Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Disney Magic is a Must

Sensory Delights: Favorite Sights, Sounds, Tastes, Scents, and Textures at Disneyland

Love is the poetry of the senses.
    -Honore de Blazac

I believe many memories are made of sensory experiences. They are what make memories rich and long-standing. So close your eyes and take a moment to immerse yourself into your memories of Disneyland. Describe what is delighting your senses.

What are your favorite sensory delights at Disneyland?

Favorite Sight:

Sound the warms your heart:

Taste that you can't leave Disneyland without:

Smell that you wish they would make into a candle so you could take it home:

Touch that reminds you of the park:

• Disney Magic is a Must

Re: Sensory Delights: Favorite Sights, Sounds, Tastes, Scents, and Textures at Disney

Favorite Sight:
    Name:  Disneyland_plaque.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  109.8 KB

-Thurl Ravenscroft's voice- Thurl Ravenscroft @ Haunted Mansion on Disneyland Inside Out - YouTube
    (::smile:: His voice IS Disneyland for me)
    -I also love Julie Andrew's voice in some of the parades and fireworks displays- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkY5ZwBnXI4
    -Who does the older voice in "Believe...In Holiday Magic?" I love that. I heard they changed it in 2007 though.

Can you believe that I haven't really associated any taste with Disneyland? However- this year I am definitely acquiring a corn dog! (I think I will actually be in California Adventure that day):
    Name:  Corn-Dog-Castle1.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  71.5 KB

I love the smell of the entrance of Pirates. Musty. (Not sure I want to make it into a candle though. )
    Name:  tumblr_lzcwjj1IkU1qb8tbp.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  86.7 KB

Is there a particular texture or touch that reminds me of Disneyland? Hm...Hard plastic. Most of the rides of pretty hard plastic seats.

• formerly very helpful

Re: Sensory Delights: Favorite Sights, Sounds, Tastes, Scents, and Textures at Disney

Wonderful idea for a thread!!

For me?

Favorite Sight: A guess it's that first perfect look at Main Street, right after I've gotten through the tunnels. I'm finally surrounded by it. I'm there!

Sound the warms your heart: That steam whistle from Frontierland. The Disneyland Railroad engine. These sounds just say "Disneyland" to me. When I hear them, it's like, "I arrived!"

Taste that you can't leave Disneyland without: A Disney burger, but it's best when eaten at Hungry Bear, overlooking the river.

Smell that you wish they would make into a candle so you could take it home: Entry to POTC for me. I've never smelled its identical anywhere else. Again, it's pure Disneyland.

Touch that reminds you of the park: Smooth, finished wood. It reminds me of the wood used in the structures and queue area in Fantasyland. I become very tactile while at Disneyland, and I find myself touching the lines, buildings, everything alot. I remember thinking "this wood should be rougher, but it isn't."

• Future Imagineer!!

Favorite sight:

Name:  imgres.jpeg
Views: 369
Size:  7.3 KB

Sound:

The opening into to Fantasmic!

Disneyland's Fantasmic (Intro) - YouTube

Tastes:

Mmmmmm...mmmmm.....CHURRO

Name:  imgres-1.jpeg
Views: 373
Size:  12.3 KB

Scents:

Like so many others before me I have to go with the smell of the musty water in Pirates of the Caribbean I have often said if they found a way to make that into a cologne I would buy it for my boyfriend for christmas every year so I could smell it and be super happy!

Name:  Disney-Pirates-of-the-Caribbean.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  64.1 KB

Texture:

The cold metal as you walk through the many turnstiles

Name:  374780944_nsif7-M.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  122.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Keeper of the Dynamite Goat on RCMC

Quote Originally Posted by lunarsongbird View Post

I love the smell of the entrance of Pirates. Musty. (Not sure I want to make it into a candle though. )
    Wow! I was going to say the same exact thing! EXACTLY, word for word!

Favorite sight:
    When you start walking down Main Street and you finally see the castle.

Sound:
    Main Street music. It's so cheery and welcoming.

Taste:
    Cream cheese pretzel or a pineapple dole whip.

Smell:
    Pirates of the Caribbean for sure.

Feel:
    The hand rails in the queues.

• Minion

Sight: the facade of the Haunted Mansion
    Sound: Mark Twain whistle
    Taste: butter popcorn mmmmm
    Smell: Churro scent
    Touch: the cave rocks on Indiana Jones Adventure

Am I weird for getting goosebumps (and a little teary-eyed) after reading everyone's responses? I can relate to all of these; how does Disneyland do it??

Favorite Sight: I would have to say that it's either right after you get through the main gate with the view of the train station and the Mickey-shaped flower arrangements, or right after you walk through the arch. It's like your trip is finally official and after all the waiting and anticipation, you're there and you have countless amounts of things to look forward to.

Sound that warms your heart: The music for the holiday fireworks gets me. Every. Single. Time. I think it's the combination of Christmas music mixed with being with people I love in a place that holds so many memories. Last time I was able to see this show there was a child's voice at the end that said something along the lines of "When you believe..." and I pretty much lost it. Embarrassing, but I probably wasn't the only one. Not sure if this one counts but when they used to play "California Girls" near the fountain in California Adventure... whenever I think about the park that's the first sound that pops up in my head. I'm not sure why that has always stuck with me through the years.

Taste that you can't leave Disneyland without: Caramel apples from the candy store on Main Street. They aren't an option... Must leave with one every single night of my stay.

Smell that you wish they would make into a candle so you could take it home
    : If I had to turn it into a candle, I'd say Main Street. But the smell that I hold near and dear is oddly either from Pirates or Splash Mountain. They smell very similar, but if I had a blindfold and earplugs and was asked to differentiate between the two based on smell I could definitely tell which was which. Does anyone else find the smell of the old, musty water comforting?

The rope in the Indiana Jones queue. I have to pull it every single time. Also, the rocks that make up the queue on Thunder Mountain.

Great idea for a thread and interesting answers! Can't wait to read more

• Senior Minion

Sight - The look of wonder and joy on my son's (or any child's) face
    Sound - Any of the ambiant music but especially Main Street
    Smell - Popcorn/cookies/candies - what I call the 'Disneyland Smell'
    Taste - Has to be the CHURRO!
    Touch - A hug from a character!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

Favorite Sight: Coming out from the tunnel under Main Street Station and seeing Main Street and Sleeping Beauty Castle.

Sound the warms your heart: The "Brrrriiinggg" that sounds when they scan your ticket/Big Thunder Mountain train noise/Star Tours chime.

Taste that you can't leave Disneyland without: Nothing really in particular.

Smell that you wish they would make into a candle so you could take it home: The Monorail cabin. Also the new paint smell of Radiator Springs Racers (not Ramone's Paint Shop, just the ride smells kind of like fresh paint!).

Not really a touch but whenever I'm in the car and sometimes turn while accelerating it always reminds me of the first jolt on Indiana Jones.

• Disney/Anime/Furry Fan

Favorite Sight: Walking down Main Street USA and see Sleeping Beauty Castle, it never gets old! Get to Adventureland and see the hidden and obscure Temple of the Forbidden Eye!

Sound that warms your heart: The ghost host of the Haunted Mansion voiced by the famous Paul Frees! It's a small world Central America and South America scene with the fascinating background music that never gets tiring and of course the children singing in Spanish. The generator sound at IJA and the old 1930's radio. POTC battle scene with the sounds of the cannons and water splashing along with the shouts of the Spanish against the Wicked Wench. The arrival of the steam-powered trains coming to each station with the announcer.

Taste that you can't leave Disneyland without: Air-popped butter popcorn on the streets of Main Street USA, they taste better than other brands found in your local market. Churros dipped with chocolate sauce! Sweet savory pleasure! I don't know maybe Steak Gumbo on a bread bowl? Oh yeah, don't forget the delicious corn dogs at DCA!

Hmmm....this is a pretty tricky one. IJA has that gasoline and smoke smell, nope. IASW has the sparkles toy plastic smell, maybe not. POTC is one of my favs, but not good for a candle. In fact, I wanted the sweet smell of Disney cookies and pastries scent to be made into a candle!

The Indiana Jones Adventure rough and temple textures found on the ground and the walls inside the forbidden temple. The new Matterhorn's color scheme and the wonderful architecture of Fantasyland's buildings as well as the ground of Fantasyland's bricked floor.
    Last edited by LangenFox; 08-23-2012 at 12:13 PM.

• Foolish Mortal

Favorite Sight:
    Name:  indy.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  183.2 KB

Name:  disneyland-railroads.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  57.7 KB
    The sound of the train rolling in

Name:  gumbo.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  184.9 KB
    Gumbo! Even looking at this picture makes my mouth water.

Name:  water.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  247.1 KB
    The smell of the water in POTC!
    It was between this smell or the dead air from the Haunted Mansion.

The bamboo pole in Indiana Jones that makes the ceiling come down.

"So make the best of this test and don't ask why. It's not a question but a lesson learned in time."- Green Day
    "The harder you work, the luckier you get."- Billie Joe Armstrong
    "This is my rage. This is my love. This is my town. This is my city. This is my life."

• Disney Magic is a Must

Thank you so much for participating in this thread, everyone! It's really special and I will try to remember to savor all those sensory experiences while I am there! I love the idea of seeing how other people experience Disneyland- all slightly different- all wonderful.

chaelxo- I totally cry during the "Believe...Holiday" stuff...I LOVE it...hardcore. EVERYTHING I love...all in one. My family, future husband, Christmas, Disneyland. I just do not know how it could get ANY better.

---------- Post added 08-23-2012 at 02:25 PM ----------

(Also- How do I make my pictures smaller? Is there a setting that I can adjust?)

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Sensory Delights: Favorite Sights, Sounds, Tastes, Scents, and Textures at Disney

What are your favorite sensory delights at Disneyland?

Favorite Sight:
    Name:  Haunted Mansion.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  170.4 KB
    Haunted Mansion (without a line! ). Just saying those words fills my heart with glee. When I was young, it was the one ride I was quite afraid of. Now it is my favorite ride in the park.

The music playing in the Esplanade. Means that I am just a few lovely steps away from one of my favorite places in California.

Name:  DLR Toffee.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  9.3 KB
    I am madly in love with Disneyland English Toffee and I can never leave the park wihtout picking up a package to take home. Perfect during the drive home or on the plane with a coffee.

Name:  DLR Cotton Candy.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  124.1 KB
    I don't know what it is about Disneyland Cotton Candy, but the smell of it in The Park beats every other cotton candy smell out there. <3

Ok, so this may sound odd, but every time I sit on a hard plastic seat, it reminds me of the Pirates of the Caribbean. Which is good, cause most of the time hard plastic seats are not fun.
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

• Chief Troublemaker

This isn't as easy as it seems on the surface. How do you pick just one 'favorite'?

Favorite Sight: The Castle as you walk up Main Street, especially the way you can see the Carousel through the entryway to Fantasyland.

Sound the warms your heart: The music on King Arthur's Carousel. I just LOVE Carousel music Also, even though it makes me kinda sad, the 'Wish Upon a Star' that's played as the park closes (do they still play that?). Ok Ok, one more: "Come on Everybody, here we goooo!"

Taste that you can't leave Disneyland without: Still working on this one. Since I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease, I'm having to find 'new favorites' & nothing's knocked my socks off so far. I'm praying for a Gluten Free Churro someday.

Smell that you wish they would make into a candle so you could take it home: Count me firmly in the POTC water camp. Again, not sure I'd want that in a candle.

Touch that reminds you of the park: The feel of hugs. Lots and lots of hugs. Character hugs, my kids' hugs, and most especially, those of my DH if we ever happen to be in the back of the boat where no one can see! LOL
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast