Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

• 'member?

Talking over narrations on rides or pre-shows really gets under my skin. It tends to come mostly from people who are either unfamiliar with Disney or more often, English.

I've found that while this occurs with a fair amount of frequency at DL, it's much much worse at WDW, especially with tour groups from foreign countries. I don't think I'd go to a movie theater overseas and start chatting with my friend because I didn't speak the language - I don't understand why I need to hear loud conversations on the COP.

Interestingly, during my only visit to Tokyo DL (so far), I noticed that while the crowds could get manic - when a character appeared for a (cell phone) photo op, for example - the people waiting in queue for attractions tended to be respectful of one another. I'm sure that part of it has to do with the fact that pretty much everyone at the park spoke the same language. Also, people there seemed to really dress up to spend a day at the park, as if they were going to a nice restaurant or the theater - I'd love for that attitude to return to the parks in the US.

• Hooterville, USA

As a father of 3 girls, I would just like to add my $.02. As afar as spanking your child, that's your decision. My way was to take my child away from the crowd to make my point. It always worked. My wife who takes tickets at the main gate, once told me of a man who thought she was taking too long to admit his friends, rolled up his program and hit her in the back of the head! Had I seen that, he would have paid dearly for that. But like other have said, I always have a great time no matter what others are doing.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey
    You know what, I think people really under-estimate the amount of power Disneyland cast members and security have over them. People must think that just because this is the Happiest Place on Earth, they can get away with anything. Meanwhile, they really have to no idea how much they're being watched and how in a matter of minutes, they can be removed from the park for doing, stuff, to say the least. Am I wrong?
    Not wrong but not right- Cast member goto Disney University- very fun. Part of that training for all employees is how to deal with guests and how to come to expect poor behavior. Worse yet was how you come to understand that as a cast member you can loose your job for defending yourself.

There is very little room for explusion unless the activity you as guest partake in is illegal- drugs, public sexual activity, refusal to obey general smoking rules, supremly offensive behavior or physical violence. At that supremly offensive behavior might not even get a guest expelled.

This happened right in front of me ...

This older woman in a motorized wheel chair was heading out of the Hollywood Backlot and her family was ahead of her ... there were 3 teens that were heading to ToT and one of the teens had tunnel vision and did not see the woman and they collided and the wheelchair almost fell over ...

The teen kept saying she was sorry but the older lady kept telling her off using bad language ... this woman's family kept trying to move her along and the teen was about to cry ...

The older lady started to then tell off her family about coming to the park and then refused to use the wheelchair anymore and started booking it down the street and the family stood around the wheelchair not knowing what to do and the younger kid in the group had to drive the chair while they caught up to grandma ...

I was in shock during this whole time b/c I never have seen a person explode like that ... I think back now and laugh

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by AStarOnMars
    The older lady started to then tell off her family about coming to the park and then refused to use the wheelchair anymore and started booking it down the street and the family stood around the wheelchair not knowing what to do and the younger kid in the group had to drive the chair while they caught up to grandma ...

I was in shock during this whole time b/c I never have seen a person explode like that ... I think back now and laugh
    That is hillarious!! esp. the part about how the supposed wheel-chair proned person just got up and ran down the street in a huff! I can see it now because I have seen it before. Nice try wheel chair lady, your family only brought you because you are their no-line ticket for all the rides. And then you treat them like this? Sad. But very funny!

Thumbs down

What bothers me is getting on the haunted mansion elevator and hearing some jackass quoting the narrator word for word so you can't hear anything! No one pays admission price for that! Another thing is people passing gas in enclosed areas of the park or in crowded walkways.
    Last edited by michael eisner; 03-19-2005 at 10:14 AM.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by michael eisner
    What bothers me is getting on the haunted mansion elevator and hearing some jackass quoting the narrator word for word so you can't hear anything! No one pays admission price for that! Another thing is people passing gass in enclosed areas of the park or in crowded walkways.
    Yeah, I hate it when people do that. I mean, I know what is being said, but I don't repeat it just out of courtesy for people who are on their first trip, or first time in the Mansion. It's rude and people really shouldn't do it. I wish Disney could somehow get guests to stop doing it....

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Saddlesore Swanson
    Intimidating and "fit" black men (as scary as Wesley Snipes? i know he's into martial arts and all, but come on), and loud, obnoxious boatloads of Latinos? Dangerous Asians running wild with no regard for the English language? Gay people loudly recounting their disgusting sexual exploits? Ummm. Alriiiiiiiighty. Forgive me for going somewhat off topic, but it's funny how ethnic/racial/sexual-orientation background often seems to creep into these reports of bad guest behavior... Oh, but they're not all like that, right?

And as for the Haunted Mansion say-along spiel... that's what's really gotten out of hand at DL ... look, we all know the words (except maybe those Japanese track stars), you ain't gotta prove it to show you're cool!
    Last edited by Saddlesore Swanson; 03-17-2005 at 03:49 PM.

• Minion

I agree that there really is no need to put a person's ethnic background in a story. That shows insight to who you really are!

I have a problem with couples. Not the normal couples who are enjoying time together... the couples who furiously make out in line, or engage in lewd acts in public. I know that the gay couples think that is unfair for straight couples to be able to make out and whatnot, but in actuality, I think it's disrespectful in general. It's great that you're in love, but remember that Disneyland is not your romantic personal fantasy getaway. It's a family related park...

• George Washington
    [QUOTE=Saddlesore Swanson]Dangerous Asians running wild with no regard for the English language? Gay people loudly recounting their disgusting sexual exploits? Ummm. Alriiiiiiiighty. Forgive me for going somewhat off topic, but it's funny how ethnic/racial/sexual-orientation background often seems to creep into these reports of bad guest behavior... Oh, but they're not all like that, right? QUOTE]

Classic, good stuff!

• șoș Tom șoș

See my biggest problem was always ankle biters- small children, freakishly small hands. As I would dash to Fantasmic for crowd control, as a reasonable pace, some little knee popping sononvagun would dash below my 6ft radar and in order to avoid the munshkin, I did a cartwheel into a bush by the entrance to Frontierland-

Dang kids, what do they think this is Chucky Cheese? Rats and mice are not the same(this is where my sarcasim button on my keyboard would be just lovely)

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    I agree that there really is no need to put a person's ethnic background in a story. That shows insight to who you really are!
    So call me a racist, then. If that's what you think of me, then have the guts to say it.

Strange how some have zeroed in on my mention that the man who confronted me happened to be Black, yet nary a mention of the Indian family standing behind me in line.

I'm latino as you could probably tell from my handle, yet I personally felt no need to cry foul at the comment of the "boatload of Latinos" or whatever.

Oh well, insight, shminsight.....I told a story on the topic at hand. Next time I'll be mindful of the PC police.

Yes, that above comment riled me.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Saddlesore Swanson
    Forgive me for going somewhat off topic, but it's funny how ethnic/racial/sexual-orientation background often seems to creep into these reports of bad guest behavior...
    I've checked the postings on this thread several times since starting it to see what others had written and was also surprised at how a few of the posters felt they had to spell out the ethnicity of the offending guest.

In my original post I deliberately didn't state the age or sex of the disruptive riders on POTC. Bad behavior and rudeness knows no boundaries when it comes to races, cultures or sex, although there are a few countries whose citizens feel that queues are something that don't apply to them.

• Disney worshipper/geek

Quote Originally Posted by fkurucz
    Just as there is more than one kind of white folk, there is more than one kind of hispanic/latino. Some are polite and educated while others are boors.
    I agree and I did not at all mean to imply that all Mexicans behave this way, but I have seen many do so. Maybe I notice because I am Mexican from a Latino neighborhood.

You Know, I'm sorry to say, as much as I do not want to bring ethnicity into certain things like this...it's just there. One may think that it's prejudice, but really it isn't. It is a reflection of their culture, to be honest. Some people are more focused on culture rather than manners. That is what it is. It's a reflection of the culture, not necessarily racism in any way. In defense, when behavior like that occurs, you may WANT to find something that stands out about that group to find an explanation. Race/ethnicity tends to be a bit more common. Teenagers too. It's not always jumping to conclusions or a falsity.
    Last edited by sorceress1986; 03-17-2005 at 04:58 PM.
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005

• Disney worshipper/geek

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas
    As a father of 3 girls, I would just like to add my $.02. As afar as spanking your child, that's your decision. My way was to take my child away from the crowd to make my point. It always worked. My wife who takes tickets at the main gate, once told me of a man who thought she was taking too long to admit his friends, rolled up his program and hit her in the back of the head! Had I seen that, he would have paid dearly for that. But like other have said, I always have a great time no matter what others are doing.
    Yes, I do not condone spanking as much as the threat. My mom has awlays been a good "threatener". She was also big on just taking me out if I misbehaved. If I could not behave, I could not participate. That simple. Whether it be Disneyland or a dinner at a restaurant.
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast