Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: The New ‘Walk in Walt’s Disneyland Footsteps’: Including Walt's Apartment

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandreport View Post
    Say what!? Kodak an american institution? Hollywood Maxwell? A bank? I applaud your efforts to apply some nostalgia to those sponsors, but I am 100% the motives were no different then as they are today. To subsidize the operations of the park. They were not chosen because they blended in with Main Street.
    They no doubt helped to subsidize the operations of the park. But at the same time the choice of sponsors was not 100% random either. Sponsors were also placed on Main Street to convey a specific feeling or mood that Walt wanted his guests to experience. It wasn't random. Walt's collection of shops on Main Street were placed there to not only sell things but to also create a certain mood amongst the guests.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandreport View Post
    Say what!? Kodak an american institution? Hollywood Maxwell? A bank? I applaud your efforts to apply some nostalgia to those sponsors, but I am 100% the motives were no different then as they are today. To subsidize the operations of the park. They were not chosen because they blended in with Main Street.
    You're confusing Disneyland nostalgia with Disneyland history. Eastman Kodak was founded in 1889. Bank of America in 1904. DelMonte (sponsor of the Market House) in 1886. Sunkist in 1908. Coca-Cola in 1886. Bekins Van Lines in 1891. Swift & Company (another sponsor of the Market House) in 1855. Wurlitzer in 1856. American Greetings/Gibson Greetings in 1906. Upjohn in 1886. Hills Brothers Coffee in 1906. Insurance Company of North America in 1792.

With one exception, the corporate sponsors Walt signed for Main Street were appropriate to the turn-of-the-century theme of Main Street, both in the period of their existence in America and in the "American institution" aspect of their names during the period depicted in Main Street: their products were in the drug stores, kitchens and parlors of small town America in the 1890-1910 core period of Main Street, U.S.A. Their inclusion on Main Street made perfect story sense and thematic sense -- which cannot be said for putting McDonald's in Frontierland.

I'll give you Hollywood-Maxwell -- it only goes back to the 1940s, and in any case what a bra shop was doing in Disneyland beats the hell outta me.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    They no doubt helped to subsidize the operations of the park. But at the same time the choice of sponsors was not 100% random either. Sponsors were also placed on Main Street to convey a specific feeling or mood that Walt wanted his guests to experience. It wasn't random. Walt's collection of shops on Main Street were placed there to not only sell things but to also create a certain mood amongst the guests.
    Exactly.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Being 50 years old doesn't make it an American Institution. By the definitions provided, one could easily say that McDonalds is an American institution (which it is by any measure), and an appropriate marker of an era. But I'm sure most would say that the inclusion of McDonalds would be sure fire corporate greed.

For some some great trip reports, features and reviews, please check out http://www.thedisneylandreport.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    You're confusing Disneyland nostalgia with Disneyland history. Eastman Kodak was founded in 1889. Bank of America in 1904. DelMonte (sponsor of the Market House) in 1886. Sunkist in 1908. Coca-Cola in 1886. Bekins Van Lines in 1891. Swift & Company (another sponsor of the Market House) in 1855. Wurlitzer in 1856. American Greetings/Gibson Greetings in 1906. Upjohn in 1886. Hills Brothers Coffee in 1906. Insurance Company of North America in 1792.

With one exception, the corporate sponsors Walt signed for Main Street were appropriate to the turn-of-the-century theme of Main Street, both in the period of their existence in America and in the "American institution" aspect of their names during the period depicted in Main Street: their products were in the drug stores, kitchens and parlors of small town America in the 1890-1910 core period of Main Street, U.S.A. Their inclusion on Main Street made perfect story sense and thematic sense -- which cannot be said for putting McDonald's in Frontierland.

I'll give you Hollywood-Maxwell -- it only goes back to the 1940s, and in any case what a bra shop was doing in Disneyland beats the hell outta me.

Exactly.
    Make that at least four exceptions for Main Street - Global Van Lines, founded in 1933, was a choice Walt made in the 1960's, when he actually had money for the park! Cole of California (swimwear), founded in 1923 (next to Coke Corner), Jimmy Starr's Show Business in Town Square (seller of movie star photos, both vintage and modern day), as well as the use of sets from Babes in Toyland, a 1961 film, as an exhibit in The Opera House, followed by the home base for the Mickey Mouse Club. I have no problem at all with any of those choices, but it's difficult to see them as anything other than a need to subsidize the rest of the park. Corporate sponsors were not just limited to Main Street as previously pointed out, but spread throughout the entire park, including Fantasyland (Welch's Grape Juice), Frontierland (Frito-Lay), and the entire land of Tomorrowland, which only came together because of a corporate sponsorship (Kaiser Aluminum, American Dairy Association, etc.). Walt was smart; he knew how to get what he wanted and did it with creative style, which is why so many years later, people want to see where he lived and slept while the park was in its infancy, and also the reason why this entire thread was started.
    See vintage & current Disneyland photos, 24/7
    http://davelandweb.com/disneyland
    http://davelandblog.blogspot.com

^^ Yeah.

For some some great trip reports, features and reviews, please check out http://www.thedisneylandreport.com.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Really? I guess this prize back in 1995 really blew up the world...
    Walt Disney's Apartment in Disneyland - Rainbo Animation Art

And that is just one example of many where the public or C33 people were granted tours or even events at the apartment.

The Adventures by Disney Tour has been going on for over 4 years itself...
    I also attended the first AP party back in 1995, and it was an experience I will never forget.

Other than not being able to view Club 33's foyer/lobby area, we were able to tour Walt's apartment, preview the IJ queue, tour the Country Bear backstage, and visit the Lilly Belle.

Having had the wonderful opportunity in subsequent years to dine at Club 33, I can personally say that peeking into the door when somebody enters the Club will probably grant one nearly as good of a view of the foyer/lobby downstairs as a tour will provide.

Unless they were to grant one a tour of, say, the artwork upstairs in the hall, the Trophy Room, or even the rather unique toilet in the ladies' restroom, I don't "personally" believe a visit to the Club 33 foyer to be a defining moment (or deciding factor) in a tour.

That said, I do completely understand why somebody may pay to have the opportunity to be granted access "beyond the velvet ropes," so to speak. I just feel they may feel somewhat shortchanged by the foyer/lobby experience when they see how incredibly tiny it is.

Outside of the $99.00 annual pass price at the time, (with another $10.00 for AAA membership), and the "oh-so-awesome" included parking right outside the Disneyland exit turnstiles, the first AP party was the highlight of owning a pass over the many years I owned one.

For me, however, I would rather prefer to pay a premium price for a guaranteed seat at the Disneyland Candlelight on one of the first two nights out of the twenty it will be running this December.
    Last edited by Tink-erbell; 08-16-2012 at 12:04 PM.

They aren't always trying to charge you for it. There is a great way to see it for free. If you have an iPad download the Second Screen app for Lady and the Tramp. There is a button to enter a 360 tour of Walt's Apartment. Its cool because as you turn the ipad the room turns along with you. It's the closest you can get without opening up your wallet!

---------- Post added 08-16-2012 at 04:26 PM ----------

and, I just found you can also view it online through their website at disneysecondscreen.com....just don't try to spin your monitor around!

Disneyland has the distinction of being the only Disney park where Walt was actually there. I think showing the park guests that he also lived there just adds more to the allure of what makes Disneyland far way more unique than any other Disney theme park could ever be.

Just a quick note about photography. If the appartment has its original furniture and art (not replicas), not allowing to take photographs might be simply to preserve them better. Many historical tours do not allow flash photography (or photography at all, as people "accidentally" use flash) as amount of flash they would get daily would just damage paintings and fabrics faster. Of course it is also to sell you the guidebooks to help to fund preservation work too, I am sure.

• Senior Minion

^ True, but the furnishings in Walt's apartment that would be susceptible to UV damage from flash are not the originals.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567