Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Re: Tom Sawyer Island - Time for a Change

I don't buy into the idea that because Fantasmic is a show that one sits and passively watches, that it's a sign of the new, horrible, imagination killing Disney. There's always been room for the "show" type attraction at the park. As I recall Country Bear Jamboree was basically a show that you sat and watched, and everyone knows how much love and nostalgia people have for that. Parades and fireworks shows are other examples. Yes, I know they aren't the exact same thing, but the point remains that they are spectacles or shows where you watch as they spoon out the story or entertainment.

Having said that, I've never been a fan of Fantasmic. To me it just means a crowded noisy part of the park where CM's maniacally wave orange flashlights at me as I try to get to or from the HM. I would not mind one bit seeing it go away. But I can see how many would love it. And I can imagine that if you saw this show for the first time as a child, it would leave quite the impression on you and become a source of nostalgia when you got older.
    Last edited by Steveman; 09-04-2012 at 06:28 PM.

So you're telling me you can dislike something... yet still respect it for the enjoyment it clearly gives others?

How level-headed and mature!

I should add that I think there ARE times where Disney really fails. The Nemo version of the subs being one of them. But I don't think Fantasmic fits in that category by any means, despite it being a source of annoyance to me personally.

• Nic

I don't tend to get into these Fantasmic discussions, because personally, I've never seen the show. But, from what I do know about it, it's a colorful, fun, and magical show. And last time I checked, New Orleans doesn't go to sleep at night, it comes alive, and that type of show brings life into New Orleans.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    And last time I checked, New Orleans doesn't go to sleep at night, it comes alive, and that type of show brings life into New Orleans.
    When was the last time you checked New Orleans of the 1860s?

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    Wasn't the original Burbank park initially known as the Mickey Mouse Park?
    Yes, but it was going to be literally a train ride and some statues of some of the characters that you could take photos with.

Also, are we to believe that there has been nothing good about the Disney company post 1985?
    To be honest, the 90's in the park is easily one of my favorite time periods. Obviously I am biased because I grew up in the 90's, but I don't think everything after He Who Shall Not Be Named took office went to garbage in the park.

That being said there are plenty of things that did go to garbage during that time. Tomorrowland in '98 and DCA in 2001 being two of them. Two very large projects that fell short of their mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    When was the last time you checked New Orleans of the 1860s?

• I'm from Canada eh!

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Yes, but it was going to be literally a train ride and some statues of some of the characters that you could take photos with.
    Ok, but i'm still correct. Disneyland was concived as an idea to tie-in the Walt's most popular property, regardless of what it was, or what it became.

To be honest, the 90's in the park is easily one of my favorite time periods. Obviously I am biased because I grew up in the 90's, but I don't think everything after He Who Shall Not Be Named took office went to garbage in the park.

That being said there are plenty of things that did go to garbage during that time. Tomorrowland in '98 and DCA in 2001 being two of them. Two very large projects that fell short of their mark.

Eisner took power in 1985.
    Face it, the reason why you, and a generation of people are fans of disney was a direct result of the Disney Corp's actions in the 80's and 90's.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    Disneyland was concived as an idea to tie-in the Walt's most popular property, regardless of what it was, or what it became.
    Not true.

• I'm from Canada eh!

From wikipedia, sourced from the History of Disneyland.

While many people wrote letters to Disney about visiting the Disney Studio, he realized that a functional movie studio had little to offer to the visiting fans. This began to foster ideas of building a site near his Burbank studios for tourists to visit. His ideas then evolved to a small play park with a boat ride and other themed areas. Disney's initial concept, his "Mickey Mouse Park", started with an 8-acre (3.2 ha) plot across Riverside Drive. He started to visit other parks for inspiration and ideas, including Tivoli Gardens in Denmark, Efteling in The Netherlands and Greenfield Village, Playland, and Children's Fairyland in the USA. He started his designers working on concepts, but these would grow into a project much larger than could be contained in 8 acres (3.2 ha).
    Please explain why my statement was not true.

Edit: Also of course the kids having fun with their parents bit too.
    Last edited by Meville; 09-05-2012 at 08:24 AM.

• Closed Account

Walt's ideas about this theme park were greatly influenced by his trip to the Chicago Railfair in 1948, and subsequent visit to Greenfield Village. As I stated earlier, Walt Disney's very first written description of what he wanted to build had absolutely nothing to do with any character/movie/property tie-ins. If you want me to post that memo, I'd be happy to.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Please do! I would love to read it, if it was made availible. Thank you.

• Closed Account

Here you go. It's quite enlightening.

The Main Village, which included the Railroad Station is built around a village green or informal park. In the park will be benches, a bandstand, drinking fountain, trees and shrubs. It will be a place for people to sit and rest, mothers and grandmothers can watch over small children at play. I want it to be very relaxing, cool and inviting.

Around the park will be built the town. At one end will be the Railroad Station, at the other end, Town Hall. The Hall will be built to represent a Town Hall, but actually we will use it as our administration building. It will be the headquarters of the entire project.

Adjoining the Town Hall will be the Fire and Police Stations. The Fire Station will contain practical fire apparatus, scaled down. The Police Station will also be put to practical use. Here the visitors will report all violations, lost articles, lost kids, etc. In it we could have a little jail where the kids could look in. We might even have some characters in it.

We will also have a drug store with a soda fountain and sell the usual articles…candy, cigarettes, magazines, camera and film supplies and all sorts of novelty souvenirs.

The Opera House and the Movie Theatre, with a capacity of three hundred seats, Here we will put on little kids’ plays of all kinds, together with motion pictures. We can also use it as a radio and television broadcasting place. We will have a variety of little stores around the park. One would be a toy store. Here we would sell the Disney toys and whatever toys would be suitable. There should be a repair shop in the store where the toys can be fixed. We would include a book department here that would carry all the Disney books.

A doll store, featuring Disney dolls and other kinds too, together with a doll hospital. Another store could be an old-fashioned candy factory where we would sell candy that is no longer obtainable. We would use only the best materials and stress the fact that it is the old-fashioned kind that can’t be bought today.

Next is the Hobby Shop where all kinds of stuff can be bought. This will be for both boys and girls.

There will be another shop (we will think of an appropriate title) where the Disney artists can sell what they most enjoy doing in their leisure hours, i.e., their hobbies, whatever they may be.

Maybe we could have a magic shop where we would have all kinds of tricks for kids, party favors, etc.

Next would be a kids’ furniture store. Here we would have all types of furniture, play-houses, etc., but the point is it would be the same type of furniture that would be on display in the residential section.

Then a kids’ clothing store. Here we would have all types of play suits, Indian suits, soldier suits, cowboy outfits…all the things kids love to dress up in.

Restaurant. We would have a lunch counter and dining room. Probably we would have a separate dining room, or rooms, that could be reserved for birthday parties of a private kind. This would be arranged through a separate catering set-up.

In the center of the park we will have a little hot-dog/ice cream stand which would be very colorful.

Music Store. Here the kids can buy Disney records and all other kinds of kids’ records.

In the Town Hall we will have a real Post Office where mail and packages can be mailed (Note: Check with Burbank on how to go about getting our own postal stamp).

The Horse Car. The car would start at the Main Entrance and pick up those who did not want to walk. The car would then take them down the street to the Railroad Station. The car would stop here for those who wanted to get off at the village or they could continue on to the Western village, then loop around and come back by way of the Carnival section; then onto the Main Village for a stop and continue until it was back at the Main Entrance.

We will have a Livery Stable where buck-boards are for hire. These will carry adults and children and will be pulled by a team of ponies which would drive them all around the village. Surreys and buck-boards will be available to go through the Western Village and the old farm. In other words, they can use any road. They will be rented by the half-hour, including the driver.

Carnival Section. This will be attached to the village and will be the regular concession type, which will appeal to adults and kids alike. There will be roller coasters, merry go rounds…typical Midway stuff. (This will be worked out later.)

The Western Village. A general store with a soda fountain and lunch counter. We could sell most of the articles we have in the drug store in the village but we would also sell Western toys, Western outfits, toy guns, etc.

We might want to put in another little movie set-up here where we would run nothing but Western pictures.

We will have a pony ring, set up a corral, where the kids can ride.

The Stage Coach. The coach would leave from the Western village, pass through the farm, go through the Indian village and pass the old mill. This would be by a special road.

The Donkey Pack Train. The donkeys would all be hooked together and handled by one man. This would take ten kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Here you go. It's quite enlightening.
    Thank you for posting this! How cool is it that this little memo turned into DisneyLand? The ideas expressed here pretty much laid out the ground work for Main Street and Frontierland. I am sooo glad that this was not the final product!
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

• Team Hail HYDRA

yes it is amazing

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• Banned User

Well, now I know whose articles to stop reading. This is an embarrassment.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast