartment as another piece of proof of the Disney Corporation's slide into moral or ethical decay. It became inevitable because more and more people heard about it and they wanted to learn more about him, even if it means paying a few bucks to see it.

It's a little disheartening to hear the repetitive "all they want is money" mantra over and over again. Without that money, Disneyland wouldn't be as clean as it is, as well-designed, as well-landscaped, or as full of entertaining things to see and do. Initially, DCA was a huge blunder and an error in the history of the Disney Corporation, as they underestimated what the public would pay to see if they slapped the Disney name on it. Ever since the 50th Anniversary, I have seen a huge turnaround in both parks, as they have attempted to please both sides of their fans: the ones who just want to have fun, and the ones who want Disneyland to be just like it was 50 years ago. It's a tough scale to balance.
    See vintage & current Disneyland photos, 24/7
    http://davelandweb.com/disneyland
    http://davelandblog.blogspot.com

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast