Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

POTC hat guy is back & so are the low crowds!

We took a trip to the parks Sunday morning and the crowds were so low that the wait times on most rides was about 10min. at Disneyland.

We started at DCA when the park opened, got in line for RSR fastpass while my partner went for Starbucks. Here's the catch...if I have his AP card so I can get a FP for him, how do you get your discount with out the card? (By the way, I'm not that concerned over a discount on some coffee. Just making an observation).

The FP line was about 15min and our return time was 2:00. We decided to head over to Disney so we could get in all the big rides we wanted before it got busy. But in never got busy, on the rides that we went on that is, but lines for the "kids" rides looked low too. The Matterhorn was first and about a 5 min wait for the FL side. They were still testing the sleds on the otherside or doing the morning start up I guess. We passed by about a half hour later and the TL side was open with no wait and we rode that side too. We like the new sleds and fit fine. Other may not, that's another thread.

My new favorite ride and something I have not been on since I was a child, is the Storybook Cruise! If you have never been on it, and think it's just a kiddy ride, you are wrong. It has some of the most amazing topiaries anywhere. The level of detail and amont of care is astounding with some of the plants put there by Walt himself. If you're into gardening, you have to go for a cruise. the cute story the cast member tells is fun too.
    Name:  me-on-storybook.jpg
Views: 2494
Size:  65.8 KBName:  storybook.jpg
Views: 2492
Size:  64.0 KB

We thought Small World was closed because no one was there but 2 cast members at the front, but it was opened so we went for a private cruise. Next was Space Mountain. One of the rides I have NEVER liked. I get motion sick in the darkness and never feel good after, but my partner loves it. We went because the line was 10min and I have to say I'm starting to feel better about it, but not much! I needed a snack after that...
    Name:  corndog.jpg
Views: 2487
Size:  48.8 KB

We then did Indy with no wait (good thing they are closing it for rehab, it needs it!) Went on the Pirates with no wait and same for Haunted Mansion.

By the way...the guy with the hats balancing on the rowboat is back! He has been missing for months. He looks differant to me and does not seem to have as many hats though. Of course directly across from him, the guy in the pig pen was gone! Just pigs!

I went on Splash as a single rider because my partner dosen't want to get wet. I got the front! I got wet!
    Name:  me-on-splash.jpg
Views: 2494
Size:  31.5 KB

Next was BTMRR with a half empty train and us in the front. It's a differant ride without all the weight of the people in it.

It was time for some lunch so we thought we would try the new Carnation cafe. The wait was 15min because we wanted inside seating with the air conditioning, but it was Noon, so not bad. We had the potato soup, chicken spinich salad and shrimp ceasar. All excellent as was the service and it was very filling.
    Name:  carnation-cafe.jpg
Views: 2490
Size:  46.3 KB

A quick look at the castle display on then on to DCA for a few rides.
    Name:  castle-display.jpg
Views: 2489
Size:  46.8 KB
    We had about 90 min before we could use our RSR fast pass, so we went on Soaring with a short wait, Little Mermaid with no wait and then just did some shopping and checking out Buena Vista Street and the new areas. The RSR FP line was about a 20min wait. The trackters were tipping, but the white walls did not line up in the mirror, but my partner had not been on it yet so it was still fun. I really miss the waster mist at the end of the ride, but I guess it was hard to see thru the windows when wet.

Well, that was our trip. Since it was 90 and humid we called it a day. But the low crowds made it one of our best trips!

Re: POTC hat guy is back & so are the low crowds!

I was out and about at several of the San Diego tourist places on Sunday and the crowds were nowhere near as would be expected for August.

I sometimes wonder with many schools districts going year round, and some starting school in August now in parts of So. California, if the traditional summer vacation isn't there anymore that people go at other times of the year.

I know people are traveling and taking trips because the airport stats show increases in passengers, so leads me to believe locals are not going to these places as they may once have because of schools not having a traditional summer in many places.

• Goofy

nice trip report thanks.

yeah i think its definitely the school sitch. i think most schools around LA are already back!

looks like you had lots of fun though! great TR.

• i believe in faeries.

YAY! i love trip reports!!! thanks for sharing

• Mischievous Mouse

nice report!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

as soon as I read "hat guy" in the thread title, i instantly knew who you were talking about.

... i think i go a little bit too much.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Thanks for the trip report!

Here in southern Arizona the kids have been back in school for almost 3 weeks now.

• formerly very helpful

Great trip report.
    Great news about Hat Guy. It's reassuring that these touches are coming back, and that Disney is seeming to put the tlc back into some of these attractions.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Good Trip report....good to hear the crowds are low....I'm going this week so maybe we'll get on Racers

Glad to see the hat pirate back. He was always my favorite

Disneyland - 1982 to Present
    Walt Disney World - 1996, 2011
    Tokyo Disney Resort - 2013
    Hong Kong Disneyland - 2013

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Glad to hear he is back! I've looked for him for quite a while. Took a pic a few years back. I know....

Name:  DL_Pirates_Hats.jpg
Views: 1709
Size:  74.6 KB

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• Loves Disney

he is back but with less hats if anyone noticed, I think he only has one hat on now

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

really? just one hat? this i gotta see. Doesn't really make him the hat guy if its just one hat now. bummer.

Yah, I wasn't sure, but I think he has just one hat now, and dressed differant. Funny, the "Hat Guy" is now the "Rowboat Balance Guy"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast