Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Disneyland Could be on Shuttle's Fly-Over Route on Arrival in LA

I used to love watching the sky above Goleta CA (Santan Barbara area) for the rockets that launched from Vandenberg Airforce Base at night. They would seperate right above my house. Very thrilling to see. So yes, I would love to be there in Disneyland when it flys over. That would be a treat that you don't get to see often.

• Pilot EdForceOne

If they do it anything like they did over DC and NYC (and I'm sure they will) - it's a sight not to miss.

They flew around here for about an hour.. making passes over all the popular areas multiple times. In fact it was hard to know when it was 'over' because there were no preannounced flight plans, etc.

The height they flew around here was stunning, as well as seeing the shuttle itself.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• -

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    If they do it anything like they did over DC and NYC (and I'm sure they will) - it's a sight not to miss.

They flew around here for about an hour.. making passes over all the popular areas multiple times. In fact it was hard to know when it was 'over' because there were no preannounced flight plans, etc.

The height they flew around here was stunning, as well as seeing the shuttle itself.
    That sounds awesome! I think it would be really cool to get a shot of the Matterhorn or Space Mountain with the shuttle going by over head.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

The photo backdrop of that event would be amazing.

The great thing about he Shuttle retiring is the fact that they can fly it as long as they want because they don't have to worry about impacts with the thermal tiles.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda View Post
    Why not? It may not have been designed with expeditious wing removal in mind, but I'm sure they could do wonders with blow torches, tin snips, duct tape, and Bond-O (the last two items for the reattatchment)
    You wouldn't even need to do all that. The wings are separate pieces, attached to the fuselage with bolts, and of course can be removed if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    If they do it anything like they did over DC and NYC (and I'm sure they will) - it's a sight not to miss.They flew around here for about an hour.. making passes over all the popular areas multiple times. In fact it was hard to know when it was 'over' because there were no preannounced flight plans, etc. The height they flew around here was stunning, as well as seeing the shuttle itself.
    Minor details of the flight path and tentative flight schedule has been releasedhttp://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2012/sep/HQ_M12-173_Endeavour_Ferry_Flight.html

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by RescueRanger View Post
    Minor details of the flight path and tentative flight schedule has been releasedhttp://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2012/sep/HQ_M12-173_Endeavour_Ferry_Flight.html
    Not really . All you have is the general time window. Come before you will probably get a list a landmarks they will pass but again it's very difficult the day of to know exactly where that maps to, when, etc. and then when multiple passes aren't announced, it adds to the confusion.

Basically we saw they had an area they were allowed to fly they made their first passes, and then had extra time so they continued to keep making more adhoc passes.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12