Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Disneyland Man

Re: New Marina Tower Early 70's

Grooveadelic. Even a peek at the fabulous water features. Thanx.

---------- Post added 08-21-2012 at 02:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Werner View Post
    Wow! Wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing these, OldHotelGuy. I'm curious about that indoor-outdoor pool.
    It was SO cool! A tiled pond of various rectangles shapes flowed through this lobby, under the glass walls, to the outside and more fountain/pond on the marina side of the building. It all matched the shallow blue moat which once surrounded the original Sierra tower(s).
    I think we even see that there was a waterfall version at the entrance (where an animated map of Disneyland is today) with those circles at differing heights, possibly dripping water.

Also just noticed that in the second photo of this post, some velvet ropes and potted plants are keeping guests away from the edge of the fountain/pond.
    Last edited by waltopia; 08-21-2012 at 01:08 PM.

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    - - Walt Disney

• Monorail Junkie

I do remember the hotel that way. My mom to to travel to hospital volenteer conventions and we would stay there. I love the pictures. Thank you very much

• formerly very helpful

Strange. It doesn't really seem all that long ago!

• Indiana Scott

Great post. I really appreciate the passion some folks have for individual facets of DL like the hotels.

I was in love with that lobby, especially the carpeting on the floors in the giant lounge area. I thought it was perfect for Disney.

The textile art on the walls was my favorite--they were impressionist depictions of various California landscapes woven with a lot of depth. I'm so thrilled to see pictures of them again--I really miss them. Any information on the artist who created the textile works?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Those colors are wild, haah I love it. I want a living room in those bold bright colors.

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

• Bring back the Keelboats!

My husband was part of the building team. He worked on the layout and framing of the walls, elevator shafts, inside sheetrock, and the balconies of every hotel room.

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Fantastic pictures. While I realize it wouldn't work today, it really was lovely how plussed up and elaborate even 70's decor could be. Look at today's refined, clean lines with almost no embellishments and I feel we've regressed.

I used to love hanging out in that sunken lobby area.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
    My husband was part of the building team. He worked on the layout and framing of the walls, elevator shafts, inside sheetrock, and the balconies of every hotel room.
    Your husband wouldn't have any pictures of his work would he? If so, would love to see them.

---------- Post added 08-22-2012 at 12:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalMousekteer View Post
    I was in love with that lobby, especially the carpeting on the floors in the giant lounge area. I thought it was perfect for Disney.

The textile art on the walls was my favorite--they were impressionist depictions of various California landscapes woven with a lot of depth. I'm so thrilled to see pictures of them again--I really miss them. Any information on the artist who created the textile works?
    I have several swatches signed by the artist. Let me get the details a bit later today. They are in framed sample pieces with vivid colors. Pretty neat!!

Need. That. Furniture. Then I can create my Don Draper man-cave. Screams late 60s...

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalMousekteer View Post

• sleepy lagoon

Pretty darn cool!!

And who doesn't love wall art that is touchably soft?

Yeah, that's right. No one.

Lol.

Here is a unique picture, sadly in poor shape. Nevertheless, you get the idea of the work in progress on the Marina Tower from the perspective of the middle of the new Marina itself. This photograph is dated October, 1969, just about two months before this building would officially be opened to the public.

---------- Post added 08-22-2012 at 02:34 PM ----------

Here are some very rare and very early renderings (from 1967) showing proposals for the new Tower building and ideas for the Marina. One of the first renderings shows golfing facilities rather than a Marina. This was to be a miniature golf course.

---------- Post added 08-22-2012 at 02:35 PM ----------

Next we have a rendering with a Marina in place which we all know, eventually won out.

---------- Post added 08-22-2012 at 02:38 PM ----------

Last rendering is showing the front of the Marina Tower and is also from 1967. This has to be right at the very beginning of the discussions on the next Tower building. The project to build the Marina Tower as well as several other building projects like the new convention facilities was first disclosed to the public in mid-1968.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

I love it !

My first trip ever to Disneyland (79') included a stay in that tower
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Colorful!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast