Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Candlelight Processional showing on 20 nights this Holiday Season (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by LuvsLilo View Post
    CMs found out today about the private parties being canceled today via a letter from George K. It's official.
    Funny how everyone gets gleemed eye after a big opening and act like everything is good in the world.. and they forget core concepts really have not changed. Then something like this comes back to smack some people back to reality.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Gotta love how George sends out these memos at the end of day Friday. He did this with the "CM's are blocked out for Summer" memo too.

I wanna like the guy, but not when he does this crap.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Wait -- the Disney Corporation is packing 'em in with Carsland. They've jacked admission prices higher than ever. They're raking in money hand over fist. They pay their CMs fast food drive-thru wages. How can they possibly claim that real employee parties are too expensive? How can they possibly justify being so blatantly cheap?!

I tell ya, folks, every time I think I've seen every shortsighted, boneheaded move that these corporate suits are capable of, they turn around and pull an even more amazing stunt like this. . .
    As a former (and possibly future) Disneyland cast member, I talk with current CMs pretty often, and many of them are intelligent and true believers in Walt Disney's vision. They are the ones most likely to be offended by this, if it is the loss of a special perk & and if it is replaced by something worse. I remember the nice cast party for the opening of the new Fantasyland in 1983, and how excited CMs were about that.

I don't know what exclusive cast holiday parties were like in recent years. The memo stated this:

"For this year’s Disney Family Holiday Celebration, we have decided to move to an all mix-in format with an expanded number of dates, including weekends, as well as deeper discounts for Cast. This change will enable us to accommodate our growing Cast population and allows more flexibility for you to enjoy the parks. The extended mix-in format will also allow you to customize your visits with friends and family, and the extended time period will enable you to visit the resort during slower periods.

This year there will also be exclusive discounts and special holiday offers such as complimentary popcorn and drinks for all Cast Members with the Disney Family Holiday Celebration discount booklet. Disney Family Holiday Celebration theme park admission tickets, ornaments and booklets will be available at TEAM Centers beginning in mid-October."
    This (above) actually doesn't sound so bad to me, but I'm interested in reading arguments both for and against the changes. What else is in the Disney Family Holiday Celebration booklet?

How about giving special holiday name tags to all CMs, along with giving CMs a choice (every year) of a commemorative red and/or green winter scarf, hat or T-shirt that says "Disneyland
    [not Disney Parks] Cast Member" with the year and Mickey and/or the Castle insignia? Getting one of these each year could be one of those special things, like memories of the cast canoe races, that CMs treasure in the future.

I hope George Kalogridis doesn't want to be categorized with Jay Rasulo, Paul Pressler, and Michael Eisner.
    (Eisner in the second half of his Disney run, that is.)
    Last edited by jcruise86; 09-08-2012 at 04:38 PM.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Funny how everyone gets gleemed eye after a big opening and act like everything is good in the world.. and they forget core concepts really have not changed. Then something like this comes back to smack some people back to reality.
    Bingo. Personally I keep hoping for the wind to change. For a while it seems like it might... then something like this comes along to change it back. The reality is that company policies change from the top downward and the core outward. And at Disney, the core policies have been unchanged for decades.

What Disney is doing with the employee Holiday Party is just another reminder -- like low pay, pathetic investment in training and BYO costume -- of how little they value not only their employees, but their employees' importance in their product.

And it's another reminder to every Disney customer that these are the policies you support every time you give Disney your money.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 09-08-2012 at 07:06 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    The first casualty of 20 nights of Candlelight... CM Holiday parties.

This year, instead of having private/closed parties for the cast members, CM's will be invited to join mix in days, where they will be able to come into the park with regular guests. CM's will get a longer period of time, some free popcorn and coupons for some discounts.

From what I've heard so far, CM's are not at all happy about this.
    "CM Mix In Days" = Code for "We took away your party but you still get popcorn."

Wow. Just....wow. I thought they were going to do SOMETHING to quell the nastiness that arose when they told their CMs to arrive an hour earlier without pay to park at the Pond, but it just keeps getting worse. They had a couple of nights set aside to actually thank their hard working cast members with the park all to themselves and their friends/family....and now....nothing. Again...it would be one thing if they were losing money left and right, but when profits are up with the obscene price hikes and now the $$$ that will presumably roll in with Candlelight Dinners...they can't "afford" the cast member party?

You just have to wonder who made this decision over there. Please tell me it wasn't George.

•   
    • Minion

You know, I just renewed my AP, and if I'd read this thread first...I might not have done.

Not giving the CMs a party is unconscionable. ONE NIGHT away from the guests. ONE NIGHT where they're made to feel as though Disney gives a d**n about them...and that was too hard this year?!

I'm honestly feeling sick for the employees.

• Insomniac

Freaking ridiculous... Whatever happened to the idea that "Human power is a companies greatest resource?" It seems like disney's view is that as long as we have "Magic" who cares what how our employees feel. 30 years ago wasn't TWDC used as the example of excellence in business and training? Now all my business professors mention Walt, but never corporate Disney of today. Shocking how far they have fallen.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    You know, I just renewed my AP, and if I'd read this thread first...I might not have done.

Not giving the CMs a party is unconscionable. ONE NIGHT away from the guests. ONE NIGHT where they're made to feel as though Disney gives a d**n about them...and that was too hard this year?!

I'm honestly feeling sick for the employees.
    As a form of protest you should demand a refund. Not that they'll do it but I totally see your point.

Each day Disney offers less and less and wants more and more in return. And don't think that canceling the Holiday parties won't effect CM morale, which will then trickle down to decreased guest satisfaction.

I already decided not to renew my pass when it comes due at the end of the year. The high prices compared to the experience actually offered just didn't justify the pricing to me. And this latest action by Disney only gives me more ambition not to renew when my AP comes due.

• Chief Troublemaker

This is just sad, but is typical of large corporations these days. Huge 'perks' for the 'people in the ivory tower' as we referred to our upper mgmt, and less & less for the people who actually do the work. Think about it; when was the last time anyone's company really put on a 'real' holiday party (not an 'office potluck' where the employees had to bring the food that mgmt then helped them eat)? There is just less & less showing of appreciation for employees, while the big bosses get huge bonuses because the shareholders get record dividends.

My former employer (HUGE outfit, will remain nameless) actually started referring to the staff (in memos and to our faces) as 'human capital'. Not employees, not staff, not even as 'you guys'. 'Human Capital'!!! Luckily, I was able to retire at 56 and got the heck out!!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Can't wait to hear the Disney PR Brigade's self-justifying spin on this one, and see the Disney Social Media Group shills spreading it like rancid butter on every fan forum.
    On this decision, I can't. This one hurts. I understand why it was done but it hurts.

The Family Holiday party was so much more than "a party". It was the night where Cast Members could let their Disney Look hair down. It was fun to ride an attraction in costume on a break or eat a discount churro while On Stage. It was also great seeing all of the managers and executives work as an hourly Cast Member operating attractions, selling hot dogs, or sweeping up trash. And it was the one time of the year when you could approach the CEO and take a picture with him.

The Family Holiday party helped create the sense of community among the Cast.

But nothing lasts forever and the mix in parties have been very popular with the Cast.

Before passing a final judgement on this decision, we need to see what comes in the holiday discount booklet. I hope whatever is in there softens the blow of taking away this decades old perk.

Global

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    well remember.. it's not one night. It's several (3? can't remember) because other CMs still have to work the park for the ones there for the party.

I'm sure it just boiled down to schedule.. and it's pathetic to see who took priority here
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

The CM parties are normally 2 nights in early December.

• Disney friends are #1

I hate that the CM exclusive parties have gone the way of WDW's. Just like at theaters, the popcorn and soda concessions cost practically nothing yet bring huge profits. For Disney to say that the cast members get free popcorn and sodas (with coupons!) is tantamount to slapping them in the face. "Here's a few crumbs...and not only that, they're the cheapest crumbs we could find, enjoy!". They should get trophys for what they do. I have seen so many of these cast members diffusing potentially explosive situations and handling staggering amounts of crowd traffic that I honestly feel bad for them. They do so much for so little. I thought that a CM exclusive Christmas Party would be the LEAST thing that coprorate could do for them. Sadly, they have found something lesser than least. Popcorn and sodas...WITH A COUPON! Incredible.

I await, with bated breath, the announcements of the corporate Christmas bonuses. Bet costs won't be cut there!
    One Special Friend is All it Takes to Get You Through a Bad Day. And One Good One is Better Than a Dozen Casual Ones

• Seeker of Fun

Don't these suits know that it's these amazing CM's who make the experience. I've never heard a story about some upper manager, but always someone in a store, sweeping, or running a attraction that helps make someones vacation special. What a joke.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Sock Puppet

This seems like it would be a good reason for Disneyland guests to boycott this year's Candlelight Processional. Maybe Disney would get the message.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast