Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• the rum is always gone

Re: Random Bugs land idea.

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandreport View Post
    Not to mention too small an area to do anything with any real impact.
    There is plenty of room in ABL/ITTBAB and the empty space behind the CL rockwork. The blue shows the reasonable amount of space that could potentially be developed. I also threw in the IJA building in the big area behind the CL rockwork for size comparison.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by notlemc; 09-05-2012 at 05:46 AM.

• Nic

I love the idea, but do we have to have another vintage area in the park?

We have Hollywoodland and Buena Vista Street, already.

It's California Adventure, not Vintageland.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

I am an adult and I love bugs land. I would actually be crushed if they took out heimlichs chew chew train ....I call it the smellovision ride

Totally inaccurate I know, but whatever.

I am an adult and I love bugs land. I would actually be crushed if they took out heimlichs chew chew train ....I call it the smellovision ride
    You took the words right out of my mouth! (Including calling Heimlich's Chew Chew Train "smellovision"!)

Bug's Land is such a fantastic oasis in DCA...the perfect contrast to the arid geography of most of the rest of the park. I find it utterly charming, a gorgeous example of Disney's masterful landscaping and theming.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post

Well the Pier...is based in the past too

And...well what do you mean Disneyland besides Tommorrowland and Toontown are based on "Pasted" lands...Frontier..Adventure...Main Street..New Orleans...Critter Country...and Fantasyland...and it works out well that people like going where you can't go and if it's based off a cool part of History its a plus

• Minion

Disney already tried current day California and that didn't work. The key to making a successful land/attraction is transporting guests to an area they can't otherwise go. You can go visit a real seaside amusement park, or the Golden Gate Bridge, or the Palace of Fine Arts. But you can't visit 1920s Los Angeles, an early 1900s pier, or Radiator Springs anywhere else.

They key to DCA's success will be representing different eras of California's history in an idealized way.

• film975

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    Disney already tried current day California and that didn't work. The key to making a successful land/attraction is transporting guests to an area they can't otherwise go. You can go visit a real seaside amusement park, or the Golden Gate Bridge, or the Palace of Fine Arts. But you can't visit 1920s Los Angeles, an early 1900s pier, or Radiator Springs anywhere else.

They key to DCA's success will be representing different eras of California's history in an idealized way.
    Which is probably what they've should've done in the first place. Now if only they could only do something that would represent Old Spanish California. I'm thinking of a certain masked avenger in a certain TV show that Disney once produced.

•   
    • Banned User

Uuuuh. Now that you mention it you've kind of got a point. As mentioned above the "modern day California" didn't work but that doesn't mean that doing the opposite ( old timey lands ) is the key to success either. Old Hollywood, Old California Aircraft flats, Old California beach pier park, Old Cannery Row type wharf.... I feel bad for missing this obviousness.

That blue section on the map can/should either:

1) Continue to be a children's themed oasis, away from the bustle of adults
    2) be something else Pixar
    3) be the place that Marvel attractions go, but please keep Marvel out of DL itself. That's Walt's Fantasyland, not Stan Lee's.

• Keeping Disney Solvent

What made BL a nice hangout for families with small kids was its secluded location. Now that it's a pass-through and 90% of the peeps there are just speeding on by to get somewhere, it's not nearly as endearing.

I agree Bugsland has over stayed its welcome. It is a hold over from the Eisner Era of cheap fixes with off the shelf attractions.

Two parts of California's heritage is its hispanic and chinese cultures. Both groups have had a large impact on the development of California. Perhaps a good transition from Carthay Circle and Hollywood land would be a split of China Town and for lack of a better title, Zoro Square. Both would fit into the current blueprint. Where It's Tough to be a Bug is located would be great for a small little China Town. Little shops and and a feature restaurant utilizing Walt's idea for a China Town off of Main Street. With the current technology exhibited at the last D23 Expo with the interactive audio animatronic/ facial recognition character. Walt had a great idea with a chinese restaurant with a Confucius character providing witticisms and fortune cookie advice. Multiple dining spaces within the restaurant could provide a more personable dining experience.

Zorro Square could have a classic e-ticket attraction. shops and garden areas providing shade. putting Zoro Square where the bulk of Bugsland is located would provide a nice transition into Radiator Springs and allow more natural Californian Landscaping.

I know most will shoot down these ideas hoping for some more futuristic attractions or merely saving outdated Bugsland. Part of what makes Disneyland so charming is the multitude of quiet spaces interspersed between hot active ones. New Orleans Square is one of the most popular parts of Disneyland yet its actual footprint in the park is relatively small when it comes to actual guest areas.

I have a feeling the parking lot land behind Radiator Springs Racers and Luigi's has been slated for a permanent Parade building so that WDI can utilize the current building locations as future e-ticket attractions for Paradise Pier.

• Minion

I think the Rocketeer would fit DCA very well. A movie that's actually set in...........CALIFORNIA! Imagine that!

The Condor Flats theming is one of the things I actually like* about DCA 1.0 and if it's going to Yesterland, I wouldn't mind seeing it somewhere else.

(* except Soarin' could use a more exciting exterior, which I hope the remodel will give it).

The Rocketeer could also fit in Hollywoodland, since the movie also involves Hollywood during that time period (it even features the Hollywoodland sign!)

I didn't know they were planning a remake. But I'm sure even if guests weren't familiar with the source material, most people would love to strap on a "rocket pack" and "fly."

(Zorro would be perfect for DCA too, but I've read there's some legal wrangling over the character).

Regarding Bugs Land - imagine if Fantasyland was just Dumbo, the Teacups, Casey Jr., and a 3D movie, crammed into a corner between Frontierland and Tomorrowland.

Then again, I still love Toontown for the theming and want it to get new attractions instead of being removed, so I get where the other people are coming from. It just seems like there's so much more you could do with the "size of a bug" concept, even with the outdoor theming (the ITTBAB lobby is great, though). That's what Pixar movies are usually all about - seeing our world from a different perspective - and that's why they so seldom fit into regular Disneyland lands, which are usually about transporting you to another time, or an imaginary world.
    Last edited by animagusurreal; 09-05-2012 at 11:49 PM.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

Aside from bugs land the whole east side of Paradise Pier needs to be reimagineered. its really lacking. the goofys sky school is so sketchy i never ride it from fear that it might shatter into a million pieces. Those jellyfish things are ridiculous. I dont mind the swings or the zephyr so much but it just seems that no one is ever on that side of ca adventure.
    Jack Sparrow - "You have been monstrously deceived." Pirate - We are decepted then..." Jack Sparrow - "Yes"

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post

Yep, and different eras isn't primarily in the 1920s - 1940s.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

what a great idea. that would be so cool.

Quote Originally Posted by victoriaskitten View Post
    what a great idea. that would be so cool.
    If you click on "reply with quote" it'll be easier to tell which idea you liked the best.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12