Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• -

Re: Changes to Luigi's Flying Tires

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    I don't see how removing the joystick and the Beach balls is an improvement. Twenty pounds will not yield a faster loading time. However, if it's not needed and it's adds no thematic value - why keep it?
    This is the quote of the day. I think that we would all be mad if we found out that they left this dead weight on the ride because they felt it was too expensive to remove. Better to just get rid of it.

On another note, that quote is also applicable to so many things.

Disney characters on Small World:
    However, if it's not needed and it's adds no thematic value - why keep it?
    Johnny Depp and Squid Face Dude on Pirates:
    Pirate elements on Tom Sawyer Island:
    British bear replacing American hill-billy bears in an American Wilderness:
    Futuristic exploration under the polar icecap replaced by a DVD of a cartoon fish:
    Did I mention that I love this quote?
    Last edited by calsig31; 08-16-2012 at 11:56 AM.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by CMinParadise View Post
    Except the joystick just wasn't effective. Riders fixated on it, when all it really accomplished was a very gradual spinning motion. There was nothing to figure out, except that it was better to just ignore the joystick.
    That's a much better explanation than what was given in the article.

I've noticed on the several times I've ridden that the important thing for a faster, smoother ride is to make sure you don't "bottom out" when leaning. After the first time that happens, you can easily notice the feel of the lead edge of the tire dragging if you've leaned too far. Controlling that with two people in the tire is the biggest learning curve I've experienced so far, and even that wasn't too bad.

Over all, I just found the ride a lot more fun than I thought it would be, but for me, a lot of that had to do with the balls (which I realize isn't the argument for this thread anyway).

• Minion

My experience with LFT is that the heavier the tire is, the more difficult it is to move, whether that be heavier passengers or a heavier start load. Kids tend to zip around like nobody's business, whereas two large adults have a difficult time. There is also a "sweet spot" in controlling the tire in which you lean just far enough but not too far to go. Finding that sweet spot between two passengers can be quite difficult--on your own? Fairly easy. Tipping too far slows you down or stops you. Bending over to pick up a beach ball usually corresponds with tipping too far, so you get a lot of people who aren't going anywhere, trapping other people. I think that both of these changes will result in easier to maneuver tires and a more satisfying ride.

Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.

Quote Originally Posted by OfficeDepot14 View Post
    Yes exactly, why remove 20 pounds from the tires when they're going to be sat on by a person 200+ pounds
    That is a 10% reduction based off 200 pounds. It is also possible that the bottoming out effect that slows down the tires and been experienced by many could be attributed to the joystick equipment that is being removed.

Since it was a fun ride at current speed, a 10-15% improvement in speed just makes it more enjoyable.

• Under that tree again!

20 lbs, a speculated amount of mass decreased would help. If you've ridden have you noticed tires that are a lot faster than others?

I have, but felt that I'm faster too. Since I have ridden a bunch of times I know how to work them and assume the other quick tires have the hang of it as well.

I did't see a correlation in lighter weight tires moving faster. Think of tires with two adults, versus a tires that is 50 or 100 pounds lighter with a kid and adult.

I think they should try smaller ,single rider tires, increase the number of them

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    This is the quote of the day. It is applicable to so many things.

Did I mention that I love this quote?
    While I agree on some of your choices - others not so much. But it's only because they are running fast and loose with the original theme. It could have thematic value - once they change the theme.

For example: Once they changed Tom Sawyer's Island to Pirate's Lair - The pirate elements fit.

I still don't see a thematic connection between tires or a tire shop, and beach balls and joysticks. That thematic jump is like having to cross a chasm in two leaps.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Insomniac

Removing 20lbs sounds minimal when it's holding 200+ pound riders, but the riders are not stagnant. The mass of the riders allows them to create momentum. If 20 pounds is removed from the tire itsself, that is less mass that riders have to overcome to get momentum started. This could significantly increase the speeds riders are able to reach. However, no matter how fast they get the tires moving, it still will only improve the ride so much. If they really want to improve the ride enjoyment, they need to increase capacity! The load process takes so long that it was 8-10 minutes between loadings the one time I rode it. That is ridiculous! How about fixing the loading process so that half the tires load while half the tires ride?
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

I'm sure that Disney is already working on an appropriate replacement for this attraction.

It's not a ride.......but my vote is for a Sci-Fi Drive-In.

• Sock Puppet

While I agree on some of your choices - others not so much. But it's only because they are running fast and loose with the original theme. It could have thematic value - once they change the theme.

For example: Once they changed Tom Sawyer's Island to Pirate's Lair - The pirate elements fit.
    I find it to be a rather uncomfortable fit.

• Disney Trivia Queen

When I went on this ride, my husband and I laughed harder than I think I have ever laughed on a Disney ride. The ride is what you make of it, we were trying to chase a beach ball and it kept rolling away from us. We were in hysterics, laughing by the time the ride was over. It was one of my favorite memories of that trip. I am really disappointed that they took the beach balls out... who cares if it added a little bit to the wait time, the wait time will gradually go down as people who go to the park a lot skip the ride, and the cast members get quicker at checking restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinglehopper View Post
    When I went on this ride, my husband and I laughed harder than I think I have ever laughed on a Disney ride. The ride is what you make of it, we were trying to chase a beach ball and it kept rolling away from us. We were in hysterics, laughing by the time the ride was over. It was one of my favorite memories of that trip. I am really disappointed that they took the beach balls out... who cares if it added a little bit to the wait time, the wait time will gradually go down as people who go to the park a lot skip the ride, and the cast members get quicker at checking restraints.
    This describes almost exactly the experience me and my son had on the ride. We laughed so dang hard, and it was all because we were trying to get a dang beach ball!

For some some great trip reports, features and reviews, please check out http://www.thedisneylandreport.com.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Fooferah View Post

The 20lbs removed from the mechanism doesn't sound like it's going to make a huge difference.

Didn't the "spinning" mechanism work by using air re-routed from the below to blast out through holes in the sides of the seat, a sort of jet propulsion?

If so, then removing the whole mechanism might do wonders as making the bottom of the tire uniformly flat might help with allowing it to coast around easier, as opposed to still letting air escape up through the "exhausts".

---------- Post added 08-21-2012 at 12:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    Removing 20lbs sounds minimal when it's holding 200+ pound riders, but the riders are not stagnant. The mass of the riders allows them to create momentum. If 20 pounds is removed from the tire itsself, that is less mass that riders have to overcome to get momentum started. This could significantly increase the speeds riders are able to reach. However, no matter how fast they get the tires moving, it still will only improve the ride so much. If they really want to improve the ride enjoyment, they need to increase capacity! The load process takes so long that it was 8-10 minutes between loadings the one time I rode it. That is ridiculous! How about fixing the loading process so that half the tires load while half the tires ride?
    The riders don't "create momentum" per se, but when you have riders "tilt" the tire slightly, it changes the aerodynamics of the bottom of the tire in that air pressure still pushes mostly "up" but also some force pushes the tire to the side, (as far as I can tell), and if there is 20 lbs less weight (which was probably distributed symmetrically), then a less weighty tire can be more easily tipped.

• Hello Dolly.

I just got my first and only ride last week and had a blast.
    I wasn't planning on playing with the balls much anyways if they did have it. It was fun trying to glide got pretty fast at times. Glad they are removing weight to further increase the speed.

People complain it's too slow, then when they do something to help out they say why bother?

I really see no problem with this attraction besides the wait. Mater's wasn't any more fun IMO it just seems praised more because of course you are going to enjoy these kind of rides with a shorter weight, which Mater's seems to have more often. I wouldn't enjoy Luigi's as much if I had to wait long as well, but I had a good time on it.

I LOVE this ride as-is. I just wish it wasn't so popular and thus had shorter lines.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12