Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: Candlelight Processional showing on 20 nights this Holiday Season (Merged)

So I'm guessing that AP's who purchase a dining package will get premium seating, and registered AP's will get secondary seating, and everyone else will get the standing viewing? Not that it matters to me since I have no desire to see Candlelight and probably won't be at the park in December. I'm just trying to wrap my head around this whole thing. I've never been to the one in WDW so I have no idea how they make it work back there.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

For the uninitiated, here's what you can expect from each nightly performance if they leave it in Town Square. Note how the second show lines up down the length of Main street, effectively shunting ALL evening foot traffic to the sidewalks and shops, i.e. the same as a parade but for a longer period of time: So here's the deal: It was crazy enough when it was during the first or second week in December. But if this is still going on after Dec 15th, (After a good portion of the schools are out on vacation) I think we'll be looking at gridlock of biblical proportions. (No pun intended.)

The Line For Candlelight by WJMcIntosh, on Flickr

My guess is that DL will close to regular park guests (hopefully following fireworks, so everyone can enjoy them...unlike what they do at Halloween....don't get me started on that!) and those with wristbands (AP's who've registered) will be allowed to stay for the processional once the park has cleared. I'm also guessing that AP's will be allowed to register for only one night during this time period and there will be a limited amount of tickets available for each night much like what they have done for the special Fantasmic anniversary or the special AP Glow with the Show nights. Depending on the type of passholder you are, AP's will probably have specific dates to choose from (based on block out dates). So I don't think it's going to be that big of a nightmare. As far as clearing the park, I think they've pretty much become pros at handling this. If you've ever watched them do this for Mickey's Halloween Party, you know what I mean. They can easily guide guests to one side of the park for those coming in and one side for those going out. They can also have people exit out the "back way" (the area on the back side of the shops on Main Street) like they do on New Year's Eve so to alleviate the congestion of a mass Exodus on Main Street.

I don't see the big deal with trying to get local choirs, choral groups, high school/college choral groups to perform at DL. There are so many in Southern California and even farther that would jump at the chance to get to perform at the CP. It could be that the groups are only asked to perform for 2 nights, thus solving the idea that any one group has to commit to 20 straight days. And as far as celebrity guests, do you really think that it would be that difficult to get 10 celebrities to perform 2 nights each?? People love Disney and love to participate in special events like this. Even if they had a different celebrity guest each night, I really can't imagine they would have a problem.

I'm sure Disney has all the details of the performances along with crowd control worked out "on paper." Now, if they have really strong employees who can carry it all out with a limited amount of glitches, that remains to be seen. However, I will say that they have done a much better job in controlling challenging crowds in the last 2 or 3 years. And well, the magic, is always there if you choose to keep looking for it!

-Just my 2 cents....maybe 4 cents (inflation!)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cdirvine View Post
    My guess is that DL will close to regular park guests (hopefully following fireworks, so everyone can enjoy them...unlike what they do at Halloween....don't get me started on that!) and those with wristbands (AP's who've registered) will be allowed to stay for the processional once the park has cleared. I'm also guessing that AP's will be allowed to register for only one night during this time period and there will be a limited amount of tickets available for each night much like what they have done for the special Fantasmic anniversary or the special AP Glow with the Show nights.
    This type of thing MIGHT work during weekdays, but if they stick with their plan and go a full 20 nights, the park will be open to midnight for EVERYONE beginning December 14th, right? So imagine the whole wristband thing except NO ONE is being asked to leave. I don't think the majority of these performances will be anything like Halloween time when they kick everyone out. Also, keep in mind that they wouldn't be able to give away or sell NEARLY as many tickets as halloween time (10,000 or so?) as the maximum viewing is probably....what? 500 per show? I can't see them emptying out the entire park for 500 people on Main Street. They may do a handful of AP performances in early December after everyone has gone, but that sounds like a costly endeavor for 500 people.

