Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Why is there the hate for DCA? I didn't get it

DCA sure has come a long way. Back when it first opened, there really wasn't a lot of stuff. Now, Carsland is one of the best "lands" on the property, and BVS is a whole lot better than Sunshine Plaza.

I often forget how much there is in DCA because some of the attractions are easy to miss, such as It's Tough to Be a Bug.

That being said, Paradise Pier still suffers from the fact that you can see hotels and outside stuff from outside the park. Screamin' is just a roller coaster, and while Mickey's Fun Wheel looks ok, and is part of WoC, waiting 30 mins for just a Ferris Wheel is not a classic Disney experience. I guess that the Fun Wheel is a lot of fun for kids who has never been on a Ferris Wheel, but in terms of re-rideability I think it is lacking.

I think DCA has come a long way, but there is a lot more to do, especially the Hollywood area and I would like to see Monsters Inc. drastically upgraded, in addition to "fixing" the second half of Mermaid which has an unfinished look.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdshiftCM View Post
    Also, take into account all of the items you listed were either not present when the park opened or are no longer in thier original form.
    The only two items mentioned by the OP that were present at opening are California Screamin' and Grizzly River Run.

When I went a week or two after opening I rode and saw everything I wanted, which was the majority of the park, within three hours. I went on Muppets 3D, Golden Dreams, California Screamin', It's Tough To Be A Bug, Maliboomer, Mulholland Madness (now Goofy's Sky School), Soarin' Over California and the Sun Wheel (now Mickey's Fun Wheel). Sadly, Superstar Limo was closed, and I skipped Grizzly River Run due to it being February. Then I took the bakery tour and ate the bread bowl soup (which I still enjoy) and I was done.

I didn't "hate" the experience but it was included with my annual pass (about $100 at the time!) so I didn't pay the going day rate of $43 for those three hours. I did not renew that pass so if I went back into DCA on future visits before it expired it would have only been to ride California Screamin'. But I honestly do not remember any specific visits after that first visit, though I remember stopping by DL on Friday evenings to ride the Matterhorn quite a bit that year.

Remember also that DCA was touted as a Disney character-free experience. Hard to wrap one's head around, I know, but the identifiable characters were Muppets and Pixar, not Disney. Even in the shops.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    Remember also that DCA was touted as a Disney character-free experience. Hard to wrap one's head around, I know, but the identifiable characters were Muppets and Pixar, not Disney. Even in the shops.
    From an interview Bob Iger recently gave:

Question: It does seem strange that it was a California theme park with hardly any Disney characters.

Bob Iger: "We probably underestimated how much people would demand Disney when they come to a park that has the Disney name on it."

You might think he was talking about more than just the characters . . .

• The doctor is in

Disneyland still has the better rides and has more to do, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's a bad park. When I visited DCA for the first time in 2008 I thought it was a lousy park and was a little disjointed. However, when I visited again this past spring I was real surprised. I thought the updates that had been done already were cool, the landscaping was better, and it felt like there was more to do with it.

I don't really get why DCA is still so downplayed. It has decent attractions and good food.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

• Greetings, Program!

"Hate" is a strong word. I'd say I was incredibly unimpressed with DCA 1.0. The same price as DL, but with half the rides and it opened later and closed earlier. And missing that uniquely "Disney" feel.

With the recent overhaul, they've taken some great steps in the right direction. Stay the course, keep the people around who made the difference, and watch the park come into its own. They've made a great change for the better recently.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    From an interview Bob Iger recently gave:

Question: It does seem strange that it was a California theme park with hardly any Disney characters.

Bob Iger: "We probably underestimated how much people would demand Disney when they come to a park that has the Disney name on it."
    He was talking about how guys like Einser and Pressler thought that just by putting "Disney" in the name of the park, people would automatically buy into it...which didn't happen.

As far as DCA hate, the problem was it had a 40 year old "Original" to compete with not a 100 yards away. I don't think any of the other Disney parks have had that problem.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Sondheimian

While it certainly is better than it was, and BVS and Cars Land are some of the best work they've done in a while, I still don't enjoy it much. I'd rather be at Disneyland. My biggest issue with the whole thing is that while the original intent of Disneyland, from Walt Disney himself, was to be the exact opposite of a regular old amusement park, offering unique experiences and memories, at DCA, they literally recreated a regular old beach-side amusement park. I just think it goes against what Disneyland was supposed to be. I still like or love most of the things there, but say I only went to the resort for two days, I'd still spend half a day at DCA, the other half at Disneyland, then then other day at just Disneyland.
    “To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney

DCA has had a troubling past... That's where the most "hate" derives from
    I definitely don't hate DCA, I love it! although there are some sections of the park that needs more improvement such as Hollywood Land, Bug's Land, (i know bug's land is needed for kids but i wish it would appeal to wider audiences like Fantasyland and get rid of the cheap carnival type attractions) and Jumping Jellyfish/Golden Zephyr. The park is definitely on track to becoming AMAZING but a little more investment is needed to bring DCA up to Disneyland's class.

• Sock Puppet

Why does this read like a Disney written advertisement for DCA 2.0?

• Suspended

Has anyone else ever noticed that DCA was the first second gate to open with rides that were in other parks? When Epcot, DHS, and DAK opened, all of those rides in their parks have never been seen before and were world premiers. If you wanted the the Great Movie Ride, Indiana Jones, etc you had to go to DHS. If you wanted Spaceship Earth, Listen to the Land, etc you had to go to Epcot. If you wanted It's Tough to be a Bug, Kilimanjaro Safaris, etc. you had to go to DAK. In DCA, half of the rides have already been built at WDW. You did not have to go to DCA to see It's Tough to be a Bug, Muppetvision, etc.

Also, when TDS opened, none of its rides were available in any other Disney park.

•   
    • Insert Hilarious Title

Quote Originally Posted by OliviaVonDrake View Post
    I dunno. Why does this read, to you, like a Disney written advertisement for DCA 2.0?
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post

As far as DCA hate, the problem was it had a 40 year old "Original" to compete with not a 100 yards away. I don't think any of the other Disney parks have had that problem.
    Guests going to DCA certainly compared DCA to Disneyland, but they also compared it to Knott's, SeaWorld and WDW if they've made it out there.

In terms of proximity to Disneyland, I think that DCA & Disneyland both benefit from a certain synergy, especially since DCA now has Carsland. The original intent of adding a second gate was to make DLR a "resort", and in a sense it probably has succeeded at that though it took a while.

Remember, Disneyland is a big draw. If Disney let me setup a popcorn stand in the esplanade, I would benefit from the huge foot traffic. Would I be upset that Disneyland has this great popcorn I have to compete with? Not really, as I would be the one "mooching" off of Disneyland's foot traffic.

Similarly, DCA has benefited from all of the Disneyland foot traffic. Imagine if you had to take a 15 minute bus ride to DCA, the park never would have gotten as far as it did. So, I think that in a certain sense, DCA doesn't compete with Disneyland, it just gets this opportunity to entice guests to get a park hopper. If guests stay 2 or 3 days at the resort, instead of one at Disneyland, the company wins.

Now with Carsland, some guests are planning trips specifically to see it, and they might amble over to Disneyland for the second day of their trip. So, in a way, Disneyland will benefit from Carsland, and vice-versa.

When Animal Kingdom opened in Orlando, the other parks got "cannibalized" as guests flocked to see Animal Kingdom, of course, overall, Animal Kingdom has brought in more guests to the resort over the years since it opened, then if Animal Kingdom never opened. Families planning trips to WDW soon find out that they can't stay just two days and see everything . . .

---------- Post added 09-09-2012 at 12:49 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1971 View Post
    Has anyone else ever noticed that DCA was the first second gate to open with rides that were in other parks?
    Good point.

Though some rides have their twins in the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland, such as the Haunted Mansion, Pirates, the train around the park. In the case of Pirates, WDW guests demanded that they get this attraction (and Western River Expedition was shelved.)

One big reason this happens is money, the development for Muppets and It's Tough to be a Bug had already been done. Alls they had to do was build the same thing in DCA, albeit with some modifications.

So in a very real sense, most of the attractions in DCA are/were "off the shelf". Now we have Carsland.

There are rumors that Carsland might be built in DHS, but I kind of think not because DCA has performed so poorly that I think the best decision is to keep Carsland a DCA exclusive. If they build a DHS Carsland, then international travelers, and folks who live in the middle of the country, might write-off DCA and Disneyland. Whereas if it is kept exclusive, travelers who really want to see it will have to plan a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Anaheim.

• Orange County

Got married at the Disneyland Resort in 2007!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
    Just recently went to Disney California Adventure and was pleasantly surprised at how well the park was done. Now I know they have done a lot recently to improving it with the addition of Carsland and such but I really thought the park was superb and this is coming from a WDW veteran. I don't understand the occasional hate for it.

Here are my thoughts on it:

- World of Color was the most spectacular night show I have ever seen. Impossible to top. It combines everything that is great about Disney,

- Carsland was very immersive. Radiator Springs Racer was a great ride. Definitely makes it worth the trip

- Tower of Terror. Pretty similar to the WDW version. There is a slight upgrade for the WDW version but overall this is still a great ride at DCA and it gets me everytime.

- Good dark rides. Monsters Inc., Ariel are well done.

- Enough thrills to satisfy you. California Screamin' was a coaster that was more thrilling than I thought it would be.

- Theming is great. From Paradise Pear to Carsland to Hollywoodland. They all immersed you in their environment

- Grizzly Run was good. As was the leisurely trek across from it (forget the name of the attraction)

- Aladdin was a marvelous show. Very funny as well.

Overall I certainly don't put DCA above Disneyland. That is impossible and it is the same way in WDW. The Magic Kingdom is the #1 park and always will be. But the other three parks hold up very well on their own. DCA is the same way. It is a fantastic park on its own and combines the Disney atmosphere blended in with other themes.

This pretty much sums up most guests feelings now towards the park.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by OliviaVonDrake View Post
    It doesn't, it reads like people giving their opinions about DCA, and many of them happen to be positive. Any tone of "advertisement" is something you read into it.

i didn't initially have a problem with DCA, i was young & happy to ride some thrill rides. my taste matured & my love of disney grew, though, and i realized how hokey some of the park really was. most areas lacked direction & had little character.

but it did have some really excellent aspects right from the start. grizzly peak & pacific wharf are still some of my favorite lands in the whole resort. and the tile mural from the original entrance was really beautiful. i wish that could have been moved somewhere more appropriate in the resort instead of being lost in the renovation.

so to answer your question, i never really had a hatred for the park, just a desire for what it could be. & now its well on its way to being just that. i still think it could use some more shade though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast