Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shuttle from John Wayne to Disneyland Hotel - Keep missing I5?

I must be getting old. the last 2 times we drove to Disneyland, I got in the wrong lane, (one lane too far to the right we figure) and missed the I5, which apparently goes off to the left somewhere in Los Angeles. After driving around forever in some bad industrial part of LA trying to find I5 we all decided that we will never drive there again. I've been driving there for 30 years and to mess it up 2 trips in a row...well. Part me and part bad freeway signs?????

So when we fly to John Wayne, are there shuttles, probably part of whatever vacation package we buy) that will take us from the airport to our hotel and back again? I don't think the kids ever want to see me behind the wheel of a car in SoCal again.

thx - Craig

Re: Shuttle from John Wayne to Disneyland Hotel - Keep missing I5?

There are shuttle services. Look under the Public Transportation section of the linked web page, and select John Wayne Airport.

Transportation | Guest Services | Disneyland Resort

We have used the Official Disneyland Resort Express to and from the parks, and were satisfied with the service. We will be using it again next March.

http://graylineanaheim.com/shuttles.shtml

It is not free, but the cost was reasonable.

Brian
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    My Avatar: Duck vs. Monorail, Disneyland 3/18/11

There are shuttles, Super Shuttle is one of the larger ones, but I always have a bad experience with them.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Every trip we gone to Disneyland we have used Super Shuttle, they are not the nicest (in terms of saying hi, and such) but they are very efficient and quick to get you to your location. You can also book online ahead of your trip which is a big help!

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

Try researching the best options with Google. I found posts saying it would be cheaper and faster to take a taxi van if you have 5 or more people, about $32-38 each way and if you`re staying at one of the resort hotels , they give you a voucher for a discount on the return trip. Shuttles run about $10 per person and may have more than one stop on the way to the resort, plus have to schedule a pick up time. The taxi vans are waiting near the airport from what I read, no wait.

thx. I was thinking that Disney might be involved in having shuttles from the airport to their hotel properties, but it appears that is not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
    We have used the Official Disneyland Resort Express

Southern California Gray Line - Shuttle Service
    We've used the Disney Resort Express multiple times and it's always clean, comfy, and efficient. They operate from both John Wayne and LAX. They drive large tour-style busses, with the nice big windows -- a bonus when it comes to rounding the corner and getting that first view of the Matternorn. You're not squashed in like sardines, as you are in some of the van-style shuttles. You can book ahead (they offer discounts for pre-booking online). The drivers have always been very nice and helpful.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I have also used the Disney Resort Express. The experience/ride has always been a very pleasant one.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

And, at least earlier this year, the Disneyland Resort Express through Gray Line had a "family pass" that allowed up to five people for $100.00 round-trip. So if you have five, it's only $20 per person; if you have four, it's $25 per person, so still less than the normal $32 round trip ticket.

Call them to inquire about it if you can't find it on the website. If you choose the family pass, know that you have to book it in advance. I would highly recommend Disneyland Resort Express in general, though. Always a pleasure with fun drivers, and it's by far the most "legitimate" way to get from either airport to the resort area. I wouldn't want to get into those cramped vans that drive around shouting through the window to solicit you to get on board... More hectic than its worth.
    I believe I chose the life of a tomb raider, because
    I'm addicted to the excitement that comes when life hangs in the balance.
    Famous last words.

Compare the prices, the wait time, and the travel time for the SuperShuttle, Disney Resort Express , and taxi van. A taxi van wouldn`t be anymore crowded than your car ride, with 5 people you may get it to yourselves.I would think it would be the fastest way there but I`ve never taken any of them. My family has taken the Express and the SuperShuttle, are going to try the taxi van the next time
    Last edited by Jerryp49; 08-18-2012 at 06:19 PM.

I've heard that the Disneyland Express is excellent when they're picking you up at the airport and dropping you off at your hotel, especially if you're staying on site, but I've heard some real horror stories about the return trip: Surly drivers in unmarked buses who show up late, park at the wrong hotel, make you late for your flight, etc.

I was just researching this the other day. I've used PrimeTime Shuttle, SuperShuttle and the Disneyland Resort Express numerous times. I've preferred the shuttle vans over the resort express (a large bus) simply due to the fact that the vans hold fewer people and typically make fewer stops. The Anaheim Visitor Center has links and discounts on their website. You can see them under the Deals and Discounts section at: www.anaheimoc.org

• Missing my AP

Had the same problem one time and wound up in Watts right after the riots. Never made that mistake again. My most stressful part of the trip used to be making that switch on I-5.
    "...It's dead wore out I be...a might too fast these light footed wenches be, for the likes of an old swagbellied pirate such as I..."

"*click-click-click-click-click-click-click.......sploosh!!*"(Sir Didymus)

• Banned User

I don't understand why it'd be so hard to get from John Wayne Airport to Disneyland. It's a fairly easy trek. You just take North Airport Way from the airport to the 55 Freeway Northbound, then merge onto I-5 North, then get off at Harbor Blvd.

I dunno, granted, I'm from there, so I know the territory well, but it's really not that hard to figure out on Google Maps. Even if I'd never been there before it doesn't look like it'd be THAT hard. Maybe a few missed turns here or there on the surface streets, depending on where I eventually want to end up, but the freeways look pretty easy to manage.

*shrug* Maybe I'm just a good driver/navigator.... I drove cross-country from California to Texas alone, in places I'd never been in before, and never got lost once. Guess I'm good at figuring out maps.

---------- Post added 08-18-2012 at 11:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SwankbelliedPirate View Post
    Had the same problem one time and wound up in Watts right after the riots.
    I got "lost" in Watts once (well, not really lost, we just missed the last train at the station and ended up having to call a taxi). I remember being all typically nervous, as the movies and the nightly news trained me to be, and nothing at all happened. Well, a guy did walk up to me and ask me the time. Yes, I acted all scared and nervous about that, too. Eventually realized just how bloomin' stupid it is to be all afraid to be in some location just because it has a lousy reputation. Nothing at all happened to me in Watts (and why should there have?). In fact, there was pretty much nobody around.

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    There are shuttles, Super Shuttle is one of the larger ones, but I always have a bad experience with them.
    I had a terrible experience with Super Shuttle in March. I added it to my 5-day vacation package and when we were headed back to Colorado I got a call confirming our shuttle was on the way but it never arrived. After waiting for almost an hour we had to go to the hotel front desk and have them call a taxi for us which was an additional $30. Right as our taxi pulled in the Super Shuttle arrived. The SS driver tried telling me that it was my fault for calling a taxi and not taking the shuttle despite their website saying if the Super Shuttle doesn't arrive within 15min of their confirmation call to make other transportation arrangements.

In other words, avoid Super Shuttle at all costs. They are horrible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast