Disneyland Books

Hello all!

I have just ordered the following books on line,

101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland - By Kevin Yee

Magic Quizdom - By Kevin Yee

Mouse Tales - By David Koenig

More Mouse Tales - By David Koenig and

Disneyland Detective - By Kandra Trahan

Has anyone read these or will I be sorry for all the money I just spent?

Also, has anyone read Window on Main Street - by Van Arsdale France?

This is now out of print and I saw a copy for $100.00. Should I buy it?
    What exactly is it about? I saw it mentioned in another book but can not find anything to say what it is about.

Thanks for your time and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Mellymouse

(do you think the Finding Nemo Subs line will be under 3 hours by then?)

• no flash photography...

Re: Disneyland Books

I read the 101 things...there were a couple of typos in it 9the kind that make me re-read it over again because it didn't make sense...LOL) and most of it I already knew...LOL

I enjoyed both mouse tales books.

I heard the disney detective is poorly written or alot of typos...I haven't read it, but it sounds interesting.

I have magic quizdom also...it's ok...I keep it in my desk at work to read when work is slow.

you'll enjoy the books...money spent on books is never wasted..

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Quote Originally Posted by MellyMouse
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland - By Kevin Yee

Magic Quizdom - By Kevin Yee
    I have both of Kevin's books and love them. Like stated by SCUBAbe a couple of typos and I knew most info, but in general I like Kevin and his writings so they are very enjoyable. Personally, I don't regret buying them. Plus, I wouldn't keep coming back to Miceage/Micechat if I didn't like their (Kevin/Al)
    style.

Mouse Tales - By David Koenig

More Mouse Tales - By David Koenig and
    Also have both of these and I liked them. I have read (although don't ask me exactly where) that they are embelished to some extent. However, I still liked them nonetheless and would still buy and read another edition if it were published.

Disneyland Detective - By Kandra Trahan
    Sorry, no input on this one, haven't read or seen.

When it comes to Disneyland trivia, I feel in some respects that it is pretty much cut and dry information. So a true DLR trivia book can't really delve into a what may have been. What I have a hard time reading are the politcal and thought books that are based on a personal belief about policy or what Walt would have done. Just read the board here and you'll have an understanding of the varied opinions and ideas of what people think should be or could be done.

I think you will enjoy you new books, and I hope you do. Happy readings to you.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

This is now out of print and I saw a copy for $100.00. Should I buy it?
    What exactly is it about? I saw it mentioned in another book but can not find anything to say what it is about.
    A fellow MiceChatter recently posted about the Window on Main Street book and said it was an exceptional read. I want to say that it was Lore who mentioned it, but I can't be certain. If I stumble across the post again, I'll let you know.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Small Projects Team

My mom actually helped him write it while she was a castmember at dl, I guess she did some editing anyway. I have the book, and two other drafts of it. It gives some good info about what it was like working at Disneyland, under Walt, the Anaheim site. A lot of it's a narrative from Van Ardale France's POV I guess, I haven't read much of it since I just found it in our garage a month ago. It's got great pictures of Walt, model buildings, construction, artwork, the early days at dl. It's 120 pages long.

As for paying $100 for it, couldn't tell you, I'm not sure how much it's worth, I know it's not in print anymore so it's most likely to go up in value. It depends on how big of a Disney fan you are and if you have the money to spare.

• D'LAND BIRTH YEAR BABY

I have all of Davids books , my daughters have read them also and I have found guest in my libary reading a chapter or two very good reads, Kevins books are on my need to get list( the Nickel Tour and Randy Brights Disneyland Inside Story won out) I have the Windows on Main Street and have not read it for years , I remember it being engrossing to read on my ride back from DL to the Bay Area several years ago...Just went and got it out and I am going to reread it. It must have been very good to keep me entertained in the car! Oh yea looking at the Story Guide its coming back to me but remember the Part Eight is the new era 1984 wow ...what a long trip its been!

• D'LAND BIRTH YEAR BABY

I had to go get out my Van Arsdale France Windows On Main Street book, it is wonderful first person narration from someone who had first hand knowledge of Walt and the beginnning of Disneyland. 119 plus pages of memories... ending with the " New Era of 1984" I highly recommend it , 100.00 for a soft cover I dont know, try a libary just to read it is a heartfelt joy.

• Head Salesman

If you want a little fiction, read "Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom" by Cory Doctorow. It's quite fun, and a unique look at WDW in a fictional future. I know this is a Disneyland forum, but it's worth mentioning here.

You can buy the book online (Amazon.com) or you can download it for free as one of many digital forms. Although, a bunch of stapled pages doesn't make a very nice book, it's cumbersome, and it would be an eyesore on your bookshelf. But still, a very nice read.

If you've read the book before, enjoyed it, and you're a Pirates of the Caribbean fan (or a pirate fan in general), have a gander at the pirate-speak version of the book. Corny.
    Last edited by Trader Sam; 01-06-2006 at 04:00 AM.
    Ask about my popular 2-for-1 sale!

Visit my site, the Disney Experience, for awesome Disney downloads. All are welcome!

• MiceAge Columnist

The world of self-publishing in 2005 is considerably more friendly than, say, 1985, with the result that I have been able to order small print runs and correct old information and fix typos with some regularity. There's a chance that whatever typos are referenced here have already been fixed in the edition I have now.

That said, I'm dying for feedback on weird sentences, garbled grammar, and actual misspelled words. Please PM me (or email me) with any specifics, those of you who have the book and noticed anything amiss. Your help is most welcome.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• All you need is LOVE

Kevin is great at what he does

• I am a Pluto lover

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee
    That said, I'm dying for feedback on weird sentences, garbled grammar, and actual misspelled words. Please PM me (or email me) with any specifics, those of you who have the book and noticed anything amiss. Your help is most welcome.

Once I get the books and read them I would love to tell you what I think.
    All the reviews I have read so far are all good ones, that is what lead me to order them. That and of course reading your work here.

Thanks everyone for the input so far. Im hoping the books help somewhat to curb my DL withdrawls as I can not get back there until June. And I love finding the little things I did not know. Last year was the first time I knew that the apple at Snow White's ride did something. and Ive been going to DL for years! Also, learning about the history of the changes and the ideas is amazing!

(Whoops! boss just came in and caught me, gotta stop babbleing! will respond more later! )

Thanks guys! I just love Micechat!
    Mellymouse

(do you think the Finding Nemo Subs line will be under 3 hours by then?)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I got the 101 things you did not know about Disneyland. I liked it, but wish it could have been longer. It is a fun book and gives you something else to look for next time you visit the park.

•   
    • debating what to put here

Just wanted to chime in and say that, while "Disneyland Detective" has some interesting material, it is very poorly written. I was able to find typos on almost every page and occasional sentences that made no sense whatsoever. It was pretty distracting.
    Last edited by Motorboat Cruiser; 01-06-2006 at 12:28 PM.
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

• Here to change the world

I just picked up a copy of Disneyland: The Nickel Tour on eBay this week. I love Disneyland books (especially hardcover ones) and have a little collection. The Nickel Tour book (although out of print and pretty pricey) is by far the best book on Disneyland I own. It is just under 400 pages, and goes into detail about every aspect of Disneyland there is. It's pretty amazing!!!

• Small Projects Team

My favorite Disney book is The Imagineering book, not the one they sell at the parks now, this one was actually written by the imagineers. It's kind of hard to find in stores though. It was released in 96. It's got pictures you'll never see anywhere else.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078...lance&n=283155

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast