Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• formerly very helpful

Re: A solo trip at Disneyland

I used to say I would NEVER do this. Then years ago I took a trip to WDW solo, since I couldn't find anyone to go with me. I was apprehensive, and worried that I'd be lonely and starved for conversation. However, it turned out to be the best vacation I've ever taken. I loved not asking anyone what they wanted to do next. It was just me, me, me, and it was alright.
    Now I love doing Disneyland solo, as well, but I can't do it anymore since my kids are old enough and would kill me if I went without them.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The only thing I don't like about a solo trip is the airplane ride. However, I have learned how to do that safely, and without mishap. Although I sometimes wish I wasn't on the plane by myself, in case something unusual happened.

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

It's so nice to wander The Parks solo; I've done it myself on numerous occasions. My favorite solo tradition is to grab a corn dog and cherry coke and sit down in a nice spot and people watch. Of course, there's always the Dole Whip and relaxing in the Tiki Room preshow area as well as a lovely bench and some popcorn by Haunted Mansion.

Solo trips are also a great time to ride my fave attractions over and over again. Silly, yes, but lots of fun for me! I think my limit was 7 times on Haunted Mansion- it was a super slow day.
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

Most of the time I go is by myself. If I have had a bad day at work I will go for a few hours just to clear my head,relax and take pictures. I can go at my own pace.
    This sounds SO DREAMY! Very jealous of the kind of proximity that would allow a little fix to wash away a bad day. Or the person who talked about going first thing in the morning...

*sigh*

I've arrived in Anaheim a day early before meeting people, or having a later departure, so ending up with a few hours on my own. It was so pleasant. I had a sketch book and my kindle and took pictures and...

My favorite solo tradition is to grab a corn dog and cherry coke and sit down in a nice spot and people watch.
    ...exactly that!...

and just generally enjoyed having the time to "stop and smell the roses" (or the churros, as the case may be). A solo visit to the park is certainly something I'd recommend to every Disneyland fan, at least once.

There are some things that are fun to share with another person or a group of people. Maybe we could figure out some signal (a la the bat signal?) to let other solo visitors know we want someone to enjoy a ride or two with or a table at the Blue Bayou. Then we just agree to go our separate ways.

• Peaches and Dreams

I've had to do disneyland alone once. My friends at the time were hung over and couldn't join me for magic morning. I learned that day that i can't do Disneyland alone. It's not fun for me. There are 3 things i don't do alone and thats, go to a restaurant, go to the movies, and go to disneyland.

• Blew By You

I have done solo for a few trips. Now, if my daughter found out I went to Disneyland by myself and without her, she'd get pretty upset. But the solo trips were very relaxing and refreshing. My last solo trip was to Disneyland's 50th Anniversary. My wife was pregnant and didn't want to bump into anyone, so I took the day by myself. And enjoyed it.

I think that every Disneyland fanatic or enthusiast owes themselves at least one solo visit. You may end up not enjoying it, so there are no guarantees, but it is a very different experience, and for most folks who are into Disneyland, it is a great opportunity to "commune" with the park. Disneyland truly becomes your center of focus, with no distractions that have you rushing from place to place trying to keep everybody in your group happy. Walt might have created Disneyland for the whole family to enjoy together, and it's true that most of the attractions are more fun when experienced with people you know, but the park itself and all of its intricate details really stand out when you go solo.

Due to various circumstances, I currently make about as many solo visits as I do family/group visits, and while the latter are primarily what I aim for, the former allow me to relax at the park and do whatever I want whenever I want to. I look forward to both about equally overall now, for different reasons.

By the way, an interesting side-effect is that other guests sometimes notice that I'm by myself, so they ask me questions about the park, apparently making the (correct) assumption that I must be a big fan and regular visitor to have come alone (I finally remembered to ask once, and that's what I was told). I don't know whether this happens much with others, but it happens to me on a regular basis. As a result, I get to meet a lot of people, most of whom are visiting from abroad or at least out of state, and it really makes my day when I can enhance somebody's experience with just some quick advice about various attractions or stories that help them understand something about the park (especially if they have a different cultural background and need some additional context).

• Bring back the Keelboats!

When I was in my mid-twenties, I used to fly from central Calif down to Disneyland for a long weekend by myself. I loved the freedom of going on what I wanted as I felt like it. I loved to sit for a couple of hours watching the River and the canoes, Keel Boats, and Mark Twain going by. When you are with others, they usually don't appreciate sitting still for that long!

However, last time I tried it alone, I had a couple of hours before I was to meet up and I felt lonely. I guess I wasn't in the right mind-frame for being alone right then.

Would I try it again? Yes. I like slowing down and actually shopping on Main Street without being asked, 'Do you really need that?' lol!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• Fallapart in my Backyard

I just did something i have never done and that is to go to Disneyland on my birthday solo which was yesterday the 27th. I have gone solo many times before but it just worked out on my birthday. Had the big party over the weekend and i like to take the day off just because. Went to city hall and got my birthday badge so all the cast members say happy birthday to you all day long. When i go i window shop all of main street, graze on all the wrong types of food, I go on the slow rides no one wants to go on and take my sweet time just people watching and take in all the detail you never do when you are with others. It felt a little akward the first time i ever went solo but believe me once you do it solo you will do it again and again.

I go by myself quite frequently. Haven't been all summer, blocked out, but now they're open and I am itching to get down there again.

I have exactly that experience you did- I can do what I want when I want, and stay in one place taking 100 pictures of something if that's what I want. It's fantastic.

Sure, it's nice sometimes to have friends along, but I'm not sitting around waiting for someone to keep me from being alone. I'm quite comfortable with my own company.

I go to restaurants solo, too.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

i'm really looking forward to getting my pass so that me and my 1year old can go together. its pretty much like being by myself. haha.

also really looking forward to date nights in the park with the husband.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

It's nice reading about all the people that enjoy Disneyland solo. I knew I wasn't the only one.

I found those trips that I was meeting other people -- if I arrived a day early, or stayed a day later to spend by myself, that I had so much more fun with my friends and family. I could completely let go of all the things I wanted to do and just go where other people wanted to go, do what they wanted. I was suddenly free of all the anxiety that I might not get to go on my favorites often enough, or eat the particular goodie I wanted. It was kind of amazing how much more I enjoyed my time both with and without people -- the best of both worlds!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by emwhysee View Post
    I found those trips that I was meeting other people -- if I arrived a day early, or stayed a day later to spend by myself, that I had so much more fun with my friends and family. I could completely let go of all the things I wanted to do and just go where other people wanted to go, do what they wanted. I was suddenly free of all the anxiety that I might not get to go on my favorites often enough, or eat the particular goodie I wanted. It was kind of amazing how much more I enjoyed my time both with and without people -- the best of both worlds!
    This is so very true. Most of my vacations are planned so that I have a mixture of solo time and group time. These are definitely the best vacations of all.

• Koubu Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by OCCOBRA View Post
    I just did something i have never done and that is to go to Disneyland on my birthday solo which was yesterday the 27th. I have gone solo many times before but it just worked out on my birthday. Had the big party over the weekend and i like to take the day off just because. Went to city hall and got my birthday badge so all the cast members say happy birthday to you all day long. When i go i window shop all of main street, graze on all the wrong types of food, I go on the slow rides no one wants to go on and take my sweet time just people watching and take in all the detail you never do when you are with others. It felt a little akward the first time i ever went solo but believe me once you do it solo you will do it again and again.
    Happy Birthday!

My first time was, believe it or not, on a family trip in Oct 2005. The night before leaving I had Japanese class until 10pm and I get a voicemail from mom that we're leaving at like midnight! I wasn't too happy about that because it meant that I wasn't getting any sleep after a day of job searching, homework, and class. I had to drive the 91 in rush hour traffic and fog, which irritated me even more. I slept in the hotel room and did homework while my family went to the park. The next day was all mine as my family rested and I got to go to Disneyland on my own. It was amazing to hit the rides and have Single Rider options along with the freedom of what I wanted to do.

Dec 2009 was my first full blown solo trip. Got the hotel and ticket I needed and drove down to Anaheim for my first Disneyland Christmas. I loved it. I'm the only member of my family who has seen the parks decorated for the season. Again, I had my own pace to see the park along with single rider options that make Fastpass seem kind of useless for rides that have single rider.

I would love to do a solo trip again, but Laughlin and Las Vegas are cheaper alternatives. Maybe someday...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast