Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Refugee from a island

Re: Disneyland ticket prices? Really?

Yes, of course I've only read a couple of dozen books on Disney history, and must have read them all wrong... But, okay...

In order avoid having the Mods feel the need to come in, I will bow to your mastery of all that is Disney, and bow out.

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Folks, most of you already know this, but threads need to remain a discussion about the topic and not wander off to the land of personal asides, flights of fancy, and mocking others in the thread.

Please, get back on topic from this point on. If some of the other posters in this thread are driving you nuts, step away from the computer for a bit.
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

Ernest Thompson Seton

•   
    • Banned User

It looks like it was remaining a discussion to me. The only thing "driving me nuts" is posting my thoughts as they relate to this topic then having a mod hit me with a -1 point for trolling when I'm not. I liked this place and the commenters here up until that moment.

• Doombuggy Rider

I'm not being selfish (or whining) when admitting due to financial situations I won't be going to Disneyland this Fall for October Fun (I just stated some legit reasons, Disney Theme Park Fans in this forum can choose to agree - or not, & choosing to take Rides down for an extended makeover during a busy Fall season is just an ignorant plan that causes more irritating moments for Park Guests than I have the time to write about). I am an "out of towner" (Las Vegas) that Team Disney Anaheim isn't doing enough to sell the experience to (ie more discounts, more special deals, etc). It doesn't mean I'll never visit Disneyland again, it means I will save up and return for their 60th Anniversary (by 2015, I would hope both Disneyland & DCA will be operating @ 100% with no rides down for extended maintenance, and @ least 1 or 2 new E Ticket experiences) ....

I DO save money staying @ Courtyard Marriott Buena Park (best beds ever, $80 a night & no charge for parking daily makes a huge difference). The money I save goes towards dining inside the Theme Park, or, I'll choose to dine outside if I am sticking to a budget (I know this isn't just my choice, there are many who have done the same over the decades). I will always buy merchandise; yet not as much as I used to (my reasons? For many years you got quality merchandise that was just overpriced, so it was worth waiting for prices to drop & purchase later online or over the phone ... now you have cheaper merchandise, but the quality is so "hot topic" crap that it falls apart within a year and I won't waste my money on that); even though I swear Disneyland homemade fudge is the best investment ever ....

Team Disney Anaheim has done some great things, however they still need to do their work if they want to keep me from going to Knott's Berry Farm and Universal Studios Hollywood more often during a year (I am not the only "out of town" Park Guest who's had to choose visiting other Theme Parks for now). If you look @ Knott's, or Universal's, or Six Flags deals online? They're more affordable for those visiting form out of state (I will always agree that nobody themes like a Walt Disney Theme Park, but it means less visits to Disneyland if it takes years to save up to afford going - saavy?). If in all honestly, all that the Walt Disney Co cares about is only selling to those who can afford to stay & play & eat @ the Disneyland Resort, then Walt Disney must be spinning in his grave (last time I checked, that commemorate bronze sign quoting Walt Disney on opening day which you read upon entering Disneyland did not mention anything involving "this place is only for those who can pay for it" & I bet if you really did your homework? You would find that there were less cost increases passed onto Park Guests when there were Corporate Sponsors paying for Rides & Attractions - & last time I checked history, wasn't that how Disneyland was practically financed?) ....

The best deals the Walt Disney Co ever offered where -

1) get in free on your Birthday (I milked that one)
    2) do one day of charity, get a day at any Disney Theme Park (I milked that one, too)

Imagine if the Walt Disney Co kept these offers available (just cutting the price of admission from my budget would allow me to afford spending more within Disneyland and DCA & I could go every single year). Its on par with whenever Knott's, or Six Flags does a toy - food - clothing drive where a donation gets you into the theme park (has Disneyland ever done that? Not to my knowledge) ...

You know I missed getting a free meal on my birthday @ Denny's (& I know I am not the only one who misses this, too) -

C J

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    DL is not now and never will be for the super wealthy. The reason DCA flopped initially is that most of the 1% would never be caught dead in something so lowbrow as a theme park. DL is going after the lifestyle market, which crosses economic lines. They want people who self-identify as "Disney people" and go regardless of how much or little they get for their money.

In your case, they're hoping your thinking will run thus: Oh, well, even if we can only afford 4 days, we'll gladly spend that money because we just lurrrve Disney! Hey, while we're here, let's get AP's so we can come down more often and it'll be cheaper! Sure, we can't afford to do anything else all year now, but hey, MOAR DISNEY!!!!!11

I'm being sarcastic, of course, but that's the game Disney's been playing for years now. They either want all your money or none of it.
    Disneyland is already ONLY FOR THE SUPER WEALTHY!-No one of limited means can afford it, and I'm through trying! They finally suckered me into the annual pass two years ago, and we've been visiting four times a year since then from Sacramento. 3 nights hotel, gas there and back, overpriced meals, and of course the "gotta have it" collectibles. I'm back to once every 3 years or so with a 3 day hopper. It's not worth it anymore.

• Disney friends are #1

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I predict that these hikes will soon be enough to hurt Disney on there off years...and raise attendance to Six Flags, Knotts and Universal...

And Don't forget Universal has Potterland in a few years...what then when Universal is like 80 bucks for an AP...while Disney lowest will be 300? Disney fans and look down their noses at Universal but with Transformers and Potter and the rumored Despicable Me ride it's going to be hard to say that their AP is not a better value then Disneyland when you get all these rides and for about the third of the price and can go all year.
    I have made many trips to Disneyland in the past couple of months and the decreases in crowd levels is obvious. On the flip side, attendance at MM, Knott's, and Universal has exploded! On days that Disneyland was feeling almost empty, the other parks were to the point of parking their guests in the overflow parking lots. I too have many friends who have either let their passes lapse (and have picked up Knott's, Six Flags, & Universal passes instead) or are preparing to let them lapse. I seem to be the only one in my "group" who will be renewing his pass. I have a friend coming down from Canada on vacation who purchased a 6-day parkhopper online the day before the price increases and I will be using his ticket, on it's 6th. day of use, as a $269 credit toward the renewal of my PAP...just like we did last year. If I had to cover the entire $649, I wouldn't be renewing.

The passholders still stampede the park on evenings when fireworks & Fantasmic are offered but even those numbers have noticably dimished. I have been visiting DLR for decades and it's obvious that there are dramatically fewer guests. I wonder what kind of spin Disney is going to put on this.
    One Special Friend is All it Takes to Get You Through a Bad Day. And One Good One is Better Than a Dozen Casual Ones

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by Diznehound View Post
    Disneyland is already ONLY FOR THE SUPER WEALTHY!-No one of limited means can afford it, and I'm through trying! They finally suckered me into the annual pass two years ago, and we've been visiting four times a year since then from Sacramento. 3 nights hotel, gas there and back, overpriced meals, and of course the "gotta have it" collectibles. I'm back to once every 3 years or so with a 3 day hopper. It's not worth it anymore.
    sadly it is becoming of that slowly.

• Just another Disney fan..

Quote Originally Posted by Crazee4mm View Post
    The passholders still stampede the park on evenings when fireworks & Fantasmic are offered but even those numbers have noticably dimished. I have been visiting DLR for decades and it's obvious that there are dramatically fewer guests. I wonder what kind of spin Disney is going to put on this.
    Let's remember this and comment again once the attendance figures start to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by cpuJesse View Post
    ...I realize that Disney has a big bill to pay in the huge project in DCA... .
    I am not sure if this was mentioned, but DCA project's budget was likely already paid off, unless you mean with personal gain.

I should point out the following (before the people start: calling Disneyland greedy, demanding that Disneyland need another e-ticket, etc.) that Disneyland has to pay for electricity, plumbing, food, wages, gasoline, repair work, fireworks and other things for the resort have it running. The more resort expands, the cost is will go up. Inflation is another reason for higher prices. At the moment Disneyland resort excutives are not really caring about the cost. Why? The parks are one of the several highest attendence for theme parks. (Yes, I know DCA's isn't likely to have that much at the moment, but it still has a high attendence, #14 out of the top 25). If prices for the resort ever reach a point where they aren't making much revenue to break even or there is a significant drop in sales, then they will have to cut back and might drop prices.
    Last edited by Spongeocto4; 09-15-2012 at 05:14 PM. Reason: editing

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    DL is not now and never will be for the super wealthy. The reason DCA flopped initially is that most of the 1% would never be caught dead in something so lowbrow as a theme park. . .
    Watch the documentary "Born Rich" (for free via Hulu.com) and you will see future billionaires in their early 20s not only visiting a theme park, but (in one shot) waiting in a line with the bottom 99.99%. There's so much that we share. . .

• Doombuggy Rider

Inflation be damned!!

Prove to me that Corporate Sponsorship didn't help finance the cost of running Disneyland!!

Explain why passing on these expenses to Park Guests is a good idea when Corporate Sponsorship would ensure if there were any "increases in prices" it would not be so drastic (& almost every year since 2005)!!

Why isn't this topic being brought up @ D23 Conventions by Walt Disney Theme Park Fans? (Oh yeah, I forget - if you can afford to be a member of D23? Then finances probably are not an issue in your household)!!

C J

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Its all supply and demand. Even with the raised prices, Disneyland is very busy almost every day of the year. Why would they charge less?

• "What is thy bidding?"

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Its all supply and demand. Even with the raised prices, Disneyland is very busy almost every day of the year. Why would they charge less?
    Yepper, and prices will continue to go up as long as Disney can pack em in. The only way prices will ever come down is if there was a drastic long term decrease in park attendance. Or huge drop in inflation...That may never happen...Garsh darn it, the last time I visited DL, ticket prices were below $60 in the mid 90s. Many are voting with their dollars by not buying their APs, but the die hards and people that want to experience Disney parks will continue to sustain Disney's ability to slowly increase the price for the coveted "Disney" experience. I believe we will see $100 single day ticket prices in the near future.

• Functional & Decorative

In the classic words of Yogi Berra, "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234