I don't see the big deal with trying to get local choirs, choral groups, high school/college choral groups to perform at DL. There are so many in Southern California and even farther that would jump at the chance to get to perform at the CP. It could be that the groups are only asked to perform for 2 nights, thus solving the idea that any one group has to commit to 20 straight days. And as far as celebrity guests, do you really think that it would be that difficult to get 10 celebrities to perform 2 nights each?? People love Disney and love to participate in special events like this. Even if they had a different celebrity guest each night, I really can't imagine they would have a problem.
    Having had my choirs perform in a number of Candlelight performances in the past, the real issue is the amount of music that has to be memorized. I had several colleagues of mine who only participated one year and then swore never to do it again as much of the music just won't work in a typical school/church Christmas concert. The arrangements are wonderful, but very orchestra heavy. Once the orchestra goes away, many of the pieces don't work. I think we typically used about 3 out of the 10 each year, and some years we didn't use any. That's a LOT of work for two performances, and when you add that to the music that you are actually going to use in your holiday concert, it becomes almost unmanageable. It's also a director's meeting and at least one major evening rehearsal before meeting at the park on the day of the event. Having said that, it seems to be working in Florida. My concern here is that most directors plan things pretty far in advance. I've already got my set down for my holiday concert at the college where I work. If I were to try to dump another 10 songs on my choir this year, it simply wouldn't work. If Disney hasn't advertised to area choirs yet, they could really run into some serious problems, especially when trying to fill up the week days. Most schools won't be keen on having their students out during the middle of the week, and it will be tough for church choir members to get out on multiple mid week nights as well. I'm not saying it can't be done. Maybe they already have commitments from last year's groups or have found other ways of compensating the singers for multiple nights and everything is fine. It just makes be nervous.

I hope I'm not coming across as too negative here. I absolutely LOVE this show and I try and make it down every year now even though my groups are too busy to perform. It's a beautiful show with wonderful music that goes back...over 50 years? I would be devastated if Disney were to ever simply drop Candlelight from their lineup. But when I saw 20 nights of performances, I have to admit that my heart skipped a few beats. It will certainly be interesting to see how they pull this off.
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 08-22-2012 at 09:32 PM.

What if they close the park at 11 pm on the last Friday and Saturday and have the CP at Midnight? AP's have already proven that they will come out to a special "AP only event" late at night! We're going to the Glow with the Show Fantasmic at 11:30 pm on a Tuesday (school and work night) along with lots of other people willing to lose some sleep to see something they've seen hundreds, if not thousands of times with the exception of some scattered Mickey Ears that change colors for 18 minutes! So, it's not difficult for DL to get AP's to go along with their schedule especially when they're offering something "exclusively" for us. As far as the number of people, is it possible that they will have guests lined up all down Main Street as far back as the castle to watch/hear the procession come through? So that would allow for more people than what would only fit in front of the train station. I've only been to the CP twice and both times we had a dining package and reserved seats, so I'm not sure what goes on down Main Street for those who line up back there. I guess it will only be a matter of time before we find out!

---------- Post added 08-22-2012 at 11:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    I hope I'm not coming across as too negative here. I absolutely LOVE this show and I try and make it down every year now even though my groups are too busy to perform. It's a beautiful show with wonderful music that goes back...over 50 years? I would be devastated if Disney were to ever simply drop Candlelight from their lineup. But when I saw 20 nights of performances, I have to admit that my heart skipped a few beats. It will certainly be interesting to see how they pull this off.
    Not negative at all! I think everyone is concerned for the DL they love and wants to continue to have great experiences at the park especially during the holidays. I enjoy reading all the conversations that come across this board.

Yes, I agree that it's a huge undertaking for all the performers involved and is probably a huge committment. I would imagine it's already scheduled and groups are already in rehearsals. I could definitely see how it could be very overwhelming for all the musicians and choral groups for just a few nights of performances.

I'm actually looking forward to going this year. Just waiting for the announcement of when we can register. I like going to the AP only events as well since the crowds of people are usually friendlier and more "go with the flow." I too am curious to see how they will pull this off! We'll just get some hot chocolate, some freshly popped popcorn, and quite possibly some churros to keep us in a cheerful mood while we find us a good spot to wait once we get there!

• We Want The Redhead

Now Living in Eden Along The Lake Erie Shore In The Furthermost Reaches Of Western New York State

It gets mighty chilly and damp at midnight in December in Anaheim, even without rain. There are some mighty valuable instruments being used by that orchestra that would be put under serious stress in those conditions let alone almost impossible to keep tuned.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

• Under that tree again!

A few historic details.

Ceremony at 5:30 and 8pm. Processional from the back of the park at 5:15 and from the Red Wagon/First Aid at about 7:50. The processional times might be off but the difference in time is due to the long and short route. The whole Processianl is short in length compared to Soundsational which stretches across most of the park.

Railroad closes, I think Jungle Cruise does too, but not sure. Also Captain EO has been closed to use for the choir to rest between shows. All reopen about an hour after the second ceremony starts.

I once got to go back stage on the west to exit, Refreshment Corner to the gate by the firehouse. Not sure if that always happens.

Mainstreet traffic flow is counter clockwise. In the East Tunnel, down Main Street to the Plaza, and down Main Street out the West Tunnel.

Rain will cancel one or both runs.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Not negative at all! I think everyone is concerned for the DL they love and wants to continue to have great experiences at the park especially during the holidays. I enjoy reading all the conversations that come across this board.

Yes, I agree that it's a huge undertaking for all the performers involved and is probably a huge committment. I would imagine it's already scheduled and groups are already in rehearsals. I could definitely see how it could be very overwhelming for all the musicians and choral groups for just a few nights of performances.
    Speaking from past experience, I would highly doubt the audition tapes have been recorded yet. If they do what they have done in the past, the audition tapes would be due in late September/early October. (Most schools aren't back in session yet.) The directors meeting was usually in late October (After hours in the Plaza Inn when I was there, but rumors are that it used to be in the Golden Horseshoe) and the big, combined area rehearsal usually took place in November. As they will most likely be looking for a far greater number of choirs first, the first order of business would be for them to advertise in the choral journal as well as direct mailings to all high schools, colleges and churches in Southern California. As they are looking for so many more groups, they might purchase a mailing list of all 10,000 members of ACDA across the country and see if they can get groups to audition quickly. I haven't seen anything yet and if they wait until September to contact directors, it won't give them much time to get their audition tapes in. I just know it was a stretch to get 1000 choir members up there in shape with only TWO nights of performances back then. I wonder if they will cut the size of the overall choir every night in order to stretch the talent through 20 nights. Maybe only 300-500 a night instead of 1000? I'm just hoping that they have really thought this through all the way and that it's not a knee-jerk decision based off of what they are doing in WDW. Either way, I will definitely make it to at least one performance and might even make it to 3 or 4. But I'm crossing my fingers in the mean time.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    A few historic details.

Rain will cancel one or both runs.
    Very good point. With a higher number of nights comes the higher likelihood that the performance could get cancelled due to rain. I was there two years ago and all it took was for 3 or 4 drops to fall, and those instrumentalists were off of that stage before you knew what happened. Some of those violins and cellos are worth several thousand dollars and if they get caught in a storm, that instrument is toast. The brass players pretty much just sauntered off stage, but the strings picked up their music and RAN for cover. It won't matter if Disney wanted the show to go on at that point because that orchestra will simply stand up and leave. So....keep an eye on the weather and remember that there are no refunds. I think in the entire history of the event, it has only been cancelled 2 or 3 times due to rain, but with 20 performances in the month of December, the likelihood of a rainout just went through the roof.
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 08-22-2012 at 11:05 PM.

I just heard about this today and I can't imagine how it's possibly going to work. We went to the Candlelight Processional last year in December and we knew it was going to be crazy so we planned an entire day around it. Loved it but would never want to endure that craziness every single night of a trip. The viewing area is very small so it gets really competitive for a spot (we spent our whole day waiting on Main Street for just an okay standing view).

Main Street basically shuts down completely for the entire evening. That means no evening Christmas parade (which is so much better at night), no tree lighting ceremony, and no taking in the nighttime decorations, music, and snow on Main Street because you won't be able to get anywhere near that area without waiting for hours in one spot or being shuffled into the extremely crowded walkways of people trying to enter and exit the park. That's another problem - exiting and entering the park takes forever when this is going on (we had to stand at the entrance for 20 minutes in a crowd of people before we were allowed to move and after that it was another 20 minutes to make our way down the street). Accessing the stores for evening browsing is impossible. Lining up for fireworks, again, a disaster. I really think this will be terrible. I won't be planning anymore Disneyland in December trips if this continues because I wouldn't want to deal with this headache every night of my vacation.

• The one, the only...

I don't like the idea. Candellight at Disneyland was special BECAUSE it was only for two nights. When something is this frequent, it is no longer special. For out of town guests at WDW, Candellight is special, but for those at Epcot is it just another day. You can see it in the performers. They are just doing a job and the emotional connection is lost. At Disneyland, there was always a special electricity in the air.

Then there is the problems of truncating the parade so that fewer can see it. Also the loss of Main Street vehicles during that time, that always made a Christmas feeling to Main Street. Then there is the congestion of guests trying to leave the park while the performance is going on. All this degrades the holiday season at Disneyland. If they wanted to expand it, I think two weekends would have been enough. This plan is just overboard.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Remember the Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    For the uninitiated, here's what you can expect from each nightly performance if they leave it in Town Square...
    I don't buy that. It doesn't follow that twenty nights of shows would create the same per-performance demand as two.

---

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    I don't like the idea. Candellight at Disneyland was special BECAUSE it was only for two nights. ...
    Special to whom? The few that could be packed in to see it? Even if the performers tire of the schedule, the guest who sees only one of the 20 nights' shows will still think it's special.

Because of it's rarity, there are also plenty of guests who don't even know this event exists. So, this year's schedule could be targeted to increase guest exposure in preparation for future, shorter-scheduled years.

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    ... When something is this frequent, it is no longer special. ...
    Sounds like a pretty clear argument against being an AP.

But what about the fireworks and that pesky Fantasmic! show? They're still special because many, many people enjoy them no matter how many days in a row they play. This will be just one more seasonal perk.

---

One issue DL fan sites struggle with is in seeing things from the point of view of the infrequent park visitor. For these guests, the trip to DL itself is a special event and the extra availability of the processional is a great bonus. Disney should be supported in making it available to these guests over a longer period of time during the holiday season. Just because there are more performances doesn't necessarily mean it will be less "special" - just less "exclusive" or "elusive".

Regardless of one's reasons to avoid the processional, most guests (especially those who know the park well) have no problem finding things to do away from the Town Square or Main Street areas of the park. It's like what you would do to avoid Fantasmic! crowds, or fireworks crowds, or parade crowds...

There haven't been any convincing arguments posted yet that prove expansion of this event shouldn't be attempted, just a few valid points about operational planning.

Go Disney!

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by Magic1 View Post
    I don't buy that. It doesn't follow that twenty nights of shows would create the same per-performance demand as two.
    Sure it would. Look at how many people come to DL every night just to see Fantasmic and the fireworks. Those run what, 200 nights out of the year, and every performance is full. Then, since Candlelight's a limited run show, there will surely be the superfans. "OMG! OMG! OMG! I'm going to try and be there for every single show!"

Regardless of one's reasons to avoid the processional, most guests (especially those who know the park well) have no problem finding things to do away from the Town Square or Main Street areas of the park. It's like what you would do to avoid Fantasmic! crowds, or fireworks crowds, or parade crowds...
    Right, so let's add another big event in there to bollix up even more crowds for three weeks. Christmas used to be one of the less crowded holiday seasons at DL. But don't worry...they're taking care of that.

Actually, I think this is in preparation for making Christmas a separate ticket event like Halloween. Disney has found another way to sell one day's admission for the price of two.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• Disney friends are #1

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    Actually, I think this is in preparation for making Christmas a separate ticket event like Halloween. Disney has found another way to sell one day's admission for the price of two.
    I was thinking exactly the same thing! Give the general public a taste (Halloween Screams anyone?) then turn it into a premium experience where a separate ticket is required to see it. I get the feeling that Disney is gradually exploring every nook and cranny of the park to increase revenue ($40 increase ((now $109)) for the A Walk In Walt's Footsteps tour due to the inclusion of visiting Walt's firehouse apartment and the lobby of Club 33). The Club 33 lobby and Walt's apartment just weren't pulling their weight when it came to generating $$$. Gotta charge more to keep that lamp lit in Walt's window. Sadly, due to Disney's recent brazenness regarding their price increases, many may consider the symbolic light from that lamp to already be dark...or severely dimmed. It's all about money now.
    Last edited by Crazee4mm; 09-02-2012 at 07:37 PM.
    One Special Friend is All it Takes to Get You Through a Bad Day. And One Good One is Better Than a Dozen Casual Ones

Quote Originally Posted by Magic1 View Post
    One issue DL fan sites struggle with is in seeing things from the point of view of the infrequent park visitor. For these guests, the trip to DL itself is a special event and the extra availability of the processional is a great bonus. Disney should be supported in making it available to these guests over a longer period of time during the holiday season. Just because there are more performances doesn't necessarily mean it will be less "special" - just less "exclusive" or "elusive".

There haven't been any convincing arguments posted yet that prove expansion of this event shouldn't be attempted, just a few valid points about operational planning.

Go Disney!
    I disagree. My family only goes to Disneyland once a year because we don't live nearby. We have been to the park at every season except Christmas, and this year we decided to come in December. We spent a long time researching the least crowded time so that we could enjoy the Christmas decorations and also have shorter lines to deal with. I'm disappointed that every day of our trip (Dec 4-7) will have a CP which will increase the crowd levels (at least around Main St). It does seem like a way to keep charging guests more and more to just stay and enjoy the park for a day. A parkhopper doesn't do it anymore, and I'm disappointed about that. I really don't want to spend all four nights in DCA when the reason we booked that particular week was to experience the Christmas lights and fireworks and parade at Disneyland.

• Disney friends are #1

So, passholders get to register for free BUT if you're not a passholder, you have to purchase the meal package in order to get a seat?
    One Special Friend is All it Takes to Get You Through a Bad Day. And One Good One is Better Than a Dozen Casual Ones

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast