Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Smile IF Disneyland did a scary Halloween overlay, what would you like to see?

I was just wondering what attractions we could brainstorm if Disneyland were to do an actual adult Halloween overlay like Knotts and Universal. Here are a few of my ideas:

DISNEYLAND

Main St. Halloween Carolers- a singing group that tells tales of scary folklore.

Haunted Mansion- No major change, but perhaps actors in the graveyard.

Festival Arena- Old west style haunted maze inspired by Ghost Riders in the Sky.

Tom Sawyer Island at Night- another haunted maze in the Fort Wilderness, along with enhanced effects inside the caves.

Ghost stories on the Mark Twain and Columbia- trips around the river with legends of haunted caves, and unsolved mysteries. The burning house would return.

Space Mountain- no major change, but I'd redo the Ghost Galaxy, so Bob appears at randomized times, and add a lot of effects in the line. Open up those covered windows so guest can see things out in space.

Innoventions- Two mazes. One on the first floor where the house of the future traps guest inside as the AI technology turns on the owners. Upstairs, there'd be an Alien Invasion maze.

Star Tours: Dark Side- Darth Vader recruits guests and turns them against the rebellion as you see the attacks from the villains point of view and travel to new planets including Mustafar.

Main St would remain a character meet & greet.

Toon Town would be open for trick or treating.

New Orleans would have meet & greets with characters from Nightmare Before Xmas, the haunted mansion and Pirates.

Halloween Fireworks would of course remain a part of the night.

Villains Meet & Greet at the Fantasy Faire

A REAL Villains Parade, not like that mess they did last year.

Also, music and lighting around the park would reflect a Halloween Theme.

Captain EO would become a seasonal attraction for Halloween time only.

Haunted Autopia Track- Guest drive through scary towns and areas and actors and animatronics try to get them.

DCA

WOC would get a complete Halloween redo.

Challenge trail would get a maze... perhaps an haunted wilderness theme?

Halloween themed dance party in the Hollywood Backlout

Disney villains Haunted Maze inside the Animation Building- guest walk in the realms of their favorite Disney villains. This would be more kid friendly.

Hollywood Murder Mysteries Maze inside the Millionaire Building.

Halloween 3D show in the muppets theatre. Not sure on this one, but something.

That's all I've got so far. haha. Thoughts?

• Nic

Re: IF Disneyland did a scary Halloween overlay, what would you like to see?

I like it.

It's a nice scary (but not overly scary), that still retains the integrity of Disneyland.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on if something is new, I reject it immediately because its frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Banned User

thanks!

• Banned User

One thing I forgot:

Sleeping Beauty Castle walk thru would get a retheme for Malificent's new movie, telling the story of her past.

• ~

Although it's fun to imagine what a scary Halloween overlay would be like at the Disneyland Park, I don't think a complete adult overlay would ever work well inside the park. I know this is a "what if?" thread for fun, but I'm metioning this because I actually think some of these ideas would work nicely inside the current overlay of the park. Ghost Galaxy is an example that there can be some frightening elements in the park, if in the appropriate spot.

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    Haunted Mansion- No major change, but perhaps actors in the graveyard.
    I could imagine other actors in various rooms of the masion to appear in unexpected places through out the attraction, la "live knight" from the mid-'80s? Alhough personally, I like how HM, even when ominous and threatening, isn't "in your face" scary with things popping out at you.

Ghost stories on the Mark Twain and Columbia- trips around the river with legends of haunted caves, and unsolved mysteries. The burning house would return.
    I love this idea. Probably my favorite thing from this list. So simple, but it could be a fantastic addition to the park's current Halloween overlay. I can imagine the boats circling the river at night, with a Cast Member sitting towards the front of the ship, dimly lit with a lantern, telling the guests legends as the boat progresses into the darkness.

Space Mountain- no major change, but I'd redo the Ghost Galaxy, so Bob appears at randomized times, and add a lot of effects in the line. Open up those covered windows so guest can see things out in space.
    I second this. I don't really like Ghost Galaxy in its current state. I think that the idea could be improved. Randomized times is a really good idea. What types of effects do you have in mind for the queue?

Innoventions- Two mazes. One on the first floor where the house of the future traps guest inside as the AI technology turns on the owners. Upstairs, there'd be an Alien Invasion maze.
    I don't generally like any type of fright mazes since they all seem to be the same. Dark hallways, creepy music, people/animatronics dressed up as zombies/murderers/ghosts/vampires jumping out at you. Even if well-done, it gets old. But these two sound like two unique mazes that I would willingly walk through.

Star Tours: Dark Side- Darth Vader recruits guests and turns them against the rebellion as you see the attacks from the villains point of view and travel to new planets including Mustafar.
    The more I think about this idea, the more I really like it, and another idea that works for the current Halloween overlay. It would be fun to see the queue rethemed into, say, the inside of the Death Star rather than a spaceport terminal. Crazy idea that I'm not sure could even be accomplished in that space, but I like when a queue really immerses you in the story and it would be fun to start out on the villian's side from the moment that you step into the queue.

• Banned User

Thanks to you as well. Still wanna hear other people's ideas.

In the old abandoned old abandoned amusement park.

The truly scary Halloween overlays belong at Universal and the other parks that accept them. I truly believe Disney should remain family friendly at all times as Walt strived it to be. The scariest I'd get would be:

• 2 shots on the rocks.

Maybe DCA should host the scary Halloween while Disneyland retains the family friendly Halloween atmosphere?
    I don't know, but I do love your ideas.

• Minion

I'd really love for Disney to do more along the lines of creepy rather than shocking. The other parks do shocking just fine. I'd love for mazes more along the lines of the Tower of Terror queue where you just know something is wrong. Shock scares are dandy, but they should definitely be scaled back to allow the scenery and showrooms to take a step forward.

I was really interested in the OP, I will say.

• Minion

That looks great. Decades ago a local department store had a kid-friendly Halloween walk-through. IIRC, it was a series of macabre/funny scenes and there weren't scare actors jumping out at you (typical of other haunts).

• Under that tree again!

What I'd like to see is the parties be free, but when they sell more than a couple million worth of tickets, they don't have to add very much to keep these nights successful.

• Banned User

I really do think they should just be a part of the regular hours in the fall, but most theme parks make these separate events, so oh well.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Big Thunder Mountain would be an awesome Halloween overlay.

• Hot FIRE!

They somewhat have a CM only event called Hauntopia which is similar to your idea. it was done last year and was so popular it drew from just the CMs alone 1 hour wait time with only one track open. Also an old event prior to Ghost Galaxy was Nightmare Nebula. I disliek getting scared silly by Universal and Knotts. raising the level of creep in disneyland would be ok within reason...

...As I see it

There's no way I'd do Universal or Knotts for Halloween, but this sounds like the perfect balance of scary and classic Disney. I personally am not a fan of haunted houses/mazes and things popping out of me, so I would skip the mazes, but they still sound great ideas for those interested. Your ride overlays and other ideas sound really fun as well! I particularly love the Main St. Halloween Carolers and the ghost stories on the Mark Twain and Columbia.

I think this is the appropriate place to ask this question, so here goes. How scary is Ghost Galaxy? I want to ride it, since Space Mountain is one of my favorite rides, but I really don't like things popping out at me and such.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast