Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: Candlelight Processional showing on 20 nights this Holiday Season (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by Crazee4mm View Post
    I was thinking exactly the same thing! Give the general public a taste (Halloween Screams anyone?) then turn it into a premium experience where a separate ticket is required to see it. I get the feeling that Disney is gradually exploring every nook and cranny of the park to increase revenue ($40 increase ((now $109)) for the A Walk In Walt's Shoes tour due to the inclusion of visiting Walt's firehouse apartment and the lobby of Club 33). The Club 33 lobby and Walt's apartment just weren't pulling their weight when it came to generating $$$. Gotta charge more to keep that lamp lit in Walt's window. Sadly, due to Disney's recent brazenness regarding their price increases, many may consider the symbolic light from that lamp to already be dark...or severely dimmed. It's all about money now.
    Thats exactly what scared me when they first announced this. And I can see them heading down this path very easily. Now that DCA stands on its own, they can use Disneyland for the hard ticket, extra parties for the holidays. You've traveled 2000 miles to see Disneyland for Christmas? Don't have a ticket to the special party? To bad, go next door to DCA because Disneyland is now only for the ones who can pay extra.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazee4mm View Post
    So, passholders get to register for free BUT if you're not a passholder, you have to purchase the meal package in order to get a seat?
    Thats one of the many things they haven't been clear or specific on yet.

They very well might make this work. I'm skeptical, but I'll wait and see once all the details are released as to exactly what is going to take place and when to make a final judgement.

I haven't been to the park at Christmas time since 2009. I hate to think that that might of been my last time to go during the holidays.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Remember the Magic

Arrow Re: Candlelight Processional showing on 20 nights this Holiday Season (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    Sure it would. Look at how many people come to DL every night just to see Fantasmic and the fireworks.
    Just how many people come for just those events, really? If a significant number are all AP's then I'm betting that's one of the main reasons for the recent AP price increases.

Those run what, 200 nights out of the year, and every performance is full.
    Your argument can't be that because something's popular Disney shouldn't do it. People are willing to wait a couple of hours to see something they like forgoing the opportunity to stand in line for one (or more) of the other attractions in the park. Sounds like plain old choice to me. I tire of the crowds around parades, Fantasmic!, and the fireworks but I don't think they should get rid of those activities just because it inconveniences how I like to see the park.

Then, since Candlelight's a limited run show, there will surely be the superfans.
    And Candlelight wasn't limited already? Disney has every right to test the waters here. The sweet spot is at different places for different people. Two days a year is far too limited for many fans. And as for the superfans... Adding more performances should limit how much space will be taken up by superfans earning their almost-no-one-cares-that-they-attended-every-performance badge.

Right, so let's add another big event in there to bollix up even more crowds for three weeks. Christmas used to be one of the less crowded holiday seasons at DL.
    If the parks end up more crowded during a typically slower period, I'm not sure Disney will see this as a fail... unless the crowds are just another group of guests they don't make per-visit money from.

------

Quote Originally Posted by kaspangle View Post
    My family only goes to Disneyland once a year because we don't live nearby. We have been to the park at every season except Christmas, and this year we decided to come in December. We spent a long time researching the least crowded time so that we could enjoy the Christmas decorations and also have shorter lines to deal with. I'm disappointed that every day of our trip (Dec 4-7) will have a CP which will increase the crowd levels (at least around Main St).
    I go once or twice a year too and that happens anyway. You show up and you didn't know it was Bats Day, or Gay Days, or some convention is in town, or some poorly advertised AP event or employee event or private event has an attraction/land locked up, or a refurbishment to your favorite ride popped up after you booked your trip. That kind of stuff happens when you travel anywhere. You can only rely on research and crowd level prediction so much. At least Disney is making clear announcements about this.

I really don't want to spend all four nights in DCA when the reason we booked that particular week was to experience the Christmas lights and fireworks and parade at Disneyland.
    How would the CP impact your nights at Disneyland so much so that you'd only spend time in DCA? If, as you say, you haven't been there at Christmas before I'm not sure you have the experience to claim that. Seems like you could easily attend those other events especially if you are there for four nights - even with bigger crowds than you expected. I've been there on very busy nights during the Christmas season and have seen those things without much trouble or planning. You might even catch a performance of the CP and enjoy that too.

To Quote "In Search of the Castaways":
    If there's a complication, enjoy it!
    You've got imagination, employ it!
    And you'll see roses in the snow,
    Joie de vivre will make them grow,
    Voila, that's life, enjoy it!

------

Honestly, I'm surprised at the vitriol for an event like this in Town Square. Maybe there's more going on there during the day that I'm missing out on. I attend the Flag Ceremony every once in a while, stop for the meet and greets and some of the street performances ... but what am I missing out on that draws people there for the rest of the day? I mean, the shops sell pretty much the same stuff all day long.

Twenty days seems like a lot to me and I'm unsure how they will be able to pull off so many performances relying on outside choirs and the like - BUT - I like Disney's willingness to try and share something that only a relatively few people have gotten to see in years past.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Magic1 View Post
    I don't buy that. It doesn't follow that twenty nights of shows would create the same per-performance demand as two.
    Each night might not be as crowded and unmanageable as the typical Candlelight performances, but if they continue to run the Candlelight Processional during that last heavy week before Christmas when more than half of the area schools are out, I honestly don't see how they will avoid gridlock for 8 nights in a row. The BIG Christmas crowds traditionally show up two weeks before Christmas and the week following. Note that Candlelight USED to take place before the epic Christmas Vacation crowds showed up.

Maybe Disney has this all under control, but for me, the evenings of Dec 14-20 will be good nights to avoid the park altogether. They will almost certainly have to open the backstage areas to help with traffic flow, but even then, traffic is choked off on both sides of town square. And people will STOP...no mater what the poor CMs tell them. Once enough people stop and try to look, no one will be moving anywhere...until that show is over. When you try that with a park that is at or near capacity, you're asking for a world of trouble.

• Remember the Magic

These are valid operational concerns. But gridlock at night isn't a new problem at the parks... especially around the Hub and at the Rivers of America.

TDA have a couple months to figure out the details and consider their options - options they probably didn't consider before because the event was practically an annual one-off which didn't have the potential to affect as many guests. It's quite possible TDA could fall flat on their faces too. A lot depends on guest reaction and which guests are able to go.

I'm looking forward to them giving it a try. It's so darn popular and many more people would get to enjoy that special magic at Christmastime.

I go once or twice a year too and that happens anyway. You show up and you didn't know it was Bats Day, or Gay Days, or some convention is in town, or some poorly advertised AP event or employee event or private event has an attraction/land locked up, or a refurbishment to your favorite ride popped up after you booked your trip. That kind of stuff happens when you travel anywhere. You can only rely on research and crowd level prediction so much. At least Disney is making clear announcements about this.

How would the CP impact your nights at Disneyland so much so that you'd only spend time in DCA? If, as you say, you haven't been there at Christmas before I'm not sure you have the experience to claim that. Seems like you could easily attend those other events especially if you are there for four nights - even with bigger crowds than you expected. I've been there on very busy nights during the Christmas season and have seen those things without much trouble or planning. You might even catch a performance of the CP and enjoy that too.
    I'm not trying to say that I can plan for every eventuality, and I don't have the experience to claim anything. The first week of December has been explained to me by many people as a quiet time to visit and enjoy the Christmas festivities at Disneyland, and I'm just not excited that things will be different this year. Of course the CP might be nice to see, and we might brave the crowds to see it one of the nights, but with my three-year-old in tow, it might not be worth that effort. Basically, since there isn't a lot of detailed information, my hope is that we will be able to enjoy the rest of Disneyland while the CP goes on (meaning that I hope we won't get kicked out of the park each evening if we aren't attending CP), and that my young kids won't suddenly need to leave to the hotel for whatever reason during the CP. Maybe we could leave via the monorail and walk through Downtown Disney if that happens.

• Embrace the kitsch!

Your argument can't be that because something's popular Disney shouldn't do it.
    Actually, yes. No daily activity should interfere w/ normal park operations. This is one of the most frequent criticisms leveled at Fantasmic. The one two punch of F! and the fireworks brings traffic on the west side and the hub to a grinding halt every night. It was much easier and less stressful when F! was a summer only activity and the fireworks could be viewed from anywhere in the park.

People are willing to wait a couple of hours to see something they like forgoing the opportunity to stand in line for one (or more) of the other attractions in the park. Sounds like plain old choice to me. I tire of the crowds around parades, Fantasmic!, and the fireworks but I don't think they should get rid of those activities just because it inconveniences how I like to see the park.
    G-d bless you. Personally, I don't think an activity should be harder to avoid than to take part in, and the F!/fireworks combination certainly qualifies. Add in Candlelight and you will have a 3 punch "TKO" that will effectively shut down DL after dark. Anyone trying to do anything other than F!/fireworks/Candle will simply have to go to DCA.

If the parks end up more crowded during a typically slower period, I'm not sure Disney will see this as a fail... unless the crowds are just another group of guests they don't make per-visit money from.
    Oh, I'm sure the suits are fully in touch w/ daily operations in the park and have planned for every eventuality.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

The first casualty of 20 nights of Candlelight... CM Holiday parties.

This year, instead of having private/closed parties for the cast members, CM's will be invited to join mix in days, where they will be able to come into the park with regular guests. CM's will get a longer period of time, some free popcorn and coupons for some discounts.

From what I've heard so far, CM's are not at all happy about this.

all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    Nor should they be. Employees bust their butts for the Company dealing with guests all day, and their "employee party" is reduced to the opportunity to hang out with guests again?

Another classless act from a corporation that increasingly demonstrates its disdain for its employees.

Every time a customer whips out his wallet and gives Disney another dollar, this is the kind of cheap, low-class behavior he's supporting. The way Disney says "Happy Holidays" to its employees is something every customer should be keenly aware of as they cough up cash to the current landlords of Disneyland.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 09-07-2012 at 05:27 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Sock Puppet

This year, instead of having private/closed parties for the cast members, CM's will be invited to join mix in days, where they will be able to come into the park with regular guests. CM's will get a longer period of time, some free popcorn and coupons for some discounts.

Wow. That's really bad.

• Minion

Sounds like the Grad Nite experiment. I would be seriously ticked off if I were still a CM. The holiday parties were a nice recognition of a year of very hard work.

---------- Post added 09-07-2012 at 06:37 PM ----------

I'm not trying to say that I can plan for every eventuality, and I don't have the experience to claim anything. The first week of December has been explained to me by many people as a quiet time to visit and enjoy the Christmas festivities at Disneyland, and I'm just not excited that things will be different this year. Of course the CP might be nice to see, and we might brave the crowds to see it one of the nights, but with my three-year-old in tow, it might not be worth that effort. Basically, since there isn't a lot of detailed information, my hope is that we will be able to enjoy the rest of Disneyland while the CP goes on (meaning that I hope we won't get kicked out of the park each evening if we aren't attending CP), and that my young kids won't suddenly need to leave to the hotel for whatever reason during the CP. Maybe we could leave via the monorail and walk through Downtown Disney if that happens.
    Actually the CP has traditionally been held on the first weekend of December with 4 shows (two per night) and very packed crowds. So for that weekend, the experience will be the same as previous years. And I would anticipate fewer crowds for the CP on those days because there are so many other opportunities to see it.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Wow.

Disney keeps getting cheaper and cheaper by the minute.

• Under that tree again!

Is this specualtion or do you have proof of this being an official plan?

•   
    • So fetch

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    CMs found out today about the private parties being canceled today via a letter from George K. It's official.

• Senior Minion

Wait -- the Disney Corporation is packing 'em in with Carsland. They've jacked admission prices higher than ever. They're raking in money hand over fist. They pay their CMs fast food drive-thru wages. How can they possibly claim that real employee parties are too expensive? How can they possibly justify being so blatantly cheap?!

I tell ya, folks, every time I think I've seen every shortsighted, boneheaded move that these corporate suits are capable of, they turn around and pull an even more amazing stunt like this.

Can't wait to hear the Disney PR Brigade's self-justifying spin on this one, and see the Disney Social Media Group shills spreading it like rancid butter on every fan forum.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Nope. Not speculation. Its official. CM's have gotten a letter from the park stating such. This is the letter to CM's (via The Hub) that was sent out.

For this year’s Disney Family Holiday Celebration, we have decided to move to an all mix-in format with an expanded number of dates, including weekends, as well as deeper discounts for Cast. This change will enable us to accommodate our growing Cast population and allows more flexibility for you to enjoy the parks. The extended mix-in format will also allow you to customize your visits with friends and family, and the extended time period will enable you to visit the resort during slower periods.

This year there will also be exclusive discounts and special holiday offers such as complimentary popcorn and drinks for all Cast Members with the Disney Family Holiday Celebration discount booklet. Disney Family Holiday Celebration theme park admission tickets, ornaments and booklets will be available at TEAM Centers beginning in mid-October.
    This of course is only for CM's but since I'm not a cast member....

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast