Just recently went to Disney California Adventure and was pleasantly surprised at how well the park was done. Now I know they have done a lot recently to improving it with the addition of Carsland and such but I really thought the park was superb and this is coming from a WDW veteran. I don't understand the occasional hate for it.
Here are my thoughts on it:
- World of Color was the most spectacular night show I have ever seen. Impossible to top. It combines everything that is great about Disney,
- Carsland was very immersive. Radiator Springs Racer was a great ride. Definitely makes it worth the trip
- Tower of Terror. Pretty similar to the WDW version. There is a slight upgrade for the WDW version but overall this is still a great ride at DCA and it gets me everytime.
- Good dark rides. Monsters Inc., Ariel are well done.
- Enough thrills to satisfy you. California Screamin' was a coaster that was more thrilling than I thought it would be.
- Theming is great. From Paradise Pear to Carsland to Hollywoodland. They all immersed you in their environment
- Grizzly Run was good. As was the leisurely trek across from it (forget the name of the attraction)
- Aladdin was a marvelous show. Very funny as well.
Overall I certainly don't put DCA above Disneyland. That is impossible and it is the same way in WDW. The Magic Kingdom is the #1 park and always will be. But the other three parks hold up very well on their own. DCA is the same way. It is a fantastic park on its own and combines the Disney atmosphere blended in with other themes.