Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Silent Lucidity

Re: Why is there the hate for DCA? I didn't get it

Other than a few rides, the opening DCA was a complete miss. Our first visit to DCA was just before its grand opening. I was so sad to see a McDonalds, a McDonalds inside a Disney Park; cheap did not come close to describing the original DCA look and feel. What you experience today is so different.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
    Overall I certainly don't put DCA above Disneyland. That is impossible and it is the same way in WDW. The Magic Kingdom is the #1 park and always will be. But the other three parks hold up very well on their own. DCA is the same way. It is a fantastic park on its own and combines the Disney atmosphere blended in with other themes.
    You started to answer your own question here. DCA is judged against two things:

1. Disneyland - the park that sits directly across the esplanade from it, and

2. EPCOT Center - the park original sister-park that was built 30 years ago as a second amusement park in Florida

And against those two parks (which are high bars), DCA fails terribly. Even with the the additions made recently, it's not even in the discussion with these two parks.

• "I Break Things"

Here are my thoughts on it:

- World of Color was the most spectacular night show I have ever seen. Impossible to top. It combines everything that is great about Disney,

- Carsland was very immersive. Radiator Springs Racer was a great ride. Definitely makes it worth the trip

- Tower of Terror. Pretty similar to the WDW version. There is a slight upgrade for the WDW version but overall this is still a great ride at DCA and it gets me everytime.

- Good dark rides. Monsters Inc., Ariel are well done.

- Enough thrills to satisfy you. California Screamin' was a coaster that was more thrilling than I thought it would be.

- Theming is great. From Paradise Pear to Carsland to Hollywoodland. They all immersed you in their environment

- Grizzly Run was good. As was the leisurely trek across from it (forget the name of the attraction)

- Aladdin was a marvelous show. Very funny as well.

Overall I certainly don't put DCA above Disneyland. That is impossible and it is the same way in WDW. The Magic Kingdom is the #1 park and always will be. But the other three parks hold up very well on their own. DCA is the same way. It is a fantastic park on its own and combines the Disney atmosphere blended in with other themes.
    Bold Mine... out of your entire list only 2 "original" concepts that were not based on existing Disney properties. DCA 1.0 was a boring mess (hello Super Star Limo anyone). DCA 2.0 is a combination of thrills (Carsland), heavy reliance on Disney properties (Carsland and Paradise Pier) and boring mess window dressing (Paradise Pier and Monsters Inc). They didn't really "solve" the problem so much as spraypaint characters on everything and call it "more Disney". What's wrong with the California theme? We've got everything from gold mines to the air industry to the car culture. Surely there's enough for the creatives at WDI to pull from without the need to pillage the Disney vaults... that's been my complaint the entire time. Instead of presenting a unique experience, you're handed popcorn and replayed the same old movie.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TL59 View Post
    While it certainly is better than it was, and BVS and Cars Land are some of the best work they've done in a while, I still don't enjoy it much. I'd rather be at Disneyland. My biggest issue with the whole thing is that while the original intent of Disneyland, from Walt Disney himself, was to be the exact opposite of a regular old amusement park, offering unique experiences and memories, at DCA, they literally recreated a regular old beach-side amusement park. I just think it goes against what Disneyland was supposed to be. I still like or love most of the things there, but say I only went to the resort for two days, I'd still spend half a day at DCA, the other half at Disneyland, then then other day at just Disneyland.
    Like you, I still head toward Disneyland, as well. Probably 90% of the time.
    But I agree that DCA has been improved markedly.
    My first impressions of it were much like yours. It had a real carnival feel about it with regard to the rides that were there since Paradise Pier was a very visible staple of the park. To me it felt like the kind of experience that wasn't exactly what Walt had in mind. And I'm a self-admitted purist when it comes to things Disney.
    It did, however, have the Disney stamp on it, even if it didn't compare to the original. It took carnival-like rides, and at least made them a little more quality-seeming. And there was some theme"ing" going on which Disney had perfected over the decades in the other parks starting with the original.
    I also wonder if maybe the expectations weren't so super high with all the concept drawings we saw of Westcot, etc. early on and many hoped the old parking lot would be turned into something truly amazing.
    Then a park went in that, while having some Disney-like qualities, didn't hit the mark in all areas with regard to quality.
    Was a little disappointment after all the talk of these other ideas they had.
    It is definitely starting to grow on me, though I will admit that I don't do the Pier area all that much. The vibe just doesn't strike me all that much with what's going on over there, rides-wise, etc.
    It is pretty to look at at night though!

• Parking Lot > DCA

Just recently went to Disney California Adventure and was pleasantly surprised at how well the park was done. Now I know they have done a lot recently to improving it with the addition of Carsland and such but I really thought the park was superb and this is coming from a WDW veteran. I don't understand the occasional hate for it.

Here are my thoughts on it:

- World of Color was the most spectacular night show I have ever seen. Impossible to top. It combines everything that is great about Disney,

- Carsland was very immersive. Radiator Springs Racer was a great ride. Definitely makes it worth the trip

- Tower of Terror. Pretty similar to the WDW version. There is a slight upgrade for the WDW version but overall this is still a great ride at DCA and it gets me everytime.

- Good dark rides. Monsters Inc., Ariel are well done.

- Enough thrills to satisfy you. California Screamin' was a coaster that was more thrilling than I thought it would be.

- Theming is great. From Paradise Pear to Carsland to Hollywoodland. They all immersed you in their environment

- Grizzly Run was good. As was the leisurely trek across from it (forget the name of the attraction)

- Aladdin was a marvelous show. Very funny as well.

In my opinion, the "hate" or negativity about DCA stems from the fact that it was a long, long, fall from what it was supposed to be. Eisner and the team had grand plans of bringing Westcot to Anaheim, along with a HUGE expansion to the Resort (Downtown Disney, etc) which would have been fantastic. Unfortunately, the neighbors of the Mouse were not about it and fought Westcot to the death - literally. The only problem was, the expansion that came with the Westcot deal had already begun. The 5 was being expanded and the surrounding area was being beautified. All for something that wasn't even going to happen. Eisner and his team of bandits had to think quick because the clock was ticking.

Smash cut to Fall of 1995 - Aspen, Colorado. Eisner and his boys held a meeting to try and think of what they could do to compensate for the fallen Westcot idea when it hit them - Why do people vacationing leave Disneyland? To see the rest of California! That was it. They had to bring the rest of California to the Resort. On paper, this sounds great. What it actually was, was a rushed project that fell short of the "Disney" caliber. Eisner had a very "Make it happen, I'll be in my office" approach to this and threw Pressler and Braverman in charge. It's hard enough having the original Disneyland theme park just yards away from your entrance as it is, sprinkle some tacky themes and sub par attractions and you have a recipe for disaster. Budgets were slashed and ideas tossed away. The power duo also mentioned they didn't want WDI designing this park, which didn't go over super well with anyone. Eventually, WDI was put on the job, DCA was finished, and it was only a matter of time before the mistakes needed to be corrected. Unfortunately, we'd have to wait over 10 years.

I can't speak for everyone obviously, but that brief history along with the fact that there was nothing in the park to really cry home about didn't mix super well with me. It was a second gate that proved it couldn't stand on it's own feet. With that being said, the new additions to DCA are great. There are still parts that could use some re-Imagineering but the Company has and is continuing to work really hard to make it a great park. It should have started off that way, but as you can see from above not everything happened as it should.

• Minion

They should just make it all one park officially.
    Effectively, it is anyway, for everyone except the one-park ticket buyers.
    And those people are paying the most per day. So why punish them?

Just make it all Disneyland.

Then you could have a monorail station in Hollywood Land or the Condor Flats area, and the PeopleMover track could be extended to have a station in Hollywood Land. And maybe even a Skyway connecting the north and south sections.

Are you listening Disney?

Then lands in the south section would be free to take on their own themes and not be saddled with the California theme.

Then people would stop complaining about DCA and stop comparing the two parks.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by lunarsongbird View Post
    I also feel like DCA really is an entirely different park with a different feel. I love that I'm going to be able to relax and have some adult beverages in the park. Very different.... But I wouldn't want them bringing alcohol into Disneyland. Is that weird?

noo that is not weird! LOL i totally get that statment!

• Minion

Saying that you don't get the hate for DCA now is sort of like saying, immediately after Thanksgiving Dinner, that you don't get why everyone was so hungry before dinner .

I was never one of the "I liked it better as a parking lot" crowd (though that is a hilarious critique) - a Disney theme park is better than none. It was a terrible concept brought about for all the wrong reasons on an insufficient budget, but the very talented Imagineers managed to squeeze a few good things in, even in DCA 1.0. But it was a very different park. Go to Paradise Pier and look at the contrast between the gingerbread detail of the Toy Story Midway Mania facade and the still-existing carny-themed shops nearby and you'll get an idea of the contrast between now and then.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    They should just make it all one park officially.
    Effectively, it is anyway, for everyone except the one-park ticket buyers.
    And those people are paying the most per day. So why punish them?

Then you could have a monorail station in Hollywood Land or the Condor Flats area, and the PeopleMover track could be extended to have a station in Hollywood Land. And maybe even a Skyway connecting the north and south sections.

Are you listening Disney?

Then lands in the south section would be free to take on their own themes and not be saddled with the California theme.

Then people would stop complaining about DCA and stop comparing the two parks.
    I disagree with that logic. Slapping a big sign over the whole resort and saying "now it's ALL Disneyland" will not change anything realistically. A simple name change can unsaddle DCA from its California theme, though I do like how Lasseter incorporated CA into the new theming since CA was definitely a big part of Walt's life.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    I disagree with that logic. Slapping a big sign over the whole resort and saying "now it's ALL Disneyland" will not change anything realistically. A simple name change can unsaddle DCA from its California theme, though I do like how Lasseter incorporated CA into the new theming since CA was definitely a big part of Walt's life.
    Definitely agree. The parks have two different themes, you can't just combine them. One of the silliest things I've ever heard, actually.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    Definitely agree. The parks have two different themes, you can't just combine them. One of the silliest things I've ever heard, actually.
    I also agree that they should stay two seperate gates. Even if one of those two gates couldn't support itself without it's big brother's help. I think Bob Weaver was indicating that they should just make it all one entity, instead of two seperate ticketed parks. To be fair though, Disneyland has quite few different themes. It's not all a "Disneyland" theme parkwide. You could be in New Orleans Square one minute, and be in Toontown the next.

The first time SO and I visited DL/DCA as adults was 2007. I always loved DCA-it felt like a place to get away from the crowds, especially when the park opened 2 hours later. I'm afraid on our next trip I'm going to be disappointed by what seems to be increasing traffic. I, unlike the locals and hard core fans, hadn't heard anything in the news about what the park could have been to start with so I wasn't affected by any media views. I also couldn't even remember the one time I went there as a kid with my family so I'm not a Disney realist. I was perfectly happy with the park as it was in 2007 forward and I was really sad when they removed the Mali-Boomer just because I liked the ride. I'm sure I'll love the park as is, I'm just happy construction is done--last summer was crazy! I can't wait for our trip in 53 days!
    Last edited by smartlabelprint; 09-11-2012 at 09:28 PM. Reason: correct typographical error

I like DCA. It has significantly more going for it than DHS. However, I wouldn't see DCA without a park hopper. If I'm seeing one park, it's DLP and not DCA.

Quote Originally Posted by TL59 View Post
    While it certainly is better than it was, and BVS and Cars Land are some of the best work they've done in a while, I still don't enjoy it much. I'd rather be at Disneyland. My biggest issue with the whole thing is that while the original intent of Disneyland, from Walt Disney himself, was to be the exact opposite of a regular old amusement park, offering unique experiences and memories, at DCA, they literally recreated a regular old beach-side amusement park. I just think it goes against what Disneyland was supposed to be. I still like or love most of the things there, but say I only went to the resort for two days, I'd still spend half a day at DCA, the other half at Disneyland, then then other day at just Disneyland.
    retro is cool. I actually like paradise pier because that kind of park simply does not exist anymore. The beach side amusement park is now a fantasy from another age, like adventureland.

• 2 shots on the rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by txdisney View Post
    I actually like paradise pier because that kind of park simply does not exist anymore. The beach side amusement park is now a fantasy from another age, like adventureland.
    There are plenty of beach side amusement parks all over the globe. PP is far from unique.

Coney Island, Santa Cruz, Belmont, Santa Monica Pier, Black Pool Pleasure Beach...the list goes on.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123