Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why is there the hate for DCA? I didn't get it

Just recently went to Disney California Adventure and was pleasantly surprised at how well the park was done. Now I know they have done a lot recently to improving it with the addition of Carsland and such but I really thought the park was superb and this is coming from a WDW veteran. I don't understand the occasional hate for it.

Here are my thoughts on it:

- World of Color was the most spectacular night show I have ever seen. Impossible to top. It combines everything that is great about Disney,

- Carsland was very immersive. Radiator Springs Racer was a great ride. Definitely makes it worth the trip

- Tower of Terror. Pretty similar to the WDW version. There is a slight upgrade for the WDW version but overall this is still a great ride at DCA and it gets me everytime.

- Good dark rides. Monsters Inc., Ariel are well done.

- Enough thrills to satisfy you. California Screamin' was a coaster that was more thrilling than I thought it would be.

- Theming is great. From Paradise Pear to Carsland to Hollywoodland. They all immersed you in their environment

- Grizzly Run was good. As was the leisurely trek across from it (forget the name of the attraction)

- Aladdin was a marvelous show. Very funny as well.

Overall I certainly don't put DCA above Disneyland. That is impossible and it is the same way in WDW. The Magic Kingdom is the #1 park and always will be. But the other three parks hold up very well on their own. DCA is the same way. It is a fantastic park on its own and combines the Disney atmosphere blended in with other themes.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Why is there the hate for DCA? I didn't get it

DCA is great...but heck if it's as great as it's Sister Park (Disneyland) it has half the stuff to do and compare ToT to HM? Or Soarin to Pirates...Disneyland still has the better rides

I think most of the "old" hate comes from how cheap it was done.....current hate comes from stuff like the Pier still mainly just off the shelf carnival rides with a Disney Theme as for Monster Inc...it really does not fit theme to me..or do anything new so I think its a fine place holder....I think Disney can do better

Overall I do love DCA but with it being the same price as Disneyland I think is pretty stupid....it has less to do...and most of the E Ticket arn't as well done as the ones at Disney..yet it costs the same?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post

- World of Color was the most spectacular night show I have ever seen. Impossible to top. It combines everything that is great about Disney,
    Couldn't agree more. I don't think they'll ever beat it. You should've seen it when Hunchback was still used. It was even better.

As for the topic at hand, I love DCA. I actually spend more time there than in Disneyland lately. As for PP, I'd hardly call Mermaid, Screamin' and Toy Story, of the shelf carnival rides. Heck even the Fun Wheel has a special Disney signature about it. As someone who's only been to the anaheim parks, I never had any issue with DCA before the revamp. It's certainly better now, but I always enjoyed it. Monsters needs to go, simply because of theming, that's really my only complaint. The could definitely use more rides, and Hollywood still lacks a distinct theme, but it's on the right track.

• Certified in everything

I think there WAS hate for DCA. Remember that 90% of the things you just mentioned were not there on opening day.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• Knight that says Nee!!

DCA had real issues on its opening day and I think a lot of the "hate" stems from that. As far as a second gate that was supposed to compliment and support DL it failed epically during its first decade.

Over time, and as things were changed and added to it, it has really grown on me and my family. I really enjoy it now and though nostalgia still puts DL above DCA for me, it is indeed a good complimentary partner to the original magic kingdom.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    I think there WAS hate for DCA. Remember that 90% of the things you just mentioned were not there on opening day.
    This!

Basically, DCA committed an unforgivable sin to its fans. It dissapointed, and failed to live up to expectations and potential. They really have done much to rectify this, although I do think they still have more work to do.

DCA has really evolved. They've gotten rid of most of the worst elements from back in 2001 (although it was still fun back then). Superstar Limo and the Maliboomer just never fit in with the rest of Disney.

• HYDRA

welcome welcome ztonyg to the MiceChat family
    yes the rides from DCA 1.0 where fun but not for a disney park
    maybe a six flags or cedar fair park
    Take a look at the theme park models I make at kolbykonnection.com

• Minion

I think the harsh complaints about DCA stopped maybe in 2008 or 2009. Somewhere around that time. As of right now, people love it. Now if we're talking about DCA from 2001 to 2007, then I can answer for you. There was absolutely no love or thought that went into the park. It was like walking into an amusement park, rather than a theme park, though I will admit I've always thought Condor Flats was pretty well themed at the time and even now. It was just a big mess and it didn't feel like I was in a Disney park. Every time I was in DCA, I always thought about Disneyland. Now I can happily say I can spend entire days at DCA without really thinking about DL too much. They've done wonders to DCA and it shows. I love that park.

DCA 1.0 was boring to me .... yes horrible to think I know
    But it was, I maybe spent 4 hours there my whole trip? Then later on I started going back into the park just for WOC

Now it's a different story, I spend a full day in DCA and even have a few places I like to eat at!!

• Disney Magic is a Must

I think this article sums it up pretty nicely. Disney upgrades, updates California Adventure Park - USATODAY.com

What do you think all? Did DCA get it's "prince" with it's updates?

• Sock Puppet

harsh comments or not, it never stopped me from going to DCA. I loved it then, i love it now.It is a great park i think and i enjoy it very much, i can spend a very good amount of time at that park! I could spend a good amount of time even before the remodel. I don't understand why the hate of DCA but i guess i will never understand.. I know this one person she used to hate DCA and bad mouth it all the time, now the remodel is done she spend all her time at DCA and well pretty much all of her time at Mad T-Party ( a little sad but oh well)..i guess to each is their own!

• Disney Magic is a Must

I also feel like DCA really is an entirely different park with a different feel. I love that I'm going to be able to relax and have some adult beverages in the park. Very different.... But I wouldn't want them bringing alcohol into Disneyland. Is that weird?

• I love my family!

DCA 1.0 was a mess, more shops and restraunts then attractions, made for a very quick day at the park.

Also, take into account all of the items you listed were either not present when the park opened or are no longer in thier original form.

It has been amazing to see all the positive changes that have been made at the park.

Disney California Adventure is now a complete and worthy sister park for Disneyland.

•   
    • ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME

Blog Entries

I have always loved DCA but now I always find myself going there first and spending more time there then I ever had before
    Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast