Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

In Memoriam: Neil Armstongs speech at Disneyland commemorating Space Mountain

As some of you know, Neil Armstrong passed away today. In his memory, I would like to share and interesting video I came across where he helped commemorate the Re-Launch of Space Mountain for Disneyland 50th Anniversary. What was neat to hear was his recollection of the Television show The World of Disney. How that show and the birth Disneyland help provide the inspiration and imagination for human space flight.

• Sondheimian

Re: In Memoriam: Neil Armstongs speech at Disneyland commemorating Space Mountain

Thank you so much for posting this video. Both for remembering Neil Armstrong and for remembering a great ride I can't ride for a while .
    “To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney

Re: In Memoriam: Neil Armstongs speech at Disneyland commemorating Space Mountain

Here are a few images I shot during that ceremony - I was fortunate to have been able to do a short interview with Mr. Armstrong - only a few minutes that I will never forget...

• Orange County

Got married at the Disneyland Resort in 2007!

Great video. It's nice to see Matt O. I wonder what he is up to these days and if he has seen the Resort since June 15?

• former CM

Thanks for the link, Orbitalpunk, & the photos Kimickey!

Funny, I was talking about Neil Armstrong with my kid while we were at Disneyland today, and I didn't know that he had died.

I don't mean this to have a modicum of disrespect--Neil Armstrong is a great hero!--but I've long felt for Buzz Aldrin & Michael Collins who landed on Apollo 11 craft with Neil Armstrong on July 20, 1969, but got less attention. I don't think Armstrong gets too much credit, but that Aldrin & Collins should receive more.

And (again, Armstrong, Aldrin & Collins were all extraordinary), Armstrong said, "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind," which is redundant without the "A" before "man." I know I'm an uptight English teacher, but what I really think is interesting about this is that we can go to the moon, and at one of the greatest moments in human history, reveal our imperfection.

Neil Armstrong, rest in peace, and if you can read or hear this, THANK YOU!

--Tom Sinsky
    Last edited by jcruise86; 08-25-2012 at 11:57 PM. Reason: To give credit to Kimickey!

Wow awesome video and pictures as well! its always nice to look back and see how Disney history and world history combine together!

R.I.P Neil Armstrong!
    Jack Sparrow - "You have been monstrously deceived." Pirate - We are decepted then..." Jack Sparrow - "Yes"

Awesome.

• -

Great video. Thanks for sharing. America has lost a great hero, and the Chapter Grand has initiated its most distinguished member.

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Armstrong said, "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind," which is redundant without the "A" before "man."
    There has been much debate over the years as to whether or not the "a" was actually said, but was inaudible due to the quality of communication of the time.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Seeker of Fun

Good post, what a an iconic American.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Lord of the Sky

Blog Entries

Great ,video and pictures
    Thank You for shareing........

My heart ,is deeply sad......of hearing of Neil Armstrong ,passing.....
    I will never ever forget....that special day in July 1969
    That he took that first step on the moon,for ALL MANKIND!

The Armstrong Family ask......on next clear night you see the moon....
    give it a wink!

Neil ,Thank You and all the NASA Team Hero's...for a Great Adventure's
    that you all give us !
    Last edited by Eagleman; 08-26-2012 at 10:35 AM.
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

• Chief Troublemaker

Blue Skies, Mr Armstrong. CAVU for eternity.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

^Nice tribute but someone please correct the spelling, etc. above, thanks^
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Rest in peace to Neil Armstrong.

Neil Armstrong passed away? That's too bad.
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post

I don't mean this to have a modicum of disrespect--Neil Armstrong is a great hero!--but I've long felt for Buzz Aldrin & Michael Collins who landed on Apollo 11 craft with Neil Armstrong on July 20, 1969, but got less attention. I don't think Armstrong gets too much credit, but that Aldrin & Collins should receive more.

And (again, Armstrong, Aldrin & Collins were all extraordinary), Armstrong said, "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind," which is redundant without the "A" before "man." I know I'm an uptight English teacher, but what I really think is interesting about this is that we can go to the moon, and at one of the greatest moments in human history, reveal our imperfection.
    Collins was in the CM. Never came close to landing on the moon.

And Armstrong said that he did say "a." He thought all future references should include the "a" within parentheses.

(and it wouldn't have been a capital "a", English teach... )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast