Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A solo trip at Disneyland

So just the other day (Thursday) I decided I would go to DLR by myself. Now this is something I have never done before so I was curious to see what it would feel like. I have to say at first the feeling for me was weird because anytime I go to Disneyland I always go with a friend or family member. And usually when I do that it always turn into what my friends want to do and we always seem in a rush. This time i slowed down and looked at the tiny details and was really able to take in the atmosphere. I had the wonderful opportunity to go on a cab ride with the engineer and fireman on the C.K. Holliday and I literally walked from window to window on Buena Vista street and observed all the show pieces in the windows. It was amazing and I was crazed at how many people zoomed right past me in a hurry to get to Radiator Springs Racers. It seems that so many people are in quite a rush to get to the attractions which is understandable...but for the first time I saw Disneyland from a whole new perspective and must I say, it was simply amazing!!! From now on I will always take more time to fully immerse myself in my favorite place in the whole wide world!

So has anyone had any similar experiences? Please share!

• Nic

Re: A solo trip at Disneyland

This is something I'd love to do one day.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on if something is new, I reject it immediately because its frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

I go by myself quite a bit and I felt the same way the first time I went alone. Almost like you are doing something wrong. But everything you said is true. You go at your own pace, eat what & when you want. Oh, and the single rider line option is the best! If you go right when the park opens and the park is not busy, you can get your own boat for Pirates, Small World, etc. or get a log all to your self on Splash Mountain.

I went alone once and decided to make it a photo op. I was able to set up my shots, do some time exposure work, etc. I also enjoyed going through stores and attractions that the family just bypasses. The best part was that I went off-season so the park seemed to be all mine. If I didn't live in Texas I'd do it again.

I like going alone. I have every other friday off, and before my son was born, I would spend my mornings there. It was very relaxing and chill, especially in the offseason. Sometimes I wouldn't even go on rides. I'd just hang out and sit on a bench and people watch. Just to be there in the park with the ambiance is good enough.

Oh, and single rider usage doesn't hurt either. 10 mins wait for RSR

Disneyland - 1982 to Present
    Walt Disney World - 1996, 2011
    Tokyo Disney Resort - 2013
    Hong Kong Disneyland - 2013

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My first Disneyland trip was spent with 4 other people. I had a wonderful time. My 2nd trip was spent with 7 other people, and again I had a wonderful time. However, it was on that 2nd trip when I became spoiled during my "solo" hours. No one that I had to compare notes with, or compromise with, or be talked into doing something that I really didn't want to do. My grandson never really understands why I fly from Chicago to Anaheim for a Disneyland vacation by myself. He would never visit the parks by himself, because he would be bored. He has said as much. I, prefer the alone time. Sure, I like meeting up with MiceChat friends and spending time with them, but if I had to do that for every hour that I was in the parks, I'd go back to Chicago Frustrated. So I make sure that I get as much solo time as I can since I prefer that side of touring. I guess the fact that I am a loner at heart at home, in the real world, makes me a solo visitor by choice at the parks. I don't want to come home to Chicago and feel that I missed out on something that I really wanted to do because someone talked me into doing something else. Perhaps that sounds selfish. I guess when you travel 1/2 way across the country to be somewhere that you really love, you should be able to choose your own terms.

• Sondheimian

I'm usually by myself when I go, and I honestly like it like that. It gives me space, and I don't have to negotiate or compromise with people; and single rider option is definitely a plus. The thing I like most about being by myself, though, is I just get to think to myself. I can observe what's going on around me without anyone bothering me, it's great me time, etc. Of course, I've never been to Disneyland with another Disney fanatic such as myself, but until that day comes, I would much prefer being by myself.
    To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world. - Walt Disney

• Greetings, Program!

As much as I love taking my GF and the baby to the parks, solo trips are a must for me and I do them as often as possible. Have done so for years and years. Sometimes it's just nice to stroll and take in the details. No rides...no waits.....just total immersion.

I recommend solo trips for anyone with the means. They can be very therapeutic when you've had a really bad day.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Its a lot of fun; but it does help to have someone to talk to in line and laugh with through the ride. Otherwise, its amazing. No lines. Complete control.

• Foolish Mortal

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    I go by myself quite a bit and I felt the same way the first time I went alone. Almost like you are doing something wrong. But everything you said is true. You go at your own pace, eat what & when you want. Oh, and the single rider line option is the best! If you go right when the park opens and the park is not busy, you can get your own boat for Pirates, Small World, etc. or get a log all to your self on Splash Mountain.
    This is right on! You beat me right to it.

"So make the best of this test and don't ask why. It's not a question but a lesson learned in time."- Green Day
    "The harder you work, the luckier you get."- Billie Joe Armstrong
    "This is my rage. This is my love. This is my town. This is my city. This is my life."

• Cunning infiltrator

I always wanted to do a solo trip to DLR one day. Of course, I did go with friends who are Disney fanatics like me and that was no problem. We still had fun and it was great!

But for me I pretty much enjoy going alone, time goes much slower and you're not in a rush. You take things slower and you can see more attention to detail than with a group. I prefer going alone most of the time, no conflicts, don't have to wait for your party, no friends refusing to go on a specific attraction when asked to, and you can make your own personal decisions without anyone agreeing as group when alone.

For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Yeah it did feel a little wrong but right at the same time!!! Oh and thanks for the tip! I'm going to try and get my own boat one morning for pirates as it is one of my favorite attractions. Experiencing Pirates by myself with no other distractions would be truly amazing!

---------- Post added 08-25-2012 at 04:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    My grandson never really understands why I fly from Chicago to Anaheim for a Disneyland vacation by myself. He would never visit the parks by himself, because he would be bored.
    What?!??! How could you anyone be bored by themself at Disneyland??? I found being alone was the most interesting and least boring experience I have had at the parks!

Most of the time I go is by myself. If I have had a bad day at work I will go for a few hours just to clear my head,relax and take pictures. I can go at my own pace.

• ~

I've never gone to the park by myself but want to, and plan to, do so in the future. I imagine that I would feel a little like Walt, just strolling around the park and admiring every detail, savoring the atmosphere, and appreciating the fact that his amazing dream became a reality.

I go by myself sometimes when I want to take photos. I bring my big camera and take all the time I want, photographing big obvious things, little hidden details, or unusual temporary/seasonal things. My friends never have a problem with me stopping to take pics all the time when they're with me, but having all the time you want, to do whatever you want, is pretty cool as an alternate experience.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast