• Minion

Fantillusion In Anaheim

My question is simple: Why hasn't anyone considered bringing Fantillusion stateside? I've never heard a fan clamor to have it in Disneyland but people seem to always love the idea of having Spectro Magic in Anaheim. So what's the story?

• The doctor is in

Re: Fantillusion In Anaheim

I don't know why Disney is keeping the electrical parades from being in the US. My mom always tells me the story of when I was in a stroller and kept falling asleep during the electrical parade at Disneyland so the only thing I really know about it is that it existed. I have no memory of it. I think it would be a cool thing to bring back.

• Under that tree again!

Often talk comes up about bringing the (Mainstreet) Electrical Parade back from Florida.

No reason to bring Fantillussion to DLR when there are two night parades with one sitting idle in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir.Mouse View Post
    My question is simple: Why hasn't anyone considered bringing Fantillusion stateside? I've never heard a fan clamor to have it in Disneyland but people seem to always love the idea of having Spectro Magic in Anaheim. So what's the story?
    Fantillusion was TDL's Fantasmic. They wanted it but in parade form. Hence the similarities in the name. It would be redundant to have both in the same resort.

• Minion

Well Disneyland could always change the name for it's state side run. And Disneyland could even select specific floats to leave behind to avoid redundancy. But I guess my question was, why is it suggested that Spectro come to Disneyland instead of Fantallusion? What do the fans see in that parade.

Well Disneyland could always change the name for it's state side run. And Disneyland could even select specific floats to leave behind to avoid redundancy. But I guess my question was, why is it suggested that Spectro come to Disneyland instead of Fantallusion? What do the fans see in that parade.
    The theme in itself is redundant. Good vs evil, then finale. They were designed to be similar so it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have the two in the same resort by the nature of their shows. I'm personally not a fan of SpectroMagic but I also wouldn't want Fantillusion (not to mention DLP has butchered the show to a fraction of its former glory).

I think people forget that WDI Creative Entertainment is capable of creating new nighttime parades. They simply haven't been presented with the opportunity in over a decade.

• Koubu Pilot

They say the Spectromagic floats would be too big for Disneyland's parade route (since it was built for Magic Kingdom's wider paths). Could the size of Fantillusion's floats also be a problem in Anaheim?

•   

Could Fantillusion fit at DCA parade route?

Disneyland has the most narrow streets out of all the other Disney parks. Of course when the park was first built, it wasn't thought that the parades would be so elaborate as they are today. So this is why we don't see other parades coming here.... they simply do not fit. This is also why Disneyland has unique parades. The floats are custom built to the proper proportions of the streets and how far they are from guests lined on the sidewalks.

• Minion

I always wondered about Fantillusion VS Spectro Magic! Thanks guys! I only remeber reading about Fantillusion by way of researching Fantasmic when I was a teenager. You really don't hear that much about the show, I guess because it's really just a Tokyo/Paris thing.

On a side note: I just listened to the soundtrack online, IT'S AWESOME!

• Minion

My guess would be that most people don't know about it. I've never heard of it until this very thread, yet I've heard of Spectro Magic a number of times. Perhaps there might be more fan clamor if more people knew it existed.

• Minion

Time to post a youtube video!!
    Yea it's very similar to Spectro magic by design and scope. Based on youtube video's I would be more interested in see it than Spectro. Also, the music is SOOOOO much better than Spectro.

I posted a video from Tokyo just to give an idea of what it was like when it was still new. Reading the YT comments I found this:

TDL decided to finish showing Fantillusion! in 2001, due to multiple issues such as people camping out the 'best spots' for hours before the parade, high maintenance costs due to the bulbs constantly needing changing (dreamlights uses long lasting LED's), and basically it was a very complex parade using dated technology, that, as you can imagine, isn't the done thing in Japan :P SO, DLP saw it was up for grabs and decided to buy it. Well, some of it...
    Anyone think this would have made a cool halloween parade?

Its a spectacular parade. In my opinion it blows the standard Electrical Parade out of the water. I definitely think Dreamlights is superior but I would love to see this made with modern technology.

The unfortunate thing is, this parade is dead. Paris has killed it. There are now less than half the floats of the original parade. It now longer goes through all 3 show stops, and the costumes have been altered to be far less spectacular in transformation.

While the show was great, I don't think it has a place in Disneyland so long as Fantasmic is here. And I certainly wouldn't want the floats from Paris

• Minion

YIKES that's such a sad story, especially considering it seemed like such a great show, possibly the first to employ show stops, yet no one really knows it exists.

It's also very interesting to point out that Fantillusion was created in 1994 when HUGE nighttime spectacles seemed to be becoming a trend at Disneyland and beyond. With the success of Fantasmic! The park seemed poised for another technically advanced nighttime behemoth - Light Magic . It's fascinating to know that F! inspired both Fantillusion and Light Magic both parades having similar features and yet only one succeeding in it's execution.