Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Blew By You

Re: In Memoriam: Neil Armstongs speech at Disneyland commemorating Space Mountain

The Moon landing was a great day, and the Moon walk was tops. Neil Armstrong was an Earth hero. I'm too sad. But I'm feeling so lucky to be able to say I saw that moment. Thank you, Neil.
    Now, we need a female on the Moon.

Re: In Memoriam: Neil Armstongs speech at Disneyland commemorating Space Mountain

Thanks for sharing this video.
    We lost a great American Hero this week. The world lost a great person.
    Rest In Peace Commander Armstrong. May his family be comforted in this time of loss.
    We are shedding tears with you.

• D'land Visitor since '57

Thanks for posting this video. It was great to see and a wonderful memory of a great man.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimickey View Post
    Here are a few images I shot during that ceremony - I was fortunate to have been able to do a short interview with Mr. Armstrong - only a few minutes that I will never forget...
    Also glad to see the photos. What a wonderful experience to be able to meet and talk with him!
    Proud member of Team It Doesn't Matterhorn, winners of the 2012 Gumball Rally Team Spirit Award.

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

Such a great video... but a HUGE loss. Thanks for sharing.
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    I don't mean this to have a modicum of disrespect--Neil Armstrong is a great hero!
    Literally, too, as he saved two missions from disaster or potential disaster, including Apollo 11.

--but I've long felt for Buzz Aldrin & Michael Collins who landed on Apollo 11 craft with Neil Armstrong on July 20, 1969, but got less attention. I don't think Armstrong gets too much credit, but that Aldrin & Collins should receive more.
    If it's any consolation, Buzz has received plenty of media attention, nearly all of the photos taken of the astronauts during the first Moon landing and excursion were of him (including the famous "Man on the Moon" photo--Armstrong photographed Buzz plenty of times, but Buzz didn't take Armstrong's photo more than once or twice, I think), and obviously he has a Space Ranger for a namesake.

As for Collins, I feel for all of the astronauts who had to stay in the Command Module but did not get to land on the surface. Two of the pre-Apollo 11 astronauts eventually landed, but none of the CM pilots ever made it down before the Apollo program was canceled (several had been slated for an opportunity). I suppose it's like getting an Olympic silver medal--a great accomplishment to be sure, but, well, this pretty much says it all: mckayla is not impressed

And (again, Armstrong, Aldrin & Collins were all extraordinary), Armstrong said, "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind," which is redundant without the "A" before "man." I know I'm an uptight English teacher, but what I really think is interesting about this is that we can go to the moon, and at one of the greatest moments in human history, reveal our imperfection.
    Well, I think that the way most Americans would recite the intended line is with a quick, subdued "a" that could very easily have been lost in the noise of or a gap in the radio transmission (we're fortunate that the whole line is fairly intelligible, given how awful the signal sounds). It is also possible that he had flubbed the line, that is true, but what I've never understood is the controversy among some over what he had intended to say, which should be obvious. I tend to think that Armstrong probably did recite it correctly because he doesn't recall flubbing at the time, but the truth will never be known with absolute certainty.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    There has been much debate over the years as to whether or not the "a" was actually said, but was inaudible due to the quality of communication of the time.
    It wasn't the time as much as it was the quarter of a million miles of distance (that's 1000 times farther than the International Space Station) through radiation belts and things like that--no astronaut has been beyond near-Earth orbit since Apollo 17, so real-time voice communications haven't been as challenging since then. But yes, whatever the reasons, the sound quality was understandably terrible, quite possibly rendering the "a" inaudible. For those who are skeptical, try reading the line out loud a few times--naturally, with no special emphasis on the "a." I'm not sure about other English speakers, but I'm positive that most Americans, anyway, would barely enunciate the "a" at all, and would probably pronounce it like "uh" very briefly, almost merging it with "man"--under the circumstances, it is at least plausible that Armstrong's "a" was enunciated but lost in the transmission.

Personally, I'm more perturbed that the American flag that Neil and Buzz planted was blown to the ground when they lifted off. In subsequent missions, the flags were planted farther away, so they should be standing unless any of them have been hit by a meteorite (highly unlikely).
    Last edited by Robert Cook; 08-30-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Thank for posting. Moon landings and Disneyland my too favourite things.

I only hope I get to see a moon landing with my own eyes It will be sad to think that some day soon we could be living in a time where no one left alive has set foot on another world

Fair winds Commander Armstrong you are a true world hero an we live in a darker place without you

• Doombuggy Rider

What an awesome tribute to Astronaut Neil Armstrong (& a reminder that there are times when the Disneyland Theme Park hosts some classic ceremonies) ...

Perhaps if (when) there is some major revamping in Tomorrowland, there could be some sort of tribute to Neil Armstrong added (I rather see this then another ride with an exit queue into a shop schilling out merchandise) ...

C J

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12