Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Disneyland ticket prices? Really?

Just to chime in. The Median family income in America is 51K. It amazes me that there is enough of a market for a "high season" Disneyworld vacation for family of 4 at approaching 7-8K. Really the only way they are filling up the parks as much as they are. We are blessed to have an income significantly higher yet in budgeting this vacation I am still deeply questioning its "value" vs. other things (such a 5K into the Kids College fund and 2K for a trip to our local national park ;-) Maybe it is in the cards to just drive up to anahiem ;-)

•   
    • Banned User

-PROS-
    *Disney is quality, I get that.
    *Prices go up, I get that too.
    *DCA has recently plussed their content and whether one agrees with it or not, the increasing of a feature can justify a cost increase. I get that as well.

-CONS-
    *The recent increase seemed to be an abnormally sharp upturn versus prior increases ( since the 70's )
    *DL is typically pretty crowded anyways and a high price can be a filter to thin out the park's attendance making it more comfortable for the ones who are there. ( Just a theory ) Either way, I don't see that as making it a rich man's park. Like was previously stated in this thread, this park was built with the knowledge that the 1% doesn't typically "do" theme parks.

Honestly, I'd put up with the increase with a big smile on my face if it came with some assurances that the stroller mafia and fake disabled people were controlled a bit better. I have a legitimately disabled friend who visits the park and is pretty good at spotting the people who just rented a wheelchair and claimed injury. ( Often changing out which member of their group is the "injured" person throughout the day. ) I won't even get into the stroller BS. I'd like a bit more elbow room, the kind we had back in the day when kids old enough to walk actually WALKED; no six year olds in a stroller and no lazy parent using the stroller as a shopping cart.

• Doombuggy Rider

The cost of admission - along with the fact Disneyland has rides going down for maintenance - is the #1 reason I will not set foot @ the Disneyland Resort until their 60th Anniversary (2015). The worst experience was in October last year when Disneyland shut down Pirates of the Caribbean during its busiest Holiday event (what an ignorant decision, it was awful in New Orleans Square) and I decided not to visit again until Team Disney Anaheim got its crap together; which I guess they haven't, since Big Thunder Mountain and Indiana Jones are both down for extended maintenance & this means attending in October is going to suck this year! This is why I'll be @ Knotts Berry Farm & Universal Studios Hollywood for October Fun ...

Here's some questions -

What happened to Corporate Sponsorship?
    Wasn't it Corporate Sponsorship that financed new Rides and Attractions?
    Wasn't the fees collected from Corporate Sponsorship that financed the continuous maintenance of Rides and Attractions?
    Why is this expense being passed on to Park Guests?
    Ever feel like you're being cheated when asked to pay the full park admission when up to 1/3 of a Theme Park is shut down for maintenance?
    Why are "out-of-town" Park Guests (such as myself) not receiving on par discounts that So California Residents receive?

C J

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

I agree. We live in Seattle and we have bought passes for 18 years. Originally we could buy the S. CA pass but that ended after a couple of years. As many as 15 of our family have had passes over that time. We are very middle class (now feels "under" mid class) and we don't spend a lot, we don't go out to dinner, scrimp in many many ways and while we were there in May, the prices went up that week. We all already had passes yet to expire but it was a shock that our deluxe passes were going up $90! That was after a large jump of $50 the year before. I have written to them twice but they don't really care. We feel the same as those regulars that live in S. CA, that it was a HUGE kick in the face to loyal pass holders. We have older grandkids but four little ones that are 8, 6, 5, 3---and it's hard to have to pay that much for them too!
    We figured it out while we were there that in 2010 we paid over $3000 for passes and now it will be over $5000. Plus air and hotel of course!

None of us like price increases, and we all know Disney is a business, so let's get past that.

I understand there are cost increases. There are always cost increases. Of course, there are also sometimes cost decreases, but we don't hear as much about those.

The reality is that Disney bases their prices on what they think we will pay. That's why price increases at DLR and WDW are different. They base them on the demand at that resort and what they think they can get away with charging.

The whole thing about Disney becoming only for the super-rich is hyperbole, but the idea behind that concern is valid. By raising prices by more than incomes are rising, they are pricing some people out. Some may decrease spending in other areas to continue to afford Disney, but it is inevitable that some will have to bail.

It is impossible to continue that kind of strategy forever. Eventually, you reach a tipping point. If price increases continue to outpace household income increases, especially by the wide margin we have been seeing, the bubble will burst. The only question is how far Disney can go before they reach that point.

Of course, their goal will be to slow the price increases before that bubble bursts. Either way, when they can no longer get away with such large price increases, it won't be pretty. As long as they can acheive growth targets by simply raising prices, there isn't as much pressure elsewhere, like on costs, to contribute to that growth. But we've seen what happens when Disney can't raise prices (meaning, when demand falters, a la 9/11) and it gets real ugly real quick.

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    Yep, this ongoing notion that the prices "aren't fair" is ultimately pointless. Life isn't fair, and Disneyland prices will always reflect what generates maximum profit.

It also seems apparent that people are only concerned when the prices are getting too high for them personally.
    Yup. I have made mention of this too in other threads. It comes across as selfish, thus making all us MCers look bad.

Anyone who can afford to pay to be online, using a PC, etc. can afford $87 or $125 per year or maybe every two years. To me it seems the biggest cries for "highway robbery" are from those ppl who have had to limit their consumption of Disney Park Offerings. If someone was truly priced out of thge market, my heart goes out to them (seriously), b/c I know now that they have bigger problems finacially.

B/c of my personal situation/bad economies, I am going to the resort for several days as an alternative to another (more expensive) vacation. It is all relative. I would much prefer to go to Europe and then come back for a day or two at the resort, but since I cannot go to the city of light, several days at DLR will be a great vaykay and what better place for a bit of consolation since I cannot go to my first choice?!?!?!

I find it quite disheartening that too many MCers don't see the basic rules of economics *AND* some have a mine-mine-mine mentality. I didn't see these ppl posting this way when the last price hike happened. I understand venting w/ like minded ppl, I just don't get the selfish POV in some of these posts. And I *do* know the diff between venting posts and whining selfish posts.

---------- Post added 08-31-2012 at 04:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Second Star View Post
    Interesting side note: Disney does monitor these fan boards. I know this for sure because my blog logs show hits from inside Disney from another threads I've participated in. Well, I thought it was interesting.
    Interesting. I wonder what they think of when they see the above mentioned selfish/complaining posts?

---------- Post added 08-31-2012 at 05:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nanarobin View Post
    I agree. We live in Seattle and we have bought passes for 18 years. Originally we could buy the S. CA pass but that ended after a couple of years. As many as 15 of our family have had passes over that time. We are very middle class (now feels "under" mid class) and we don't spend a lot, we don't go out to dinner, scrimp in many many ways and while we were there in May, the prices went up that week. We all already had passes yet to expire but it was a shock that our deluxe passes were going up $90! That was after a large jump of $50 the year before. I have written to them twice but they don't really care. We feel the same as those regulars that live in S. CA, that it was a HUGE kick in the face to loyal pass holders. We have older grandkids but four little ones that are 8, 6, 5, 3---and it's hard to have to pay that much for them too!
    We figured it out while we were there that in 2010 we paid over $3000 for passes and now it will be over $5000. Plus air and hotel of course!
    I am so glad you posted this. THIS is a perfect example of venting (vs. selfish whining). This is a post I can respect.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

•   
    • Banned User

The most common things I've been hearing from all my DL friends down here in So-Cal are:

1) I'm not renewing my annual pass
    2) Knotts, Universal Studios and Magic Mountain are a better value for annual pass.

I know of three different couples who recently stopped their DL annual pass and went to one of the above theme parks for an annual pass instead, one of those couples got passes at both MM and USH. The moral of the story here is a free market economy is a great equalizer. If Disney thought this was going to boost anything for them, what they'll find is it's just driving customers to other parks instead. I get the feeling their fiscal plan revolved around what happens inside of their own 4 walls, it didn't take into account how those actions work outside that box in regards to driving people not just to simply not come, but to go somewhere else, somewhere owned by the competition.

• Just another Disney fan..

Lightbulb Re: Disneyland ticket prices? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    The moral of the story here is a free market economy is a great equalizer. If Disney thought this was going to boost anything for them, what they'll find is it's just driving cuPstomers to other parks instead. I get the feeling their fiscal plan revolved around what happens inside of their own 4 walls, it didn't take into account how those actions work outside that box in regards to driving people not just to simply not come, but to go somewhere else, somewhere owned by the competition.
    I predict DLR will have record attendance and record revenue for this fiscal year.

If a few tens of thousand APers don't renew and go to the competition it will not impact DLR at all fiscally. Part of the goals of the price increases IMO is to weed out those APers that don't spend money in the parks and for the most part just use the services they have access to with their AP. These people don't buy food, don't buy merchandise and don't stay at the resort hotels. If these types of APers were to move on, it would actually be a positive thing for DLR operationally and fiscally.

Probably a few thousand APers who do spend money at the resort when they visit will move on to the completion too. But the number of these type of APers is insignificant compared to the first type described above and will be more than sufficiently replaced by day Guests and new APers.

• Senior Minion

The most common things I've been hearing from all my DL friends down here in So-Cal are:

1) I'm not renewing my annual pass
    2) Knotts, Universal Studios and Magic Mountain are a better value for annual pass.
    Yep. The most common thing I hear from friends who were major DL fans for more than four decades is "Disneyland? You gotta be kidding." For those who knew it before it became a mosh pit for locals, the combination of rising prices and lowering quality of experience reached the tipping point several years ago. Not that the Disney Corp cares, of course -- for every legacy customer who leaves, there are ten locals to replace him (five with triple-wide strollers).

I get the feeling their fiscal plan revolved around what happens inside of their own 4 walls...
    No joke, Disney acts as if the whole world revolves around them. Within those 4 walls, the attitude of "We're Disney And You're Not" is so thick you can stand a shovel in it.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 08-31-2012 at 11:57 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roger55 View Post
    I predict DLR will have record attendance and record revenue for this fiscal year.

If a few tens of thousand APers don't renew and go to the competition it will not impact DLR at all fiscally. Part of the goals of the price increases IMO is to weed out those APers that don't spend money in the parks and for the most part just use the services they have access to with their AP. These people don't buy food, don't buy merchandise and don't stay at the resort hotels. If these types of APers were to move on, it would actually be a positive thing for DLR operationally and fiscally.

Probably a few thousand APers who do spend money at the resort when they visit will move on to the completion too. But the number of these type of APers is insignificant compared to the first type described above and will be more than sufficiently replaced by day Guests and new APers.
    Great one year they do well....and then we come to next year.....what new stuff is coming then? Ohh yeah a Princess Meet and Greet and a stage show....hmmmm yeah that will draw people to come back for more money (yeah we know prices hikes are coming by next June)

I predict that these hikes will soon enough hurt Disney on there off years...and raise attendance to Six Flags, Knotts and Universal...

And Don't forget Universal has Potterland in a few years...what then when Universal is like 80 bucks for an AP...while Disney lowest will be 300? Disney fans and look there noises down at Universal but with Transformers and Potter and the rumored Despicable Me ride it's going to be hard to say that AP is not a better value then Disneyland when you get all these rides and for about the third of the price and can go all year

In Summary..enjoy Cars;and while you can but if you have no Big rides up in 3 years...get ready to lose many people to other parks when Disney tickets cost 20 bucks more then everyone else and Ap's are 3-7 times as much depending on if you want a higher AP or not

• Refugee from a island

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I predict that these hikes will soon enough hurt Disney on there off years...and raise attendance to Six Flags, Knotts and Universal...
    Interesting prediction... Interesting also, these kind of predictions have been around about Disney for, say, 75+ years... Maybe one day, maybe yours... will come true.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^hurt does not mean they close.....Disney hurt bad after (and even a little before) 9/11 and it was not just because of fear it was we had NOTHING new in the parks and the new things we did get were clones like Buzz and Pooh....and so what did they do to help get people back?

They had redo DCA...give out Free tickets to the parks for a year and even did the event (though more limited) the next year...and make a whole new land

While what Does Universal do to gain people...simple just add a new ride every year or two....and while Disney now thinks we'll we fixed DCA were down for 5 years...other parks keep growing. This is a new age people want NEW things and I just dont think a stage show is going to make people say sure I'll pay 150 more for an AP then I did last year...or 20 bucks more for a park hopper

• Senior Minion

Interesting prediction... Interesting also, these kind of predictions have been around about Disney for, say, 75+ years...
    Actually, more like 25+ years, since the advent of the Eisger regime and their soaring price increases.

Maybe one day, maybe yours... will come true.
    Doubtful. As the Disney Corp has proved for the last decade, its marketing machine is capable of packing the house with Disney lifestyle fans no matter the ticket price. And if that isn't enough to keep the bottom line fat and the bonuses bulging, management is more than capable of cutting hours and slashing services.

- Neil Gabler

• Refugee from a island

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Actually, more like 25+ years, since the advent of the Eisger regime and their soaring price increases.
    Actually, if you actually read about Disney's history, you'll discover that these predictions go back to when Snow White was in production.

• Senior Minion

Actually, if you actually read about Disney's history, you'll discover that these predictions go back to when Snow White was in production.
    Actually, if you actually really read about Disney's history, you'll discover those predictions had nothing to do with complaints about the price increases of Eisger's Wall Street-style Disney Corp, rather were predictions that "Disney's folly" (first Snow White, and later Disneyland) would fail.

But you needn't worry. Disney Corp isn't going to financially fail*, and they certainly aren't going to change the business playbook they've followed for the last five years.

*Creative failure, of course, is irrelevant: Disney Corp has an installed base of millions of lifestyle consumers and is training more every generation, for whom excellence in theme park innovation doesn't matter.

- Neil Gabler

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast