Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First Timers/Birthday Button Perks?

I'm treating my best friend to a trip to the parks this Oct. He's never been. He's very excited and I'm excited for him!

I'm just wondering.... on the 9th will be his first visit to the parks and on the 11th will be his birthday. Considering he's not the type of person to draw attention to himself... would it be a good idea to get the buttons offered at City Hall?

Do these buttons offer any other perks at all? Or will it just attract attention, and he'll just want to be left alone?

• Hooterville, USA

Re: First Timers/Birthday Button Perks?

Attract attention.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• I'm not really here

Not really any perks. CMs will all wish him a happy birthday as will a number of guests. They don't make a big deal out of it... just a quick "hey, happy birthday" as you pass. Restaurants you eat at may bring out a little thing and sign, but it's not a stop the presses sort of thing. Get it for him... if he decides it's too much, he can take it off.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by produceguy View Post
    Do these buttons offer any other perks at all? Or will it just attract attention, and he'll just want to be left alone?
    He can wear one or both the whole visit it's not limited to a first day or only on your birthday.

With a birthday pin many people will wish him happy birthday. If you go to sit down dining he may get a special dessert. He may receive some other special things.

Quote Originally Posted by produceguy View Post
    I'm treating my best friend to a trip to the parks this Oct. He's never been. He's very excited and I'm excited for him!

I'm just wondering.... on the 9th will be his first visit to the parks and on the 11th will be his birthday. Considering he's not the type of person to draw attention to himself... would it be a good idea to get the buttons offered at City Hall?

We were in the parks this past June to celebrate my son's birthday. He was constantly being told "Happy Birthday" by CM's as well as guests. That's about as far as it went.

Neither button grants you any additional perks. No discounts. No extra Fast Passes. Nothing. If he is as self conscience as you claim, then he probably wouldn't care to wear the buttons. They do make a pretty cool souvenir though.

You can still get the buttons for your friend so he can have them as a keepsake. There's no policy or anything that says he has to wear them.
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

Ok, good to know. Thanks you guys!

Defiantly stop by city hall and get it for him...but I would not make a big deal of it if he does not want to wear it and not want the attention.

On my B-Day, I absolutely appreciated that my friends got me the button, but I did not wanna wear it in any way shape or form...I am the type that just wants to have a good time and not be the center of attention.

get the button. not only will everyone mention it but you will sometime get some free stuff for dessert and what not. as a matter of fact when we went to the tony romas across the street she got a free dessert. I also remember getting a discount at the dennys too. it was cool and she like the attention

I went to Disneyland 2 days before my birthday in June 2011. It was the last day of my ticket and the last day in the area before flying home the next day. Not sure now how it came about but a CM gave me a Happy Birthday button and told me to wear it anyways especially since I would not be there for my actual birthday. It was nice. LOTS of people told me happy birthday. CM's and guests. I decided since I knew I would be back in the fall to upgrade my 3 day park hopper to a Deluxe AP, the lowest AP I can get without being a California resident.

Now what I am about to say I cannot verify will happen again. Not sure if it is standard practice or I just got lucky. But I went to get my upgrade to an AP. At the time it was where the Holly Jolly Bakery is now of course. The agent was processing my park hopper to the AP and filling out all the info and determining what I needed to pay for the price difference. When she gave me the total, she told me she took off $30 from the AP price because it was my birthday! I was very happy since I knew going in what I was expected to pay and the discount was a nice birthday bonus from Disney.

• Minion

It's my personal opinion that if it's your birthday, you definitely should get the button. It's really heartwarming to be at Disneyland where magic happens and to have so many people wish you a happy birthday. People can change a little at the parks, often for the better, and your friend might be surprised.

One perk is that if you go early and head to Jolly Holiday for breakfast, the cashiers might sing to you. :P It's probably not super common, but it's happened at least once.

• Capt without a ship...

Actually there is an unsaid perk - many cast members, will do what they can to add to his special day - not only by saying Happy Birthday, but sometime getting you into front row seating on rides and such...

Not a big deal to many - but my daughter was over the moon - she had never been front row on many rides...

•   
    • Banned User

For my birthday the CMs let me drive the parking lot tram. I'm still paying off the damages.

If you go to the Storyteller`s Cafe and tell them its your birthday, they`ll bring you a cupcake with a lighted candle and several will clap and sing a little birthday thing

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    For my birthday the CMs let me drive the parking lot tram. I'm still paying off the damages.
    Hahaha!
    * *The dreams that you wish will come true* *

Not sure how they do it at Disneyland but at WDW there are some perks if you're found wearing one. I'm not at liberty to say what though.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast