Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• -

Disneyland Could be on Shuttle's Fly-Over Route on Arrival in LA

NASA sent out a couple of planes yesterday to plan out the path Endeavor will take when it arrives in LA next month which could include Disneyland.
    NASA flyover a preview for space shuttle's dramatic L.A. entrance - latimes.com

What do you think? Is this a good thing or a bad thing? What do you think the impact to crowds/ traffic will be?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Disneyland Could be on Shuttle's Fly-Over Route on Arrival in LA

I don't know why it's necessary to do this. The skies above DL are so well mapped and so heavily trafficked it's not like they don't know the area they're going to be flying over.

• Minion

Would be a nice treat if your in the park that date
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I don't know why it's necessary to do this. The skies above DL are so well mapped and so heavily trafficked it's not like they don't know the area they're going to be flying over.
    Not by a 747 piggy-backing the Space Shuttle they aren't. They were not planning the approach to the airport, they were planning what to fly over and around and in what order and direction, etc for the best possible views by the public and for photographic purposes. On top of that, when NASA actually flies the shuttle in, there will be a smaller jet (Lear I believe) on the same route about 100 miles ahead of it doing weather scouting and rerouting. They have very tight constraints on what conditions they can fly in. Then they can plan out these sorts of things. Discovery Flyovers Delight D.C. Area as Seen from a T-38 Chase Aircraft - YouTube

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Rock Star Minion

Doesn't say how the shuttle will get from whatever airport it lands at (LAX, Edwards seem the only possibiities) to the CA Science Center near USC. One of those giant helicoptors? But that's logistics for after the celebratory flyover.

Bigger issue on a Thursday would be TV helicoptors that do traffic reports. Depending on the time,
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Endevour is flying into LAX, then will be towed over LA streets to Exposition Park two weeks later.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Doesn't say how the shuttle will get from whatever airport it lands at (LAX, Edwards seem the only possibiities) to the CA Science Center near USC. One of those giant helicoptors? But that's logistics for after the celebratory flyover.

Bigger issue on a Thursday would be TV helicoptors that do traffic reports. Depending on the time,
    I'm not sure if the wings can be removed on the shuttle, but when Air Force One was transported to the Reagan, the wings were removed and the plane was loaded on a flatbed and trucked over. It was then reassembled inside.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Silent Lucidity

Would be cool to have it pass overhead while you were at DL !

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I'm not sure if the wings can be removed on the shuttle, but when Air Force One was transported to the Reagan, the wings were removed and the plane was loaded on a flatbed and trucked over. It was then reassembled inside.
    I don't know if they'll remove the wings, but it looks to be a wide load. They will be removing trees and wires along its ground route: Shuttle Endeavour Los Angeles route unveiled | abc7.com

For every one tree they have to remove, they will plant two in its place.

I'll probably go to D-Land just to see it fly over unless I could find better viewing elsewhere. I'm disappointed that I'll be out of town for the ground transport.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by The First Star View Post
    I don't know if they'll remove the wings, but it looks to be a wide load. They will be removing trees and wires along its ground route: Shuttle Endeavour Los Angeles route unveiled | abc7.com

For every one tree they have to remove, they will plant two in its place.

I'll probably go to D-Land just to see it fly over unless I could find better viewing elsewhere. I'm disappointed that I'll be out of town for the ground transport.
    Thanks for sharing the link. It's amazing how much stuff has to be cleared to let the shuttle through. It shows how big it actually is and how amazing the display at the science center will be.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Thanks for sharing the link. It's amazing how much stuff has to be cleared to let the shuttle through. It shows how big it actually is and how amazing the display at the science center will be.
    Up close and personal, it is an incredible work of engineering and science art. I highly recommend watching the flyover and the drive if possible, and then go see it. Walk around it, read about it and what it did, because that is the history that leads us out to the planets and stars. We learned to live and work in space in that machine.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

The wings cannot be removed.

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by ravencroft View Post
    The wings cannot be removed.
    Why not? It may not have been designed with expeditious wing removal in mind, but I'm sure they could do wonders with blow torches, tin snips, duct tape, and Bond-O (the last two items for the reattatchment)
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda View Post
    Why not? It may not have been designed with expeditious wing removal in mind, but I'm sure they could do wonders with blow torches, tin snips, duct tape, and Bond-O (the last two items for the reattatchment)
    Actually, that does bring up a good point. The shuttle is never flying again. There really is no reason that they couldn't surgically remove the wings for transport and put them back on again when it arrives at its destination. They will lose some of their structural integrity, but the orbiter does not need to be made flight or space worthy ever again. They could reattach them and have them cosmetically look as though they have never been removed.

• Banned User

What would be cool is if the piggybacked Shuttle barnstormed Disneyland, flying totally on the deck, scaring the hell out of everybody. That'd be fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast